• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bursledon to Winchester via Southampton

fandroid

Established Member
Is Bursledon to Winchester via a change at Southampton a permitted route? It involves a degree of doubling back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Is Bursledon to Winchester via a change at Southampton a permitted route? It involves a degree of doubling back.
Yes.
Via St Denys is the permitted route, and then there is an "easement" 700308 (http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf):
Customers travelling via Southampton Airport Parkway to Bitterne, Woolston, Sholing, Netley, Hamble, Bursledon, Swanwick, Fareham and beyond may double back between St Denys and Southampton Central. This easement applies in both directions.

1706863731533.png

fandroid

Established Member
Thanks. That makes my ticket purchase a bit simpler for a complicated set of journeys tomorrow

jfollows

Established Member
Back in the day, before the Routeing Guide, in 1986 or so, I used to travel Fareham-Southampton-Waterloo because I liked the non-stop run from Southampton to London. Nobody ever queried my routing. However this particular journey isn't a permitted route today because the Fareham-London route is via Eastleigh and not via Southampton Airport and so the easement above doesn't apply. At least back then when I went via Eastleigh the connections were held.

Bursledon was good for the Jolly Sailor I seem to recall.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Bursledon was good for the Jolly Sailor I seem to recall.
I recall many enjoyable trips from St Denys to Bursledon, several pints in the Jolly Sailor, and a rather more inebriated trip back, all on a 3H, which IIRC didn’t have toilets!

fandroid

Established Member
However this particular journey isn't a permitted route today because the Fareham-London route is via Eastleigh and not via Southampton Airport and so the easement above doesn't apply.
I think the whole point of the helpful post #2 is that the easement does apply

jfollows

Established Member
I think the whole point of the helpful post #2 is that the easement does apply
No, it applies from Bursledon because the permitted route is via St Denys and therefore Southampton Airport Parkway, but Fareham is in the Portsmouth group of stations and the only permitted route is direct to Eastleigh via Botley, so the easement is irrelevant to Fareham-London. However I was answering a question which was not asked after I had answered the one that was asked.
PS I realise that the text of the easement includes “Fareham” but it’s still not applicable to Fareham-Waterloo, it only applies to routes valid via Southampton Airport Parkway as well.

I recall many enjoyable trips from St Denys to Bursledon, several pints in the Jolly Sailor, and a rather more inebriated trip back, all on a 3H, which IIRC didn’t have toilets!
Similarly - in 1985 I lived close to Portchester and then moved to mid-way between Portchester and Fareham so usually walked to the latter.

Last edited: