• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

Goldfish62

Established Member
Mellor's parent company has gone into administration:

Mellor and Treka Bus parent WN V-Tech Holdings has filed notice to appoint an administrator, private equity owner Rutland Partners has confirmed.
A sale process for the business is now underway by advisory firm Teneo. A spokesperson for Rutland says that Teneo is “actively engaged with a number of parties that have expressed interest in the whole and parts” of WN V-Tech Holdings, and that “all efforts are being put into bringing this process to a successful conclusion.”
It is understood that potential administrators arrived at Treka Bus’s plant in Brighouse on 16 November. Completed vehicles are on the locked-down site. The previous day, a number of employees with WN V-Tech in Scarborough are said to have approached another vehicle manufacturer in the town in search of work.
WN V-Tech Holdings CEO Frank Barrett remains with the group, Rutland has confirmed. The business’s most recent accounts, for the year to 31 December 2022, show a loss after tax of £2.6 million on a turnover of £78 million.
The year closed with a record order book in hand. £4.9 million was spent on product development during 2022, much of which is understood to have been absorbed by the Mellor Sigma range of battery-electric buses. No material uncertainties relating to the going concern consideration were identified by the independent auditor.
Mellor is a trading name of WN V-Tech Ltd, a subsidiary of WN V-Tech Holdings. WN V-Tech Ltd, including its car division, recorded a loss after tax of £3.6 million on a turnover of £45.5 million in 2022.
Treka Bus – ultimately a subsidiary of WN V-Tech Holdings Ltd – recorded a profit after tax of £609,000 on a turnover of £11.7 million, although the latter figure was less than half of the 2021 turnover. Difficulties in base vehicle supply has been cited as a contributor to that decline.
Rutland Partners took a controlling interest WN V-Tech Holdings in March 2020. It noted then that the step “an exciting opportunity for Rutland to invest in a scale UK business operating in sectors likely to be robust and the focus of long-term stability and interest.” Rutland invests in businesses requiring £10-50 million of equity, its website states.
At that time, Mr Barrett described Rutland as “the perfect partner on the next stage of our journey,” adding that sustained investment was expected under its ownership. Since then, major growth for the Mellor brand has been achieved, while Treka Bus has continued to build accessible minibuses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IPreferVeCarNw

Abellio London has ordered 80 further battery-electric buses from Wrightbus. The deal is made up of 24 GB Kite Electroliner single-deckers and 56 StreetDeck Electroliner double-deckers and they will enter service in 2024.
The GB Kite Electroliners, at least, will include a revised frontal aspect as part of what the manufacturer describes as “a number of safety features” to make them compliant with the Transport for London (TfL) Bus Safety Standard.
Other elements of the safety work are front and nearside blind spot warnings, tyre pressure monitoring, an automated emergency braking system, and what is termed a “dynamic safety test.”
When the latest tranche of StreetDeck Electroliners completes delivery, Abellio London will have over 100 of the type.
All of the 80 buses ordered will be equipped with high-backed Lazzerini seats that incorporate USB charging points and mobile phone holders. Priority positions are in a contrasting colour and Wrightbus says that the wheelchair user and buggy area has been enlarged. Wood effect flooring is also part of the interior fit-out.
Abellio led the way with enhanced interior specifications on TfL vehicles with its Future Bus work on route 63 in 2022. That was adopted for its first StreetDeck Electroliner deliveries, which entered service on route 111 in South West London during 2022.
Speaking about the latest order with Wrightbus, Abellio London Managing Director Jon Eardley says: “Abellio sits at the forefront of EV bus technology in London, leading the way with the introduction of zero-emission buses across our six depots.
“We are proud to support TfL and the Mayor of London’s goals to decarbonise London’s streets. Abellio’s investment in state-of-the-art EV fleet and comprehensive infrastructure has already provided millions of customers with comfortable, cleaner, and greener journeys.
“We are very excited about the future as we energise all six of our London depots and work in partnership with Wrightbus to serve our customers with innovative zero-emission journeys.”

PG

Established Member
Hard to see an Australian built bus being financially competitive in the UK market against locally made buses, or ones made in cheaper labour countries? The strength of the Aussie dollar helped kill their car industry for example.
Indeed. However in the article Scott Dunn mentioned that establishing UK manufacturing would be the aspiration:
He added: “We are going to export from Australia in the short term but my ideal situation is that we build it locally in the UK for the UK market.”

Volvo Press Release advertises the new MCV Evotor Exclusive to the UK market on the Volvo B8R Chassis.

