• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bromley North Line Suspended After Severe Bridge Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The Bromley North branch is currently shut after a high crane on a lorry struck the bridge, destroyed the parapet and left the structure unsafe for trains to pass over and vehicles to pass under.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
[...] whilst the Bromley North branch is currently shut after a hiab crane on a lorry struck the bridge, destroyed the parapet and left the structure unsafe for trains to pass over and vehicles to pass under.
Indeed. On the matter of this one a friend of mine who, I think, is not on this forum, gave me permission to post these here. The bridge in question is (was?) at New Street Hill which is between Grove Park and Sundridge Park and I think it safe to say that no trains will pass between Grove Park and Bromley North for at least a week, probably longer. The bridge, according to a view on Google Earth dated 08/2020, had warning signs advising a maximum height of 3.8m.

Dave

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1644863507834.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644863507834.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 754
  • FB_IMG_1644863537821.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644863537821.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the left hand picture, does that look like a broken wrought iron ”U” girder leaning against the wall? That suggests quite a high speed impact?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hopefully without dragging the thread too far off topic, is it likely that the commercial vehicle's insurers are likely to very soon be facing a sizable insurance claim, following this spectacular display of apparently sub-optimal driving skills?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hopefully without dragging the thread too far off topic, is it likely that the commercial vehicle's insurers are likely to very soon be facing a sizable insurance claim, following this spectacular display of apparently sub-optimal driving skills?
My thoughts also. I know times are hard but I can't help thinking that someone might be without a job in the morning too.

Dave

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

one imagines that to be the case, as it is for most bridge strikes where the culprit vehicle is identified.

DaveHarries

Established Member
There’s not really much holding it in position if you look at it on Streetview.
From Ground Level:

The crane (which, I presume, is what jolted the bridge enough to cause such damage) must have hit the bridge underside hard to take that parapet wall off. Either that or the crane wasn't fully lowered but you might think there would be some means of adjusting these vehicles so that they can't be driven unless the crane is fully lowered: if there isn't then there should be.

Dave

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
From Ground Level:

The crane (which, I presume, is what jolted the bridge enough to cause such damage) must have hit the bridge underside hard to take that parapet wall off. Either that or the crane wasn't fully lowered but you might think there would be some means of adjusting these vehicles so that they can't be driven unless the crane is fully lowered: if there isn't then there should be.

Dave
There seemingly aren’t interlocks, there have been a few similar incidents including a tipper truck somewhere last year with its whole load bed raised.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member

Looks like a severe bridge strike has caused the Bromley North Line to be suspended until further notice...

Looks a right old mess.

Part of the article reads:
A lorry transporting a crane knocked clear the rail bridge’s girder and entire parapet, making it unsafe to carry trains, at around 3pm on New Street Hill.

Southeastern’s Bromley North branch has been closed. The impact has also made it unsafe for traffic to pass beneath, blocking access to part of the Sunbridge Park area.
Network Rail is working with bridge inspectors and police to arrange a safe route for people living on the other side.
The line is blocked to trains and the road to cars until it can be properly inspected, and the debris cleared.

A spokesperson for Network Rail said: “We're sorry to say the @Se_Railway #BromleyNorth branch is closed after this dramatic bridge strike on New Street Hill.

MotCO

Established Member
That is not your usual bridge strike! The newspaper report says that the bridge is the only access point by car in or out of that area of Sundridge Park, so I hope a quick fix can be arranged.

Saint66

That is not your usual bridge strike! The newspaper report says that the bridge is the only access point by car in or out of that area of Sundridge Park, so I hope a quick fix can be arranged.
Scaffolders are on sight as we speak building a temporary structure below the bridge to make pedestrian and road access safe according to the NR Kent and Sussex Twitter feed.

hwl

Established Member
The newspaper report is a straight copy'n'paste job from the NR Kent & Sussex Route Twitter feed:

We're sorry to say the @Se_Railway #BromleyNorth branch is closed after this dramatic bridge strike on New Street Hill. You can see the girder and entire parapet have been knocked clear and it's unsafe to run trains. Importantly - it is also unsafe to pass under. /1

snowball

Established Member
The newspaper report says that the bridge is the only access point by car in or out of that area of Sundridge Park
It appears that even without the bridge strike an area comprising several streets is inaccessible to vehicles over 13ft high.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There seemingly aren’t interlocks, there have been a few similar incidents including a tipper truck somewhere last year with its whole load bed raised.
The vehicles have to comply with certain standards as would the HIAB equipment but whether the two integrated together need some sort of sign off by the DVSA i doubt.

Anyhow i see NR are saying line will be opened tomorrow morning so couldn't have struct the track supporting beams.

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailSE/status/1493300710749974530
UPDATE on Sundridge Park - work to clear debris and build a scaffolding crash deck is underway and pedestrian access should be sorted by around 2130, with full road access by around 0130. We aim to have @Se_Railway running trains by first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you.

paul1609

Established Member
one imagines that to be the case, as it is for most bridge strikes where the culprit vehicle is identified.
You have to really ask why the hiab was going under the bridge. If I was a betting man my money would be on it going to the rail industry site at the end of North Street Hill where the road passes over the bridge on the Southeast Mainline that has been reduced to a narrow footpath for some time for refurbishment.

brad465

Established Member
Do we know if a train was running on the branch at the time, and what side of the bridge it was at the time of the strike?

MoleStation

That's pretty amazing that services seem to be normal-ish tomorrow, with kind of that bridge attack by some sort of evil warrior!
hoho

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Do we know if a train was running on the branch at the time, and what side of the bridge it was at the time of the strike?
Depends precisely what time the bridge bash actually was, but given that the first cancellation seems to have been the 1402 from Grove Park to Bromley North, and noting that the 1345 from Bromley North to Grove Park did run, then the unit was probably up at the Grove Park end of the branch line at the time of the incident.

brad465

Established Member
With a TSR I imagine. Quick work by NR though.

Dave
Just as well there's a reduced frequency on the branch at the moment (especially no peak time 4tph frequency), a TSR may well have disrupted pre-covid frequencies, given in the peaks the branch had to be double manned to cope with a 2-3 min turnaround time at each end.

Tomnick

Established Member
An interesting one - from the photos in @DaveHarries' post above, it looks as though the road vehicle has managed to pass under most of the bridge span, only striking that very last girder carrying the parapet, undoubtedly relatively easily dislodged compared to those carrying the track itself. It looks like the road starts to climb noticeably immediately after the bridge - just enough to turn a near-miss into a slight but dramatic collision?

MotCO

Established Member
An interesting one - from the photos in @DaveHarries' post above, it looks as though the road vehicle has managed to pass under most of the bridge span, only striking that very last girder carrying the parapet, undoubtedly relatively easily dislodged compared to those carrying the track itself. It looks like the road starts to climb noticeably immediately after the bridge - just enough to turn a near-miss into a slight but dramatic collision?

I had assumed that the lorry struck the bridge before trying to go under it, but given that the side of the bridge struck is on the way out of the residential area (and the bridge is the only way in), I agree that the lorry struck the bridge on the way out. As such, most of the force would have been directed away from the bridge, which might explain why the bridge could be opened to trains so quickly.

plugwash

Established Member
Scaffolders are on sight as we speak building a temporary structure below the bridge to make pedestrian and road access safe according to the NR Kent and Sussex Twitter feed.
I presume that means they don't think the bridge is likely to outright collapse (if it did I can't see scafolding helping) but that they do think some more bits may fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.