• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Budget hotels discussion

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes, I remember paying about £45 for a night at the Waterloo Travelodge in July 2020.

I was looking at a few Travelodges/Premier Inns down Cornwall in a few weeks and they are near the £200 a night mark. This is midweek and not school holidays. Same for Jersey.
In a few weeks, so I'm guessing end of June or early July time?

In that case it is prime tourist season for the likes of Cornwall & Jersey where those whom don't have kids make for holidays before the schools break up and prices shoot even higher

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The Travelodge wifi isn't part of Virgin Media's network of hotspots though. Travelodge pay Virgin Media's connectivity side to look after the wifi infrastructure and configuration, but it's still Travelodge's wifi and they will be taking all the income.
I was talking to a hotel manager about this on a stay earlier this year and they said that actually t l do not make any money whatsoever from the Wi-Fi
Apparently something that comes up frequently is the possibility of taking it in-house in order that they are able to reprice it to either make some money or indeed reduce costs to the customer and as it's something they get to hide number of complaints about but are able to do nothing as it's totally out of their control

dosxuk

Established Member
I was talking to a hotel manager about this on a stay earlier this year and they said that actually t l do not make any money whatsoever from the Wi-Fi

Not making any money from it is different to getting the income from the service.

Apparently something that comes up frequently is the possibility of taking it in-house in order that they are able to reprice it to either make some money or indeed reduce costs to the customer and as it's something they get to hide number of complaints about but are able to do nothing as it's totally out of their control

Virgin Media are a B2B supplier of the connectivity to Travelodge - it is operated on their behalf. If they wanted to ditch Virgin, they would have to contract another connectivity supplier to get the connections, and then operate a customer contact centre to deal with all the random problems people have while trying to connect to wifi. Many operators have experimented with this, and then quickly gone back to the solutions which already exist - they're simply a lot less hassle than doing it yourself.

The pricing is already set by Travelodge - if they wanted to make more money from it then they could simply put the prices up. I suspect most of their users are already expensing it anyway.

takno

Established Member
Not making any money from it is different to getting the income from the service.

Virgin Media are a B2B supplier of the connectivity to Travelodge - it is operated on their behalf. If they wanted to ditch Virgin, they would have to contract another connectivity supplier to get the connections, and then operate a customer contact centre to deal with all the random problems people have while trying to connect to wifi. Many operators have experimented with this, and then quickly gone back to the solutions which already exist - they're simply a lot less hassle than doing it yourself.

The pricing is already set by Travelodge - if they wanted to make more money from it then they could simply put the prices up. I suspect most of their users are already expensing it anyway.
It's fascinating how much of the complexity and need for a customer service centre disappear when you just don't charge for it, particularly since the connections themselves and the access points have become hugely more robust in the past few years. Expenses or not I'd be surprised if there's actually a price point that provides more net revenue to the hotel than free.

As to whether users are expensing it, I'd be pretty surprised if that many users were doing - most people who need to be online when they're away will have access to a corporate mobile with a data plan, and realistically anybody who is away a significant amount is also going to have a personal data plan.

JamesT

Established Member
It's fascinating how much of the complexity and need for a customer service centre disappear when you just don't charge for it, particularly since the connections themselves and the access points have become hugely more robust in the past few years. Expenses or not I'd be surprised if there's actually a price point that provides more net revenue to the hotel than free.

As to whether users are expensing it, I'd be pretty surprised if that many users were doing - most people who need to be online when they're away will have access to a corporate mobile with a data plan, and realistically anybody who is away a significant amount is also going to have a personal data plan.
Another reason for outsourcing it is you're also outsourcing liability. When the police come along and want to know who that connection was yesterday, you can point them at the network provider who has all the responsibility with complying with legislation.

route101

Established Member
In a few weeks, so I'm guessing end of June or early July time?

In that case it is prime tourist season for the likes of Cornwall & Jersey where those whom don't have kids make for holidays before the schools break up and prices shoot even higher
W/C 17th of June.

Crossover

Established Member
Premier Inn is our go to when we go away and we do sometimes have the breakfasts - my partner is coeliac (can't eat anything gluten containing) and the PI's are generally pretty good with it. Travelodges in my mind are not as good, though we did once stay in the Middlesbrough one as the PI was full and it was OK (didn't have breakfast though, and the shower didn't drain properly!). Not all PI's are equal though and we stayed at the one in Sunbury last year and it was absolutely dreadful - sealed rooms and the air conditioning wasn't working, making it a greenhouse even in the relatively cool May holidays. We did get our money back though with little ado.