Built on the proven and successful B8R eight-litre chassis for the first time, this entry-level addition to Volvo’s portfolio keeps costs down and uptime up to further extend the manufacturer’s reach within the UK and Irish coach markets. Built in collaboration with Volvo’s close partner MCV, the body benefits from a subtle facelift.

Josef Gisslow, Retail Sales Director at Volvo Bus UK & Ireland, says: “Our focus when developing the new B8R – MCV eVoTor was to provide a reliable and cost-efficient workhorse that is suitable for an array of different applications. We’ve listened to feedback from our coach customers and worked to bridge gaps in the wider domestic coach market, which is why we’ve already seen strong interest and orders for this model.”

The B8R features Volvo’s proven D8K engine for world-leading fuel-efficiency, producing up to 350 hp and a peak torque of 1,585 Nm. All vehicles are PSVAR-compliant and designed with 53 high quality seats and a toilet, which can be dismantled to allow for 55 seats, alongside generous on-board luggage racks. A Bosch audiovisual system also comes as standard with individual USB charging points to keep passengers connected on the go. The 12-speed I-Shift automated transmission combines smooth and precise gearshifts with high average speeds and outstanding driveability.

The other article from RouteOne tells that Volvo has ended the B11R coach chassis and will default to the New B13R for UK coach builds, this statement was made by UK Regional Director, Richard Mann.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Volvo Press Release advertises the new MCV Evotor Exclusive to the UK market on the Volvo B8R Chassis.

The other article from RouteOne tells that Volvo has ended the B11R coach chassis and will default to the New B13R for UK coach builds, this statement was made by UK Regional Director, Richard Mann.

The Evotor has been around for almost five years now albeit built on the B11R chassis, presumably the B8R variant will be it's direct replacement.

The news regarding the B11R being phased out has been known for quite some time now. The new Stagecoach order is for 9700DDs because of this as the Panorama and Interdeck are not currently avaliable due to Plaxton not updating their bodies for the new B13R chassis and therefore at present only offering B8R based products.

The Evotor has been around for almost five years now albeit built on the B11R chassis, presumably the B8R variant will be it's direct replacement.

The news regarding the B11R being phased out has been known for quite some time now. The new Stagecoach order is for 9700DDs because of this as the Panorama and Interdeck are not currently avaliable due to Plaxton not updating their bodies for the new B13R chassis and therefore at present only offering B8R based products.
So in other words only the Plaxton Leopard, Panther, 13.2m Elite and Tri-axle Panther LE are currently available..

So in other words only the Plaxton Leopard, Panther, 13.2m Elite and Tri-axle Panther LE are currently available..

The Elite is also not available as the Volvo B8R has had electrical changes since the last batch (cancelled Logan, which ended up with Parks & WCM) and also needs modifications which Plaxton are unwilling to do until a order big enough to justify the work is forthcoming.

ClydeCoaster

Plaxton could be digging their own grave. What is a big enough order? Stagecoach have switched to Carrus with the 9700DD body on the B13RT as the Panorama hasn't been adapted; they'll be the first of their kind in the UK. So that's a big enough order to convince Carrus to produce an RHD UK-spec vehicle, but not Plaxton to make alterations to the Panorama? I can't see Plaxton surviving as a brand if they're not willing to take small risks to keep their offerings on the table. It's frustrating, especially when you see the likes of Irizar who, in Spain at least, will modify their i6 to fit literally any chassis you want.

Swanny200

Plaxton could be digging their own grave. What is a big enough order? Stagecoach have switched to Carrus with the 9700DD body on the B13RT as the Panorama hasn't been adapted; they'll be the first of their kind in the UK. So that's a big enough order to convince Carrus to produce an RHD UK-spec vehicle, but not Plaxton to make alterations to the Panorama? I can't see Plaxton surviving as a brand if they're not willing to take small risks to keep their offerings on the table. It's frustrating, especially when you see the likes of Irizar who, in Spain at least, will modify their i6 to fit literally any chassis you want.

80 DD Panoramas have been built in 5 years, I know that COVID may have affected that, but lets be honest, if they can't seem to be bothered to adapt for a market then it's on them. That answers a new question though what double deck offerings are available apart from them for long distance stock apart from the 9700D?, I don't think VDL/Van Hool do anymore for the UK, the last non Plaxton one that I have seen was one that JH coaches up here in the North East had which I think was an Ayats and the Caetano ones for NX. Is there a need for high capacity double deck coaches in this country anymore for long distance?

johnw

Maybe Alexander Dennis do want to dig a grave for the Plaxton range and see Scarborough as more of a bus Building plant. The Panther was launched in 1999 and although has had a few facelifts, other bodybuilders have launched several new replacement models since - the Elite has started to look dated.
www.alexander-dennis.com/alexander-dennis-confirms-plaxton-coach-build-programme-for-2024/ sort of suggests that only the Leopard remains in production and some trade magazines hinted their surprise of coach building continuing.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I haven't got the answer to if double deck coaches are still needed for anything other than the likes of squeeze them in and sell them cheap Megabus operations or school transport either for home to school or excursions but certainly agree that ADL/plaxton could be slowly digging their own grave with this

There must be other operators who could well be wanting something a little more high-powered either for sustained motorway running or hill climbs with heavy loads but as the market does seem to have an amount of choice for this then maybe they don't see it as a priority.

