• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buffet and restaurant cars in Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I've been trying to determine whether services with buffet or restaurant cars would ever have operated from Marden station in Kent.

From what I can tell, boat trains consisting of 4CEP-4BEP-4CEP units would have passed through the station in the 60s and 70s, but I doubt they would have stopped.

Does anyone happen to have any useful info, or know where I might view old timetables online to learn more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I've checked the 1963 timetable, and again the answer is no.

As well as the boat trains, some but by no means all the Kent Coast expresses (first stop Ashford) also carried buffet cars as in steam days.

However Marden was an insignificant station back then, and its regular off-peak service was provided by a single 2HAP detached from the xx10 semi-fast, and peak hour trains were limited. It developed as a commuter station significantly later than Staplehurst and Headcorn, and my guess is that by that time the remaining BEP workings had disappeared!

steamybrian

Established Member
A quick flick through Southern's 1950 timetable see http://timetableworld.com/book_viewer.php?id=6&section_id=1765 suggests the answer is no
The line was not electrified until 1961 when CEPs/BEPs started operating.

In my opinion there would have been no off peak services operated by buffet cars but there "may" have been one or two Monday- Friday commuter services. I was commuting from Tonbridge- Waterloo between 1976-1991 on services that originated from Ashford (and east thereof) but cannot remember the trains that had a BEP in the formation and if they stopped at Marden.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember reading in a book (can't remember which one) that the BEP's disappeared from the SE division in around 1983. This would have been towards the end of the CEP refurbishment programme when I think some BEP's were refurbished as CEP's.

AY1975

Established Member
I believe that the South Eastern Division dispensed with buffet cars in about 1980/81.

You're right, most BEPs were refurbished as CEPs, and the seven refurbished BEPs went to the South Western Division mainly for use on the Portsmouth Direct Line. There were also four 4-TEP units with an unrefurbished buffet and the rest of the set refurbished - these went to the Central Division but were later converted to standard 4-CEPs.

In the late 1980s, after a few years without any on-train catering, refreshment trolleys were introduced on SE Division services, but these too have recently been withdrawn as most passengers nowadays prefer to buy before boarding.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe that the South Eastern Division dispensed with buffet cars in about 1980/81.

You're right, most BEPs were refurbished as CEPs, and the seven refurbished BEPs went to the South Western Division mainly for use on the Portsmouth Direct Line. There were also four 4-TEP units with an unrefurbished buffet and the rest of the set refurbished - these went to the Central Division but were later converted to standard 4-CEPs.

In the late 1980s, after a few years without any on-train catering, refreshment trolleys were introduced on SE Division services, but these too have recently been withdrawn as most passengers nowadays prefer to buy before boarding.

I used to enjoy a bottle of Spitfire from the trolley on the way to Charing Cross.

SandsofEss

Thanks all for confirming. When I'm craving kippers and a cuppa on the morning train at least I now know none of my commuting predecessors got to enjoy that pleasure either!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thanks all for confirming. When I'm craving kippers and a cuppa on the morning train at least I now know none of my commuting predecessors got to enjoy that pleasure either!

Maybe if they'd changed at Tonbridge they might have ?

Some of the thumpers on the Hastings line had buffets as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.