• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus 339 - Epping to Shenfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all,

I've got to be in Brentwood next weekend, so thought I'd make the journey a little more interesting and take a spin on the heritage 339 bus route from Epping.

Just a few questions about the route...

How would I go about buying tickets? Am I correct in assuming that it's just hop on and wait for a conductor to come around to you? Are single tickets also available?

And what kind of vehicles are used on the route? A brief Google search suggests a variety of Routemasters and RTs, but is there any sort of schedule as to what is used on each service, or is it just a case of whatever they decide to put out on the day?

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, is the service likely to be busy on a Sunday morning? Just trying to gauge my chance of getting a seat with a good view. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gaillark

The timetable for the bus can be found by following this link - https://www.eorailway.co.uk/visit/ select date and the bus timetable will come up.
You shouldn't have a problem with the bus as generally there are plenty of seats. Most passengers get off at North Weald from Epping.
You can buy a bus only ticket from the conductor. Its usually a Routemaster

Established Member
Used this last Friday for the Epping and Ongar Railway Beer Festival. All three bus circuits were Routemasters, but it is just pot luck on the day, RTs are also used.

We‘ve always bought rover tickets for the railway too, so just ask the conductor for a single to Brentwood and see what you get.

Last edited:

galwhv69

I've conducted the 339 before, so can answer a bit. Buses are what's available from the fleet (mostly RM's and RT's but other vehicles such as RF's & Nationals can appear (bearing in mind that each vehicle can only be used for 20 days each year) on the day. Fares are issued on the bus with Ticketer handheld machines, however when I last did it, we were unable to take card, so cash fares were required for local journeys. Sunday morning can depend on weather, often first few trips from Epping can get pretty busy, but shouldn't be too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.