ClydeCoaster

Bus Éireann was taking on VDL Futura DDs as late as March this year, so it may still be an offering. I think the Astromega is still notionally offered, it's still the TDX variant as it's not yet had a new 'T' range replacement but other than that, Beaulas? Ayats? Hardly big order stuff.

The Elite is also not available as the Volvo B8R has had electrical changes since the last batch (cancelled Logan, which ended up with Parks & WCM) and also needs modifications which Plaxton are unwilling to do until a order big enough to justify the work is forthcoming.
This seems a very strange position for Plaxton to take, no Panorama on B13R being accepted, Megabus have apparently ordered Volvo 9700-DD models and apparently these will be built in tandem with Sunsundegui starting in 2024.

The B8R having things changed about its chassis, does this mean they can’t or won’t build the Elite bodywork over it? this only makes me think that potential customers will go elsewhere and this stance by Plaxton may embolden other body builders to offer increasingly improved specification on their bodywork’s.

This seem to also mean that their isnt a coach model for the UK market right now which has a PLS lift built into the staircase, then again with the low floor 9700-DD now being available these types of built-in lifts are becoming redundancy, PLS lifts can off course be built into the nearside of coach vehicles anyways.

Considering that recently I was reading that the MCV EvoTor coach at 12.2m was being offered with the B8R chassis and the Sunsundegei SC7 is available with the B13R..Plaxton really aren’t opening themselves up to sales for new vehicles.

What I will say is that I am surprised Plaxton have not created an integral coach chassis with the likes of a Cummins L9 or X12 engine with ZF TraXon Gearbox, hypothetically this could work.

I haven't got the answer to if double deck coaches are still needed for anything other than the likes of squeeze them in and sell them cheap Megabus operations or school transport either for home to school or excursions but certainly agree that ADL/plaxton could be slowly digging their own grave with this

There must be other operators who could well be wanting something a little more high-powered either for sustained motorway running or hill climbs with heavy loads but as the market does seem to have an amount of choice for this then maybe they don't see it as a priority.
On the subject of higher powered coaches there are other options compared to the Volvo B11RLE chassis.

VanHool has continued to offer the UK with the Astromega TDX27 with its more powerful MX-13 engine.

80 DD Panoramas have been built in 5 years, I know that COVID may have affected that, but lets be honest, if they can't seem to be bothered to adapt for a market then it's on them. That answers a new question though what double deck offerings are available apart from them for long distance stock apart from the 9700D?, I don't think VDL/Van Hool do anymore for the UK, the last non Plaxton one that I have seen was one that JH coaches up here in the North East had which I think was an Ayats and the Caetano ones for NX. Is there a need for high capacity double deck coaches in this country anymore for long distance?
VanHool UK still exists in Wellingborough in England for customer support.

Given that the parts found within VanHools are DAF engines and ZF Gearboxes there wouldn't be much in the way of preventing operators from getting parts when needed, many other components can be found from third party sellers.

Last edited:

Maybe Alexander Dennis do want to dig a grave for the Plaxton range and see Scarborough as more of a bus Building plant. The Panther was launched in 1999 and although has had a few facelifts, other bodybuilders have launched several new replacement models since - the Elite has started to look dated.
www.alexander-dennis.com/alexander-dennis-confirms-plaxton-coach-build-programme-for-2024/ sort of suggests that only the Leopard remains in production and some trade magazines hinted their surprise of coach building continuing.
I don't know how big a slice of the UK coach market Plaxton has now but a lot of the newer coaches I see on the motorway are not Plaxton so presume their market share is small and declining. The ADL website shows 6 different models which no doubt have a myriad of specifications so unless the profit margins are huge, so it is not an unreasonable conclusion to draw that ADL are milking the last drops from the current model before pulling out of the market to focus on buses.

MotCO

Established Member

ADL has been successful in selling higher spec E400s as a pseudo-coach to operators such as Westbus.

Swanny200

This seems a very strange position for Plaxton to take, no Panorama on B13R being accepted, Megabus have apparently ordered Volvo 9700-DD models and apparently these will be built in tandem with Sunsundegui starting in 2024.

The B8R having things changed about its chassis, does this mean they can’t or won’t build the Elite bodywork over it? this only makes me think that potential customers will go elsewhere and this stance by Plaxton may embolden other body builders to offer increasingly improved specification on their bodywork’s.

This seem to also mean that their isnt a coach model for the UK market right now which has a PLS lift built into the staircase, then again with the low floor 9700-DD now being available these types of built-in lifts are becoming redundancy, PLS lifts can off course be built into the nearside of coach vehicles anyways.

Considering that recently I was reading that the MCV EvoTor coach at 12.2m was being offered with the B8R chassis and the Sunsundegei SC7 is available with the B13R..Plaxton really aren’t opening themselves up to sales for new vehicles.

What I will say is that I am surprised Plaxton have not created an integral coach chassis with the likes of a Cummins L9 or X12 engine with ZF TraXon Gearbox, hypothetically this could work.

On the subject of higher powered coaches there are other options compared to the Volvo B11RLE chassis.

VanHool has continued to offer the UK with the Astromega TDX27 with its more powerful MX-13 engine.

VanHool UK still exists in Wellingborough in England for customer support.

Given that the parts found within VanHools are DAF engines and ZF Gearboxes there wouldn't be much in the way of preventing operators from getting parts when needed, many other components can be found from third party sellers.
The last Astromega was to King Ferry 3 years ago according to Bus Lists on the Web (BLOTW), so it now does make me wonder if we are seeing the death knell for high capacity double deck coaches here. These companies may well make them, but if a UK company says "give us 2 of those coaches of yours", are they really easy to tool for right hand drive or does everything have to be changed on the production line? Look again at the Panoramas; out of the 80 built, only a handful went to private operators, which now makes me wonder if they are not going to carry on with a product that they know there will be no use for in the next couple of years. The Thames Transit ones are I'm assuming the ones now on the Oxford Tube and some went to Parks/Stagecoach, which I assume were for Megabus/Citylink.
How busy are the routes from Glasgow to Dundee and London via Manchester to Aberdeen to run something that takes 87 passengers nowadays?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
One can probably assume the Panther is out of production too then as the existing Panther 3 and Elite were essentially the same body but with a different front end. No Panthers have been built this year either.

They supposedly had also been trying to up the purchase price for their products, hence why Stagecoach Highland went for Mobi-People Explorers rather than Plaxton Leopards for their 70 seaters.
They somewhat tried that in the past with the Dennis Javelin and R-Series. The Javelin was woefully underpowered with later examples having the Cummins ISB while the R-Series was hardly a roaring success.

I think the issue Plaxton have had is that the coach market is more saturated now vs 15 years ago with the likes of Temsa, Yutong, Mobi-People and Sunsungedui just to name a few all now well established. Its pretty evident that ADL don't have much interest in investing in Plaxton and are more just (barely) keeping it afloat.
How busy are the routes from Glasgow to Dundee and London via Manchester to Aberdeen to run something that takes 87 passengers nowadays?
In the summer especially they're very busy, even more so now thanks to the U22 Free travel scheme. Citylink have significantly increased the level of service between Aberdeen and Glasgow/Edinburgh in the last year.

The last Astromega was to King Ferry 3 years ago according to Bus Lists on the Web (BLOTW), so it now does make me wonder if we are seeing the death knell for high capacity double deck coaches here. These companies may well make them, but if a UK company says "give us 2 of those coaches of yours", are they really easy to tool for right hand drive or does everything have to be changed on the production line? Look again at the Panoramas; out of the 80 built, only a handful went to private operators, which now makes me wonder if they are not going to carry on with a product that they know there will be no use for in the next couple of years. The Thames Transit ones are I'm assuming the ones now on the Oxford Tube and some went to Parks/Stagecoach, which I assume were for Megabus/Citylink.
I suppose it really depends on how modular the chassis is designed to be. Many car manufacturers can do so with their chassis. I presume this may well be the reason Van Hool still offer RHD forms.

I can only speak for Glasgow to Aberdeen via Broxden P&R and Glasgow to Edinburgh via M8; they're both routes that are kept going particularly during peak times of the year, such as the festive period and most weekends, to be fair.

I do think the extra capacity is warranted, not to mention if they do have excess capacity it alleviates any need to increase their frequencies.

scosutsut

Given the Zevolution, as they badge it, could they be working on an electric integral and that's taking the resource away from being able to repurpose the bodies for what is seen as a limited, and slowly disappearing market?

