• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Railways regional totems and signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
I think it was by about 1970 that the old coloured signage had been removed from stations to be replaced by clear black on white, that change having been progressive across the country, beginning in 1965.

I grew up in the North Eastern Region with orange signage, but am too young to remember when the signage was put up after nationalisation. I can't recall it was changed to dark blue when North Eastern was subsumed into Eastern in 1967. Almost certainly not, presumably going direct to the new modern style.

However, it's the Midland mainline that currently interests me. The Friends group at Dronfield Station have a dark blue totem sign on their modern waiting shelter. Dronfield was firmly in the Midland Region after nationalisation and seems to have remained there until 1958. This suggests that there must have been a Midland Region maroon sign for at least 10 years? Which lasted longer, maroon or blue?

That dark blue Dronfield sign is quite recent, however there are colour pictures showing dark blue signage in place at neighbouring Dore & Totley and at least two of those signs still exist. Trouble is those colour pictures are hard to date, but probably early 1960s.

The question is, were there a lot of maroon signs removed and replaced when the lines moved from Midland to Eastern? If so any remaining old maroon signs must be quite rare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The change to black on white signs from the regional colours was introduced around 1965 as part of a wholesale revision of "Corporate Identity" for British Rail undertaken by the Design Panel of BR. The subject is covered in "British Rail 1948-78 - a Journey by Design" by Brian Haresnape, published by Ian Allan in 1979.

Killingworth

Established Member
The change to black on white signs from the regional colours was introduced around 1965 as part of a wholesale revision of "Corporate Identity" for British Rail undertaken by the Design Panel of BR. The subject is covered in "British Rail 1948-78 - a Journey by Design" by Brian Haresnape, published by Ian Allan in 1979.

OK, it seems the rebranding may have been done quite quickly from 1965. It also seems the people who did it were quite happy to give away the totems removed. The one I've seen was in quite good condition.

However it's the change of signage when large parts of the Midland Region's former LMS lines, mostly to the eastern side, were passed into ex-LNER controlled Eastern Region that really interests me. I have a 1955 timetable that shows two routes through Dore & Totley, both in the Midland Region section, as they seem to still be in 1961 (L listed tables, E is Eastern). I thought the change was in 1958.

John Webb

Established Member
I meant to add a rider that I'd no idea about the change from BR(M) to BR(E) totems, but forgot. Sorry I can't help on that.

Veteran Member
I have a 1955 timetable that shows two routes through Dore & Totley, both in the Midland Region section, as they seem to still be in 1961 (L listed tables, E is Eastern). I thought the change was in 1958.

What timetable is that, and what does the bolded phrase mean?

My 59 ER timetable has (apart from the long distance tables) Cudworth to Derby and Sheffield to Chinley at the very end. I suspect Bradshaw would have left things unchanged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.