One niggle I have with the PI's at the moment is them changing 13A sockets by the bed for USB sockets. My partner has a CPAP and it needs a 13A socket. We do carry around a 5m extension lead (after learning the hard way and having to rearrange a room (not PI) that didn't have any bedside sockets, to have the bed head by the desk instead where there was power) so it isn't the end of the world, but if they think people only use it for charging phones, then they are wrong! Wouldn't even be so bad if they fitted the dual units, with 13A socket and a USB port.

Interesting to see what @crosscity has mentioned - our experience at one PI hotel restaurant in particular is that there are never enough staff and service can be slow even with hardly any tables taken - both at breakfast and "evening" meals (we have visited separate to staying sometimes to eat with family)

Anyone experienced one of the Days Inn hotels?

Specifically one of those between Carlisle and Glasgow, as will be needing an overnight stay later in the year.
Not recently, but I stayed at some when I worked for Welcome Break (at their services), be it over a decade ago.

Back then, I would have probably put them on a par with Travelodge, but things may have changed since then

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I'll be honest I'm not quite sure of the point of Premier Inn in some markets as they seem to be often priced a fair bit higher than other budget offerings but not much lower than some of the "nicer" hotels.

I travel to London a fair bit for work and at least the times I've travelled the Premier Inn near our london office has essentially been the same price as the Hilton around the corner, and I know which one I'd rather stay at!

And when I travel for leisure it is uaually essentially just to have a bed for the night after a gig, so any of the budget options are usually good enough, and Premier Inn always lose on price there too.

Howardh

Established Member
Queens Hotel in Brighton is a reasonably budget hotel although not in a chain. Booked a single room, but was upgraded, for no extra charge, for a room with a double bedroom and adjoining lounge with sofa, overlooking the sea!

Travelodge won't do that! On the downside was the noise from customers of the adjacent all-night takeaway which can be really annoying when trying to sleep.

Not yet been in a chain budget hotel with issues from outside!

takno

Established Member
One niggle I have with the PI's at the moment is them changing 13A sockets by the bed for USB sockets. My partner has a CPAP and it needs a 13A socket. We do carry around a 5m extension lead (after learning the hard way and having to rearrange a room (not PI) that didn't have any bedside sockets, to have the bed head by the desk instead where there was power) so it isn't the end of the world, but if they think people only use it for charging phones, then they are wrong! Wouldn't even be so bad if they fitted the dual units, with 13A socket and a USB port.
That would be massively irritating. My laptop charger charges all my devices perfectly now, but as a result I quite often don't have a USB lead on me when I travel, since I virtually never use them.

Crossover

Established Member
I'll be honest I'm not quite sure of the point of Premier Inn in some markets as they seem to be often priced a fair bit higher than other budget offerings but not much lower than some of the "nicer" hotels.

I travel to London a fair bit for work and at least the times I've travelled the Premier Inn near our london office has essentially been the same price as the Hilton around the corner, and I know which one I'd rather stay at!

And when I travel for leisure it is uaually essentially just to have a bed for the night after a gig, so any of the budget options are usually good enough, and Premier Inn always lose on price there too.
Some of us don't have much option when travelling with work - our company policy is we can only stay in Travelodges and Premier Inns. It is a bit daft as it means the company will probably end up spending more on accommodation, not less like they probably envisage, as other chains or independents can be cheaper

That would be massively irritating. My laptop charger charges all my devices perfectly now, but as a result I quite often don't have a USB lead on me when I travel, since I virtually never use them.
It is also USB-A they are fitting. A lot of devices now have USB-C at the plug end, too!

takno

Established Member
It is also USB-A they are fitting. A lot of devices now have USB-C at the plug end, too!
Certainly USB-C to USB-C would be the more useful cable for me to carry if I did. It's not like any of the devices I own apart from low power chargers even has a USB-A port.

railfan99

Established Member
In what way are Travelodge too basic? The rooms are the same, one is blue the other is purple.

I have found Travelodges have defects such as carpet that rises up in corridors, and extremely basic furnishings.

The whole experience at Premier Inns (even the lower quality rooms) seems way better.

