• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Map North Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Has anyone got any idea where I can download a bus map for North Wales? Arriva's website is pretty useless, as is Traveline and Transport for Wales.
It seems increasingly difficult as the years go on to get information about bus services

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
No, but it would be a useful thing to have. The only maps I've ever seen are the ones for TrawsCymru and Sherpa Yr Wyddfa.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You seem to need to know your bus route to obtain information, but you cannot find that out without a map

asb

Arriva's site does have some maps, but you have to be in their page for a particular town to find it. Try googling Arriva Holyhead to find their map of Anglesey, and Arriva Bangor for their Gwynedd one. Doesn't help much with the independents though.

DelW

Established Member
You seem to need to know your bus route to obtain information, but you cannot find that out without a map
Google Maps can be a starting point. Go to the start or end point of your intended journey, enlarge it until you can see bus stops, then click on one of them. That should bring up a list of routes (and their times) from that stop.
I wouldn't necessarily rely on it 100%, but it may tell you what routes to research.

Statto

Established Member
It's a shame their's nothing anymore other than that bus atlas map & a couple of Arriva maps, as a few years ago, the North Wales councils apart from Wrexham used to publish bus maps along with good timetable books, i still have timetable books for, Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, & Gwynedd.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Google Maps can be a starting point. Go to the start or end point of your intended journey, enlarge it until you can see bus stops, then click on one of them. That should bring up a list of routes (and their times) from that stop.
I wouldn't necessarily rely on it 100%, but it may tell you what routes to research.
Trouble with Google Maps is you have to be lucky and click on a bus stop that gives you a bus route to do some research with!

Brendan Fox's excellent busatlas.uk website covers North East Wales
That's pretty good! Covers the area I'm interested in too. Just a shame that we have to rely on an individual to provide information rather than the operators or councils

Llandudno

Established Member
It’s hard to believe that an area bursting with so many tourists in the summer that there are no network public transport maps either in leaflet form or online.

Is it any wonder that the A55 and all the car parks in the tourist hot spots are so busy?

markymark2000

On Moderation
It’s hard to believe that an area bursting with so many tourists in the summer that there are no network public transport maps either in leaflet form or online.

Is it any wonder that the A55 and all the car parks in the tourist hot spots are so busy?
Sadly all of the councils make a lot of money from car parking fees. Why make maps (which will cost them money) to help people travel by bus (which will lose them car parking revenue)?

It's been known for far too long that most Welsh councils have the wrong policies in place but no one will challenge it. Sadly Wales votes for a colour and doesnt vote based off performance. hence we keep ending up with the same performing monkeys.

Andyh82

Established Member
It's a shame their's nothing anymore other than that bus atlas map & a couple of Arriva maps, as a few years ago, the North Wales councils apart from Wrexham used to publish bus maps along with good timetable books, i still have timetable books for, Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, & Gwynedd.
Gwynedd stopped a few years before COVID which was controversial at the time, but now everyone else has joined in and stopped, as have Arriva

I’m guessing if you turn up at the tourist information centre in Rhyl or Llandudno or anywhere else, there will be absolutely no public transport information in printed form at all

markymark2000

On Moderation
Gwynedd stopped a few years before COVID which was controversial at the time, but now everyone else has joined in and stopped, as have Arriva
Arriva has some maps.

You have to go into the region, then use the drop down to select 'bus travel in [town]'. Scroll down and it's under zone maps.

Bangor/Holyhead map: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/wales/bus-travel-in-holyhead

Chester map:

Wrexham map:

I’m guessing if you turn up at the tourist information centre in Rhyl or Llandudno or anywhere else, there will be absolutely no public transport information in printed form at all
They will probably ask you what a bus is.

Krokodil

Established Member
Sadly all of the councils make a lot of money from car parking fees.
They also subsidise park and rides. The more they get used, the less subsidy required.

Gwalia Garage make a few bob towing away illegally (and dangerously) parked cars on the Ogwen Pass.

markymark2000

On Moderation
They also subsidise park and rides. The more they get used, the less subsidy required.

Gwalia Garage make a few bob towing away illegally (and dangerously) parked cars on the Ogwen Pass.
North Wales has only 1 park and ride scheme though and that is Pen-Y-Pass. Park and rides also require subsidy as you need to pay for the ride and often parking is cheaper. Instead, they can have a structure with limited costs, in the centre. Charge fair fees and it's mostly profit. Park and ride is quite far from profitable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.