• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

PG

Established Member
The UK market's new Yutong U11DD has "broke cover"…

Not sure if operators are going to be keen on all the black glassy bits. Trying maybe too hard to look like an E400 City?

I see the Head of Yutong UK claims that the bus
has a superb structure without noise and rattles
It'll be interesting to hear if that is indeed the case!

From the photos of the interior it appears that only 8 seats are accessible without a step and 4 of those are tip-ups.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
No downstairs rear window - not suitable for TfL?

Does it look a bit like Switch's new double decker at the front?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It did state in the article that the first two vehicles are to be delivered to "provincial" specification; they're only single door, too.
Does it look a bit like Switch's new double decker at the front?
My thoughts were that it's vaguely reminiscent of Eastern Coach Works bodies, if you can imagine a large, rectangular grille on the front!

Goldfish62

Established Member
None of the several hundred electric buses in service on TfL routes have lower deck rear windows. It's simply not possible given there's only so much space for the batteries.

PG

Established Member
My thoughts were that it's vaguely reminiscent of Eastern Coach Works bodies, if you can imagine a large, rectangular grille on the front!
Yes indeed it does with the vertical headlights. The rear third of the bus from the sides is similar too.
Based on the Yutongs I've been on I'd expect it will be the case.
Good to hear, pardon the pun! Time for Alexanders to sort out their rattle traps o_O

MotCO

Established Member
This is what me think of the new Switch double decker

The UK market's new Yutong U11DD has "broke cover"…

Not sure if operators are going to be keen on all the black glassy bits. Trying maybe too hard to look like an E400 City?
That is officially hideous!

Just stick with the 400EV or BZL-DD, they look much better..

CBlue

That is officially hideous!

Just stick with the 400EV or BZL-DD, they look much better..

You can't see it while on board so what's it matter? The BZL has some particularly awkward aesthetics too, not helped by the "white 'n vinyls" stagecoach livery, but they're smooth, quiet and nice to travel on.
I think most would rather that over something styled to be attractive with the build quality of a paper bag. Tempo SRs for example.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If another manufacturer can come up with something that similar in price but better in terms of build quality, creaks rattles and bangs than the glut of nasty plastic ADL stuff that has thus far dominated then I'm all for it and I should imagine operators would be as well,

Goldfish62

Established Member
If another manufacturer can come up with something that similar in price but better in terms of build quality, creaks rattles and bangs than the glut of nasty plastic ADL stuff that has thus far dominated then I'm all for it and I should imagine operators would be as well,
Don't assume that the BYD/ADL offering is cheaper than the competition...

Hullian111

To revive this thread a bit, last Friday, I had a ride on the Volvo BZL currently on loan with East Yorkshire in Hull at the minute, and I thought, if permissible, I'd quote here my thoughts about the bus that I posted on my Flickr page:
And what's the verdict? After a run in and out of Hessle this morning, I have to say that it holds up rather well. Okay, maybe the MCV bodywork/interior might rattle a bit more than I expected, but other than that, its quiet, delightfully laid out, and dare I say, quite stylish inside and out. Batteries are stored on the roof, meaning that navigation inside is not hampered, but seating capacity has noticeably been cut to fit in both a wheelchair and pram bay - an observation made by quite a few passengers. Seems the onus here is on European-style standee preference instead of seating.

In a few snippets of conversation I had with the driver, of which I wish I was a bit more prepared for, the driver, at least, is in favour of a few more BZLs being purchased by East Yorkshire... once the whole Anlaby Road situation is sorted out, of course. The age and size of the present Anlaby Road depot prevents the installation of electric charging infrastructure, and despite the fact that this demonstrator came with its own charger, purchases of these will necessitate the installation of permanent infrastructure to boot. Of course, plans for a new central depot for East Yorkshire appear to be on the drawing board, but unlike the new Scarborough depot [...] no news has dropped on redevelopment/site acquisition just yet.

