• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broad Green Station, Liverpool Refurbishment

childwallblues

Established Member
Work has started at Broad Green Station on the Liverpool to Manchester/Wigan line. It appears that they are installing lifts. As a result the subway is closed and passengers arriving from Liverpool have to leave by the entrance on Platform 2 and walk down to Thomas Lane, using the footpath under the railway and back towards the main entrance to access the car park. The Booking Office also is closed and being re-furbished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Well I visited the station yesterday and since my last post over four months ago there have been no improvements whatsoever. Tempoary entrances have been installed to both platforms from off the station and the subway is still closed. No sign of any preparation for Merseytravels much vaunted lifts. What is going on or more to the point what is not going on?

childwallblues

Established Member
That is what I want to know as well. Broad Green is/was a very busy station. The lack of a subway between the two platforms is a major problem. The car park is adjacent to the Liverpool bound platform whilst off the Manchester/Wigan bound platform it is residents parking only due to the presence of Broad Green Hospital.

Tayway

Will the platforms be extended at the same time? I know there was talk of extensions to allow 6 car 323s and 331s to stop, with work already starting further down the line at Lea Green.

scrapy

Established Member
Will the platforms be extended at the same time? I know there was talk of extensions to allow 6 car 323s and 331s to stop, with work already starting further down the line at Lea Green.
No plans for 6 car 323s on the route, 6 car 331s can already stop using SDO/ASDO. These only run on Sundays and will be replaced with 4 car 331s from December. Lea Green (and Newton le Willows) extensions part of transpennine upgrade. No funded plans for lengthening at Broad Green.

8A Rail

Established Member
No plans for 6 car 323s on the route, 6 car 331s can already stop using SDO/ASDO. These only run on Sundays and will be replaced with 4 car 331s from December. Lea Green (and Newton le Willows) extensions part of transpennine upgrade. No funded plans for lengthening at Broad Green.
Reduction in capacity with four car Class 331/1's (were previously it was six car Class 331/0's) being used and still on an hourly service too! Strangely the best service has always been on 'strike' days, always six car Class 331/0's as you got a good chance on getting on board - may be more strike days required! :lol:

As for platform lengthening, it is just not Broadgreen, also would need Wavertree Tech Park, Roby, Huyton, Whiston, with possible Rainhill, St Helens Junction and Earlestown. The latter three I think it is close fit for a six car unit? Another member may be able to add clarity on those three?

I must admit until 'Childwall Blues' mentioned it, I have travelled pass Broadgreen Station over the last few months and it looks always the same, certainly nothing appearing above the fence boards on both platforms. So is there anything getting done?

Pacef8

I had the displeasure of using the station yesterday . No information boards of where the hospital is no shelters it looks abandoned .

8A Rail

Established Member
I had the displeasure of using the station yesterday . No information boards of where the hospital is no shelters it looks abandoned .
Considering the station is being redeveloped, although taking their time, it has only very basic facilities which are the two platforms and not much else. Even room on the platforms is limited. I accept a simple direction sign for hospital would be appreciated though given its the nearest station.

childwallblues

Established Member
In my last post I stated that they had started the lift shaft. Well no progress has been made whatsoever. In fact things have got worse with more areas cordoned off on Platform 1 so that there is no undercover waiting area. The subway has been closed for nine months now with the prospect of another 9-12 months closed. There was 24 hour access to the subway and I was told that it was a public right of way. If so someone is breaking the law.

childwallblues

Established Member
I’m sure steve rotherham will be all over this on Monday .
Very unlikely. There is currently no good news in this story. I wrote an e-mail to Customer Service at Northern on my return home this morning and have both been "holding replies".
However I get the feeling thatthey will try to fob me off with their future plans. This is not what I want. What I want to know is what has been happening in the past nine months but will they tell the truth?

Geeves

Established Member

According to that notice the construction company is Input group. Lots of stations around the Northern network are currently suffering from their awful work. We had heard the company has gone into liquidation which would explain why no work has been happening.

childwallblues

Established Member
I have received an interim reply from Merseytravel but await a reply from Northern Rail. I have also written to the local councillors.

childwallblues

Established Member
Travelled throgh the station to Lime Street. The electrics for the lift are now complete and barriers have been removed from the roadway.

HUY2ROB

I am surprised they would do the electrics before it was weatherproof. Lots of men in orange around on Wednesday including one brushing pumped-out water across the footpath into the road.