One can probably assume the Panther is out of production too then as the existing Panther 3 and Elite were essentially the same body but with a different front end. No Panthers have been built this year either.

Reading have just received four Panthers in "Londonline" livery so assume the Panther has received the electrical changes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Reading have just received four Panthers in "Londonline" livery so assume the Panther has received the electrical changes.
Fair point, i had forgotten about those, having looked on BLOTW there are a few others albeit its not clear if they're actually new builds or stock built from previous years as there's no body numbers listed yet while there's a significant number of stock built vehicles listed as not registered yet.

Edvid

Established Member
They were ordered for Heathrow services, so they're branded as Flightline (not my photo in the link).

Presumably this is pre-order vehicles on B11R chassis.
B8R, actually. The Reading Buses CEO posts monthly updates on the Bus Zone Forum Google Group (May 2023 quote below).

Newbury & District

Four new Volvo B8R / Plaxton Panther 3 53-seat coaches are on order for delivery in the summer and entry into service from 1 September for new services, and will be followed by two Irizar i6S Efficient 57-seat coaches to replace 1401/2 towards the end of the year.

<Shudders{>3 hours on a motorway with that 6l Cummins lump screaming away, no thanks
If they're fitted with the ZF Ecolife and a 5.12 Axle Ratio they should settle around 1500rpm on the motorway at 56mph.
They were ordered for Heathrow services, so they're branded as Flightline (not my photo in the link).

B8R, actually. The Reading Buses CEO posts monthly updates on the Bus Zone Forum Google Group (May 2023 quote below).
Presumably then Plaxton are still building on the B8R/LE chassis then with all their bodywork options, it may well just be the latest B13R chassis that’s yet to be homologated.

Last edited by a moderator:
<Shudders> 3 hours on a motorway with that 6l Cummins lump screaming away? No thanks!
If they're fitted with the ZF Ecolife and a 5.12 Axle Ratio they should settle around 1500rpm on the motorway at 56mph.
The Scania chassis is available with a 9-litre engine and a 12-speed gearbox (although I'm unsure if any have been built as this, or if all built so far have only had the 6-speed option). The chassis also appears to be available with a 13-litre engine but I'm wondering if this is only on the tri-axle version.
I've looked on the Scania and Alexander Dennis websites and neither indicate Air Conditioning as an option so I'm not sure if this could be specified?

Link to Scania chassis page: https://www.scania.com/uk/en/home/products/buses-and-coaches/scania-k-chassis-le.html

Presumably then Plaxton are still building on the B8R/LE chassis then with all their bodywork options, it may well just be the latest B13R chassis that’s yet to be homologated.
As previously stated above - Plaxton can currently unable to put an Elite on a B8R due to electrical changes.
Reducing their own sales options through failing to adapt.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As previously stated above - Plaxton can currently unable to put an Elite on a B8R due to electrical changes.
Reducing their own sales options through failing to adapt.
It's not a problem that's insurmountable, though. If there's enough demand for a given chassis and body combination, they'll make the adaptations and build it. We are talking about a combination of two long-standing coach builders which, in the past, have had to build buses and coaches on a far greater range of chassis than is currently available

Plaxton's current strategy is to build a number of coaches to a standard specification that they think will satisfy demand for the coming year. For this year it was to build a batch of 60 vehicles, split between the Leopard and Panther models.

Alexander Dennis, a subsidiary of NFI Group Inc., one of the world’s leading independent global bus manufacturers, today confirmed its first tranche of stock-built Plaxton coaches for the new year. 60 new Plaxton Panther and Plaxton Leopard coaches will be available for delivery from Q1 2023.

The move follows continued recovery in the market for new coaches, with particularly high levels of interest in versatile vehicles suited to a variety of operations. The initial build of 60 vehicles may be followed later in the year by additional coaches.

For next year the plan is to build only Leopards for stock.

Stock output will focus on Plaxton Leopard coaches with side-mounted wheelchair lifts and destination equipment to meet PSV Accessibility Regulations. Built on the fuel-efficient Volvo B8R chassis, a choice of I-Shift and automatic transmissions will be offered. All stock will have the upgraded interiors introduced this year with up to 72 next-generation Brusa seats.

This makes sense - build a batch of coaches in one go then turn the manufacturing facilities over to building buses for the rest of the year. If a customer wants something else in the product range, it'll be built to order - Plaxton says that its facilities are flexible enough to cope with this anyway. How big that order now needs to be, I don't know. I imagine that many coach operators doing run-of-the-mill stuff will be happy to take a product off the shelf. Companies that are looking for a more premium product are probably going to go for something like a Mercedes Tourismo or a Neoplan Tourliner anyway.