• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The 126 stops are on the N7 and not serviced by the 69.

Rathcoole Village itself is served by the 69.

Ok, in reality, this was from boards.ie

According to the go ahead timetable, the rathcoole slip road is not pick up only. So if someone wants to get from Rathcoole to city centre on 126 rather than the 69 and pay much more, they can.

He/She meant Rathcoole in general.

Also, speaking of the 126 allocation, what's your opinion on the Volvo B8RLE Sunsundegui SB3 LE buses? Would you agree with me that because they are low floor, they are an improvement in accessibility?

berneyarms

Established Member
Well as I said, those stops are on the N7 and are beyond where the Dublin Bus 69 operates, and do leave you with a fair walk by comparison.

They’re not really the same.

I’ve yet to try the delights of the VB class (BÉ classification), but having low floor buses is of course an improvement on the commuter routes in terms of accessibility.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I've yet to try the delights of the VB class (BÉ classification), but having low floor buses is of course an improvement on the commuter routes in terms of accessibility.

Yeah indeed, never understood why many local rural bus services in Ireland used coaches rather than low floor buses which can have accessibility problems for routes where the elderly tend to travel a lot. So I definetly welcome the Sunsundegui SB3 LEs.

Coaches imo are more suited to Expressway type of routes.

Brooke

Yeah indeed, never understood why many local rural bus services in Ireland used coaches rather than low floor buses which can have accessibility problems for routes where the elderly tend to travel a lot. So I definetly welcome the Sunsundegui SB3 LEs.

I’ve often wondered on this as well. My folks’ local route is exclusively operated by Scania Irizars. In a rural town with an ageing population, it seems a barrier to the obvious customer group being able to access the services.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I don't know the specific details about rural services in Ireland, but in GB there have been rural services provided by coaches (or "dual-purpose" vehicles) for years. It's better now than it used to be because you can reasonably expect a vehicle to have a wheelchair lift these days, but you have to remember that many rural routes are quite lengthy in nature and need to be comfortable enough for those who are making whole-length journeys.

The Sunsundegui SB3 LE that you rave about isn't an entirely low-floor vehicle anyway.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I don't know the specific details about rural services in Ireland, but in GB there have been rural services provided by coaches (or "dual-purpose" vehicles) for years. It's better now than it used to be because you can reasonably expect a vehicle to have a wheelchair lift these days, but you have to remember that many rural routes are quite lengthy in nature and need to be comfortable enough for those who are making whole-length journeys.

The Sunsundegui SB3 LE that you rave about isn't an entirely low-floor vehicle anyway.

Doesn't have to be fully low floor - partial low floor is perfectly acceptable as long as the wheelchair section and half of the seats are step free.

Brooke

Some breaking news in Dublin: Bus Connects has been given government approval and so will now move forward to make a planning application:

The Government gave the green light to the multi-billion BusConnects programme for Dublin today, paving the way for the National Transport Authority (NTA) to submit planning applications for the Core Bus Corridors to An Bord Pleanála.

BusConnects will transform the city of Dublin, providing a faster and more efficient bus service for everyone in addition to delivering improved cycling and pedestrian facilities. The programme means that the city will see an increase of nearly 25% in bus services.

Minister Ryan said: ‘This is an exciting day for public transport in the city. Commuters will have access to a faster, and more flexible service, allowing them to more quickly move about the city for work, school and pleasure. We will have cleaner and quieter streets, and with the additional roll-out of zero emissions buses, to be incorporated into the BusConnects routes, we can look forward to a much better quality of life for Dubliners and visitors to the city. This is yet another example of how Government is delivering on our commitments to put major investment behind public transport projects that will meet our climate ambitions, and make our cities more sustainable and healthier for future generations’.

By 2030, BusConnects Dublin will deliver 230km of bus corridors and 200km of cycling lanes, providing safe, accessible, and efficient transport to a many more people, while reducing traffic congestion as well as noise and air pollution.

It will represent a step-change in the provision of cycling facilities, delivering safe, segregated cycling provision along some of the busiest cycling arteries across the city. Alongside this, a new network of bus services will be rolled out across the city, with high-frequency services running along nine new Spines, improved orbital services and increased local services. Cleaner and quieter streets will be another benefit.

The current fleet of buses in Dublin will be increased and converted to zero-emission fleet by 2035, meeting rising demand and saving the equivalent of circa 85,000 tonnes of CO2 a year in line with our Climate Action Plan targets. Buses and shelters will be modernised, increasing accessibility, ensuring safe and enjoyable trips for passengers.

Today’s decision by Government will also allow the NTA to start the tendering process for the procurement of Next Generation Ticketing technology, allowing simple payment of fares with credit and debit cards, which will allow a greater number of citizens to travel more easily and efficiently by public transport.

Last edited by a moderator:

berneyarms

Established Member
Just to be clear this is the infrastructure element of BusConnects, which is all about delivering significant priority for buses and cyclists.

The revised network element of BusConnects has had two phases already implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.