• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

british rail seat moquette

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
That's shrewd business by the LT museum, helped by Tim Dunn modelling the scarf on TV.
I saw him interviewing someone on one of the Secrets of the Underground episodes and the gentleman in question had his suit lapels and collar made from one of the moquette's.

Richard5608

Forgive me but what was the

moquette used by british rail with the cross country​

Mk2F RFBs before virgin took over and does anybody have a picture of interior of those coaches before virgin took over​

WesternLancer

Established Member
Forgive me but what was the

moquette used by british rail with the cross country​

Mk2F RFBs before virgin took over and does anybody have a picture of interior of those coaches before virgin took over​

I can't recall even tho I'd have seen it often enough - could it have been this - InterCity Dogger Red as shown here?

I hope someone can correct me if this is wrong...

JonathanH

Veteran Member

WesternLancer

Established Member
That would have been in standard coaches, but the first class seating was grey, and not the same pattern.
Thanks! Sorry about that. And I can't seem to bring the 1st class equivalent to mind, let alone find a pic. So I look forward to someone answering this correctly in due course.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Correct, First Class on Intercity was a pinkish grey.
When InterCity started facelifting it's stock with IC70 seating in the mid-1980s the original seat squabs were used. In First Class this meant the original large headrest cushion was retained in white fabric. Once refurbishment started new squabs were used and the First Class headrest cushions changed to the thinner ones shown (in moquette) with anti-macassars. This also saw the side walls carpeted and a pink/purple/grey design end wall (looked better than it sounded).

The Mark 3B coaches had the same design moquette and end walls as the refurbished coaches but in shades of brown! They also had IC80 seats.

Mark 4 FOs used a grey moquette.

I can't recall even tho I'd have seen it often enough - could it have been this - InterCity Dogger Red as shown here?

I hope someone can correct me if this is wrong...
As has been pointed out this was the Standard Class moquette. Used on IC70 seating, early Mark 2 seating where fitted to some Mark 2F TSOs and a handful of Mark 1s (including three ex-NSE RMBs that had been refurbished for Cambridge services and thus had Edward Pond murals on the bulkheads!).

There was a variant of 'Red Dogger' produced for the 30 high density Mark 2F TSOs converted from SOs (in turn ex FOs) and fitted with IC80 seating. I presume this was to help depot staff identify the correct replacement covers depending on seat type.

The Mark 2D TSOs converted from FOs, plus a number of Mark 2D/2E Standard Class coaches gained a rust and grey patterned moquette (with grey headrests where original Mark 2 seating was used) that was designed to be more corporate for InterCity but complimenting the wood vaneer panelling.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
When InterCity started facelifting it's stock with IC70 seating in the mid-1980s the original seat squabs were used. In First Class this meant the original large headrest cushion was retained in white fabric. Once refurbishment started new squabs were used and the First Class headrest cushions changed to the thinner ones shown (in moquette) with anti-macassars. This also saw the side walls carpeted and a pink/purple/grey design end wall (looked better than it sounded).

The Mark 3B coaches had the same design moquette and end walls as the refurbished coaches but in shades of brown! They also had IC80 seats.

Mark 4 FOs used a grey moquette.

As has been pointed out this was the Standard Class moquette. Used on IC70 seating, early Mark 2 seating where fitted to some Mark 2F TSOs and a handful of Mark 1s (including three ex-NSE RMBs that had been refurbished for Cambridge services and thus had Edward Pond murals on the bulkheads!).

There was a variant of 'Red Dogger' produced for the 30 high density Mark 2F TSOs converted from SOs (in turn ex FOs) and fitted with IC80 seating. I presume this was to help depot staff identify the correct replacement covers depending on seat type.

The Mark 2D TSOs converted from FOs, plus a number of Mark 2D/2E Standard Class coaches gained a rust and grey patterned moquette (with grey headrests where original Mark 2 seating was used) that was designed to be more corporate for InterCity but complimenting the wood vaneer panelling.
Thanks and interesting to read this helpful additional detailed info. Would be good to see pics to bring the memories back - they must be out there!

Helvellyn

Established Member
Thanks and interesting to read this helpful additional detailed info. Would be good to see pics to bring the memories back - they must be out there!
I will try track down some pictures later.

I don't think I've seen 'Provincial' mentioned yet, that was a series of blue squares with a dark blue headrest used on early Mark 2 searing. It did get used in some air-conditioned Mark 2Ds and 2Es as well, but I guess the name came about as Provincial freshened up it's large fleet of Mark 2s.

I believe the corresponding First Class moqutte was 'Tiger Stripe' - yes, horizontal orange and black stripes - that made it onto a number of Mark 2D FOs/FKs/BFKs and Mark 2E FOs. It was also used on the first two WR HST sets that gained InterCity livery and IC80 seats in First Class!

WesternLancer

Established Member
I will try track down some pictures later.

I don't think I've seen 'Provincial' mentioned yet, that was a series of blue squares with a dark blue headrest used on early Mark 2 searing. It did get used in some air-conditioned Mark 2Ds and 2Es as well, but I guess the name came about as Provincial freshened up it's large fleet of Mark 2s.

I believe the corresponding First Class moqutte was 'Tiger Stripe' - yes, horizontal orange and black stripes - that made it onto a number of Mark 2D FOs/FKs/BFKs and Mark 2E FOs. It was also used on the first two WR HST sets that gained InterCity livery and IC80 seats in First Class!
Thanks

ref Provincial's 90s hauled coaches that had been re trimmed I do recall this one - Provincial Blue (one of the pics here shows headrests etc in a different tone to the squared fabric on the seat base and back in a Mk2 coach)

Here is a supplier with a slightly different / larger range I think

I can't recall this BR 1st Class upholstery though - when would that date from?

greyman42

Established Member
I seem to remember that in some Mk2 1st class compartments in the 80/90s but the colour looks very 70s.
Yes, i remember it being used at York carriage works during the 70s. They had another one in the same pattern but in black. Both were used for first class seating.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, i remember it being used at York carriage works during the 70s. They had another one in the same pattern but in black. Both were used for first class seating.
Come to think of it I think I recall perhaps seeing that goldish coloured fabric used in first generation DMU 1st class seating areas (perhaps even after they were declassified) or maybe on preserved lines.