Cross City

Some of us don't have much option when travelling with work - our company policy is we can only stay in Travelodges and Premier Inns. It is a bit daft as it means the company will probably end up spending more on accommodation, not less like they probably envisage, as other chains or independents can be cheaper

Companies who regularly use PI won't be paying the advertised consumer rate you'd pay if booking a room yourself. They bulk buy rooms at a set price at the beginning of the financial year.

Crossover

Established Member
Companies who regularly use PI won't be paying the advertised consumer rate you'd pay if booking a room yourself. They bulk buy rooms at a set price at the beginning of the financial year.
We have to book them and claim them on expenses, so no such discounts that I’m aware of!

takno

Established Member
That will apply to a proportion of them, and then mostly only ones who are managing travel through a third party, and even then the third party will probably end up taking most of the benefit anyway. A huge proportion of corporate bookings are done by companies who either just do it on the card but have a policy because "the finance manager heard they were the cheapest", or have a corporate account which offers a nominal tiny discount, and provides the finance team with a single account to settle.

dosxuk

Established Member
My work has an unofficial policy to use Premier Inn / Travelodge as first choice - not because they're the cheapest, but because they're the most reliable. We used to use a load of independents, but the number of issues meant they became very unpopular with the people staying in them - not least the turning up at 10pm to find the building locked and no sign of a way in which seems to be very common. Uncomfortable beds, no desk, terrible shower, noise are all problems that would often get reported back with a "please don't book this place again" after the job - all issues which are very few and far between with Premier Inn / Travelodge.

There's still a few independent places we use, but they're ones we know are good, rather than picked because they were the cheapest option that night in the area.

Kite159

Veteran Member
My work has an unofficial policy to use Premier Inn / Travelodge as first choice - not because they're the cheapest, but because they're the most reliable. We used to use a load of independents, but the number of issues meant they became very unpopular with the people staying in them - not least the turning up at 10pm to find the building locked and no sign of a way in which seems to be very common. Uncomfortable beds, no desk, terrible shower, noise are all problems that would often get reported back with a "please don't book this place again" after the job - all issues which are very few and far between with Premier Inn / Travelodge.

There's still a few independent places we use, but they're ones we know are good, rather than picked because they were the cheapest option that night in the area.
That is one key advantage the chain hotels sometimes have over independent places, generally they have a 24 hour front desk so if you do happen to rock up at 23;30* you can get checked in

(* Ie travelling after work on a weekday)

Howardh

Established Member
That is one key advantage the chain hotels sometimes have over independent places, generally they have a 24 hour front desk so if you do happen to rock up at 23;30* you can get checked in

(* Ie travelling after work on a weekday)
Many now are reception-free, you just put your booking into the machine, and swipe a blank card and you're in. However someone has to answer the buzzer to let you in in the first place!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Many now are reception-free, you just put your booking into the machine, and swipe a blank card and you're in. However someone has to answer the buzzer to let you in in the first place!
The Premier Inns I have used this year (double figure stays but fewer physical locations) seem to have the self check-in kiosk out of use. One that I did try (because the staff member was checking someone in) wouldn't let me check-in and directed me back to the staff member. I assumed they were keen to upsell me a meal and breakfast.

No issues with gritty carpets for a while either, the vacuum cleaners must be back in use.

route101

Established Member
The Premier Inns I have used this year (double figure stays but fewer physical locations) seem to have the self check-in kiosk out of use. One that I did try (because the staff member was checking someone in) wouldn't let me check-in and directed me back to the staff member. I assumed they were keen to upsell me a meal and breakfast.

No issues with gritty carpets for a while either, the vacuum cleaners must be back in use.
Yes, I haven't managed to use one of them self check in machines for a while now.

Andyh82

Established Member
There seems to be a strange situation where there is no Orange Juice on offer at Premier Inn’s

I stayed at one where it had been substituted with ‘tropical juice’ (hastily written in pen on the place mat the jug was on), so I thought it was a one off

I stayed later at another hotel and it was out of stock there as well, there was a sign up citing a supply issue beyond their control. Looking on Twitter it seems to have been going on nationwide since March at least

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member
I find the hassle of having too many chargers and USB cables is much much less than the hassle of not having enough.