Thus, we'll have to wait and see when the electric or even hydrogen bus will make a permanent presence on the Hull bus scene. Personally, given the Volvo/MCV relationship of the past few years, it would make sense to buy the Volvo BZL, and I think a shorter variant of the single-decker would work excellently on the 66 and other Hessle town services. Double-deckers? Maybe we can have the double-deck on loan on the 57 someday.

WCM now has Evoras. Two have gone to Glasgow while another has gone to Mull.
Yep, SJ23 HRL, HRN and HRR
HRL and HRN are in South Street and HRR is in Mull
I assume these have replaced or supplemented the B8 Evolutions? Strangely enough I was wondering recently whether or not WCM would actually buy any Evoras.
Is it possible to buy the B8RLE with a bus body (off the shelf) other than MCV?
To be honest I'm surprised Alexander Dennis haven't developed a body for that chassis; Lothian previously were in the market for 30 B8RLEs and even if ADL had developed the body and lost money on that particular order, in my opinion it would have been a good offering for the other operators in Scotland who have bought B8RLEs such as West Coast Motors, JMB Travel, Stuarts of Carluke, and Whitelaw Coaches.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Is it possible to buy the B8RLE with a bus body (off the shelf) other than MCV?
To be honest I'm surprised Alexander Dennis haven't developed a body for that chassis; Lothian previously were in the market for 30 B8RLEs and even if ADL had developed the body and lost money on that particular order, in my opinion it would have been a good offering for the other operators in Scotland who have bought B8RLEs such as West Coast Motors, JMB Travel, Stuarts of Carluke, and Whitelaw Coaches.
I assume other options are there, but MCV do seem to have become the go-to bodybuilder for Volvo's heavyweight diesel saloon chassis nowadays, much like Wright was in times past. The only ADL/Volvo single deckers I'm aware of off the top of my head are E300-bodied B7RLEs built for Ulsterbus/Translink in Northern Ireland in the late 2000s. Deckers were more common during that period, with both the E400 & E500 being body options for the B9TL; the latter combination was only bought by Dublin Bus and Hong Kong's Kowloon Motor Bus though.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Volvo don't seem to be very popular for buses on the UK.
They are all ADL or Scanias right

Volvo don't seem to be very popular for buses on the UK.
They are all ADL or Scanias right
Volvo no longer offer a Diesel double deck chassis so ADL have been mopping up orders for Diesel chassis. Volvo are doing well with lots of orders for the BZL in London, Stagecoach and also Warrington. Scania appear to be no longer available, the last double decker recently went on the road with Stephensons.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what operators like Lothian purchase next time they want full diesel double decks. I honestly can't see them buying a full integral e400 or e500, maybe they will take more hybrids or finaly by a significant number of full electric

Snow1964

Established Member
Volvo no longer offer a Diesel double deck chassis so ADL have been mopping up orders for Diesel chassis. Volvo are doing well with lots of orders for the BZL in London, Stagecoach and also Warrington. Scania appear to be no longer available, the last double decker recently went on the road with Stephensons.
Volvo still make a B8L low floor double deck chassis, but it is nowadays a tri-axle only, and not much call for 100+ seaters in UK, would rather sell you a BZL (Z is zero emission)

Scania bus has shut its last bus plant, which was in Poland. It is nowadays owned by Traton SE

Man which was at one time a competitor is also owned by Traton SE, which is now part of Volkswagen Group.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Volvo no longer offer a Diesel double deck chassis so ADL have been mopping up orders for Diesel chassis.
The B8L is still available, according to Volvo's own website.

Lothianbus703

Volvo still make a B8L low floor double deck chassis, but it is nowadays a tri-axle only, and not much call for 100+ seaters in UK, would rather sell you a BZL (Z is zero emission)

Scania bus has shut its last bus plant, which was in Poland. It is nowadays owned by Traton SE

Man which was at one time a competitor is also owned by Traton SE, which is now part of Volkswagen Group.
Where are scania buses produced now?