Christmas

Did Stagecoach ever use their beachball or chevron moquette on their TOCs fleets?

greyman42

Established Member
Come to think of it I think I recall perhaps seeing that goldish coloured fabric used in first generation DMU 1st class seating areas (perhaps even after they were declassified) or maybe on preserved lines.
Yes it was common in the first generation DMUs in first class, as was the black version. The black version was often used to cover drivers seats in EMUs such as 313s, 314s as well.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes it was common in the first generation DMUs in first class, as was the black version. The black version was often used to cover drivers seats in EMUs such as 313s, 314s as well.
Thanks for confirming my memory.

Your post also leads me to suggest the black one you mention was presumably this - as I have often seen this on drivers seats - even recently I think (this supplier calls it 'smokey')

greyman42

Established Member
Thanks for confirming my memory.

Your post also leads me to suggest the black one you mention was presumably this - as I have often seen this on drivers seats - even recently I think (this supplier calls it 'smokey')

Yes that is the black one. The version in the picture looks slightly different from the original but by and large the same one.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes that is the black one. The version in the picture looks slightly different from the original but by and large the same one.
Thanks - yes I know what you man about being slightly different look.

Torrington fabrics looks better rendition to me (and I suspect this is the correct name too - 'Charcoal Check') - I would assume they all come from the same manufacturing source, there can't be different companies making runs of obsolete BR upholstery after all - the market must be too small for that!

Background:

"Charcoal Check" was introduced in 1967, first appearing in the brand new Mk. 2 coaches which were being introduced by British Rail at this time. Like its contemporary “Trojan”, this design had a long service life, during which it was subject to subtle alterations. We offer the later version, in which the light grey bands are slightly more prominent than in the original.
For many years after it ceased to be specified for passenger use, it became the standard design for upholstering the seats in locomotives and multiple unit cabs – perhaps because it was very good at hiding the dirt!

Helvellyn

Established Member
I can't recall this BR 1st Class upholstery though - when would that date from?
when the Mark 2Fs were introduced the IC70 seats ditched moquette in favour of fabric, which was meant to be machine washable. An orange pattern in First Class and blue (with thin chocolate stripes) in Standard Class. I think BR tried to move to variants of orange and blue for First/Standard Class. So the pattern you have was widely used on refurbished 1st generation DMUs and some hauled stock, with I think a greater use of the existing Bournemouth Blue in Standard Class.

By the early 1980s came Tiger Stripe and Provincial (as mentioned by me above) before the sector specific moquettes.

One other I recall was 'Raspberry Ripple' that was applied to a number of Mark 1 FOs refurbished at Carlisle Upperby for the InterCity Charter fleet. Dark orange or red base colour with thin dark blue horizontal stripes. I don't think it saw use on any other stock?

Richard5608

I'm pretty sure the cross country mark 2fo used before virgin took over was a much darker shade moquette used in the first class section behind the buffet a picture would be great

Helvellyn

Established Member
Seems my memory of 'Tiger Stripe' was a bit off - it was all orange stripes with no black. But still very bold!

6415.jpg

https://www.easternrailservices.co.uk/images/news/6415.jpg

We can't forget the APT-P, which saw BR embrace tartan fabric seat covers!

DSC_0827.jpg

https://fft-keymodelworld.b-cdn.net...blic/inline-images/DSC_0827.jpg?itok=tP9nanpE

DSC_0780.JPG

First Class used Thomson Dress Blue whilst Standard Class used MacLaine of Lochbuie (Coburn)

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
I've found a couple of good photos on Flickr showing the original seating colours of Mark 3s:

1st Class (orange)

2nd Class (blue)
Yes very evocative pics.

I think what we’re missing is pics of first class interior fabrics from when the intercity carriages were refurbed from those original orange and blue fabrics later in the 1980s iirc. Which I think is when std class changed to dogger red.

Seems my memory of 'Tiger Stripe' was a bit off - it was all orange stripes with no black. But still very bold!

6415.jpg

https://www.easternrailservices.co.uk/images/news/6415.jpg

We can't forget the APT-P, which saw BR embrace tartan fabric seat covers!

DSC_0827.jpg

https://fft-keymodelworld.b-cdn.net...blic/inline-images/DSC_0827.jpg?itok=tP9nanpE

DSC_0780.JPG

First Class used Thomson Dress Blue whilst Standard Class used MacLaine of Lochbuie (Coburn)
Always great to be reminded of the APT interior. Brings back good memories of my one trip on it!

williamn

Nice to see a thread on train interiors, which always seem very neglected compared to the exteriors! I find it jarring that so many heritage lines use non-standard fabrics now for refurbs. You wouldn't paint the exterior in any old made-up ivery, so why is the interior any different? I am sure getting replica fabrics made isn't cheap though.

Richard5608

Did the cross country mk2s first class have a darker moquette to other br mk2f open firsts before the virgin refurbs

Just seen this on YouTube. I knew they had darker seats compared to other br mk2f open firsts this was the final moquette before the virgin refurbishment if any body has a photo I'd be most happy to see it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_233313_NewPipe.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_233313_NewPipe.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240402_233253_NewPipe.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_233253_NewPipe.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240402_233234_NewPipe.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_233234_NewPipe.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240402_233227_NewPipe.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_233227_NewPipe.jpg