• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buffet trolleys - time they started taking cash again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In 2022, I have made one payment in cash - to the window cleaner. He didn't take any other type of payment and it was always a pain remembering to get some cash out when he was due. And sometimes embarrassing when I'd forgotten (although not too embarrassing as he only lives round the corner so easy to drop it off later).

I don't have this problem any more, because he's now got a little card machine attached to his phone. He said he got it because so many people don't have cash to hand any more, and it was getting bothersome keeping track of who owed what.

My window cleaner does it by direct debit. He shows up, cleans the windows and I am charged, whether I'm in or not. No intervention at all required on my part bar remembering to leave the back gate unlocked. Flexibility of time for him, flexibility of not being in for me.

Yes I am finally starting to see that logic. I have one of my cards set up for NFC but not the other. That is purely because no matter what I do it seems my bank is incapable of accepting that I have changed my mobile number both with someone on the phone and in the app. Until it updates, then I cannot do the authorising of any new cards being added. If it wasn't for the hassle of changing bank details with work, and don't get me started on how unreliable that system is, then I'd be moving on to a bank that doesn't frustrate me!

The Current Account Switching Service should (I say should) deal with that for you, plus all your DDs etc. The only thing it won't deal with is continuous authority card payments (which are a bad thing anyway so maybe an opportunity to switch any of those which accept DD to that instead). I'm with Monzo and happy with it, though in that banking model I'm led to believe Starling is slightly better these days in terms of features.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
My window cleaner does it by direct debit. He shows up, cleans the windows and I am charged, whether I'm in or not. No intervention at all required on my part bar remembering to leave the back gate unlocked. Flexibility of time for him, flexibility of not being in for me.

My previous window cleaner did that, except that for the 'shows up' part. Hence he is no longer my window cleaner!

The current one lets people pay by Faster Payment as well as by card, which is what I've started doing now I'm not always in during the day when he comes.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It is troubling that the retailers have such control over how we spend our money.

Everywhere should accept what the customer wants. After all, it's them that want our buisness and any buisness who is customer facing should do what the customer requires, not the other way around.

Transactions should always be quick and easy as well as being safe and secure. If the buisness doesn't have security measures in place then why is that the fault of the customer ? Everywhere I've worked with cash has had a safe sonit shouldn't be too hard.

This is, after all, the 21st century. Why on earth aren't they accepting my Bitcoin !!! I want to pay in crypto currency and they never have the facility to do so. I don't use a credit card because I am.never eligible and shouldn't be forced to use 'credit' and keep myself in debt. That's 'the man' keeping people down. Contactless isn't secure enough and every time I have to use it I have to take out my RFID blocker to 'tap'. I'd use GPay but Google aren't trustworthy and when I've done that in the past I get too many targeted ads and I've been spammed by Boux ads for the past month !!!!!!! My phone isn't any better because it's Huawei and the Government said not to trust anything Chinese.

When will they finally accept Crypto or NFTs :( It's not fair

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK folks it looks like we are done here.

The subject of cash vs card has been debated to death here and in other threads so lets call it a day (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.