On eBay, you can get 10cm cables which are compact and useful to charge up from a battery pack. I need a micro USB cable for my MP3 player and my wife's phone, and USB-C for my phone and laptop. The cables are small enough to fit into the case for my spare reading glasses.

My laptop needs a 130W charger, but I have another 45W one with folding pins, which I can use as a backup. The laptop grumbles about it, but it will charge slowly.

I once left a laptop power supply at an office that I had visited, another time one failed. It was useful to have alternatives. I've had hotel rooms and trains where it helps to have different options with chargers, adaptors for foreign sockets, and USB leads for keeping laptops and gadgets charged up. That lets me work and keeps me entertained while I'm travelling.

takno

Established Member
I find the hassle of having too many chargers and USB cables is much much less than the hassle of not having enough.

On eBay, you can get 10cm cables which are compact and useful to charge up from a battery pack. I need a micro USB cable for my MP3 player and my wife's phone, and USB-C for my phone and laptop. The cables are small enough to fit into the case for my spare reading glasses.

My laptop needs a 130W charger, but I have another 45W one with folding pins, which I can use as a backup. The laptop grumbles about it, but it will charge slowly.

I once left a laptop power supply at an office that I had visited, another time one failed. It was useful to have alternatives. I've had hotel rooms and trains where it helps to have different options with chargers, adaptors for foreign sockets, and USB leads for keeping laptops and gadgets charged up. That lets me work and keeps me entertained while I'm travelling.
Sounds like a lot of luggage. This has all got to fit in the underseat plane allowance remember.

jon81uk

There seems to be a strange situation where there is no Orange Juice on offer at Premier Inn’s

I stayed at one where it had been substituted with ‘tropical juice’ (hastily written in pen on the place mat the jug was on), so I thought it was a one off

I stayed later at another hotel and it was out of stock there as well, there was a sign up citing a supply issue beyond their control. Looking on Twitter it seems to have been going on nationwide since March at least

Bad weather in Brazil has led to a worldwide shortage of orange juice.

I would assume that for Premier Inn it has risen to a price where they can no longer offer it within their £9.99 per person deal.

bspahh

Established Member
Sounds like a lot of luggage. This has all got to fit in the underseat plane allowance remember.
If I'm travelling for work, for up to a week, I use a 25L backpack which is too long for the Easyjet/Ryanair rules for a free bag. I'm on expenses, so I pay for it as a cabin bag, but I still keep it in the footwell rather than an overhead locker.

The two 10cm USB cables and a USB A to C adaptor fit into a 9cm * 5cm * 3cm case with a folding pair of reading glasses.

I use one of these cable organisers (20.3cm * 12.9cm * 7.2cm), for the 130W and 45W USB chargers, european plug adaptor, alarm clock, mouse, USB C adaptor with various ports, USB thumb drive, spare ear bud headphones, pen, sewing kit, two 4cm long screwdrivers, safety pin etc.

The mains lead for the laptop fits in the case for my headset. I'll then have a 15" laptop and a 12" Chromebook, toiletries and some clothes.

Belperpete

Established Member
Travelodge won't do that! On the downside was the noise from customers of the adjacent all-night takeaway which can be really annoying when trying to sleep.

Not yet been in a chain budget hotel with issues from outside!
Generally the chains will give a warning on their website if there are likely to be noise issues. Stayed at a couple of TLs where there was unbearable noise from the Aircon units on the roof, and had to be moved to a room on a lower floor.

One of the reasons I like Ibis hotels is that as a member I will often get upgraded to a better room. As you say, doesn't happen at TLs and PIs as they generally only have one room standard.

I have found Travelodges have defects such as carpet that rises up in corridors, and extremely basic furnishings.

The whole experience at Premier Inns (even the lower quality rooms) seems way better.
Agreed that some TLs can be very basic, and the standards can also vary enormously from hotel to hotel. Yes, the experience at PIs is way better, but then you would expect it to be, as you pay way more.

railfan99

Established Member
Agreed that some TLs can be very basic, and the standards can also vary enormously from hotel to hotel. Yes, the experience at PIs is way better, but then you would expect it to be, as you pay way more.

Do you?

On two consecutive year trips to the UK/Europe in recent times, while I didn't stay in a TL and PI in the same city, TLs were not much (if at all) cheaper than PIs. I booked about three months in advance.

Granted, one has to be wary of comparing apples with oranges.