• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus route suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
Is the use of bus route suffixes common in the UK? London no longer uses it, why did London get away with all suffixes? Doesn't London even have a route which share the majority of common sections with only minor deviations, and works on combined schedule?

In Hong Kong, the most extreme case was that a route grew to nearly a dozen variations, each with its own suffix, all serving the same district with most of them peak-hour variations of the base route. Eventually the variants continued to grow their own variants with different suffixes and got renumbered into two distinct groups of routes according to the places served.

In the UK outside of London, which route has the most variations with a suffix? For examples, letters A, B, C are common to be used for variations of a base route, and the letter X for express route, how about the others? Are there many uses of the letter H (hospital), M (metro), P (peak hour), R (recreational / racecourse), S (special / school) or U (university)? Are there any routes with variations sequentially lettered from A to G or beyond?

Also, the Keswick - Lancaster 555 has a variation which runs on the motorway and arrives Lancaster earlier than the normal departure afterwards. It can be confusing to people requiring intermediate stops skipped by the motorway. Why isn't it called 555X instead to help passengers picking the right bus?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LUYMun

Suffixes do tend to be used for variations of a route that differs from the main bus route, but this really varies from company to company - for some, there's no different route number. Likewise, express, university and hospital routes tend to be prefixed routes (i.e. U1, X1, H1).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
X is very rarely used as a suffix. More likely the route would be called X555, the reason it isn't probably dates back to the fact that in the days of manual destination blinds you only generally had three number fields so no room for the X. Plus it might cause confusion with the X5 in Keswick.

It's made fairly clear on the destination display, however.

miklcct

On Moderation
Suffixes do tend to be used for variations of a route that differs from the main bus route, but this really varies from company to company - for some, there's no different route number. Likewise, express, university and hospital routes tend to be prefixed routes (i.e. U1, X1, H1).
The use of a prefix, with the exception of N (which stands for night service), does not normally represent a relationship with the non-prefixed route. For example, a route X1 is seldom a branch of route 1, and is more likely "the first route in the long-distance express network". In contrast, a route called 3x is usually associated to be the express version of the route 3.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The use of a prefix, with the exception of N (which stands for night service), does not normally represent a relationship with the non-prefixed route. For example, a route X1 is seldom a branch of route 1, and is more likely "the first route in the long-distance express network". In contrast, a route called 3x is usually associated to be the express version of the route 3.
There are no hard and fast rules about this and it's entirely at the whim of the operator, or whichever body determines the routes.

A route local to me has 33A and 33C variants; there is no 33 or 33B. In this instance it merely determines the direction the bus goes around the town at the end of the route; Anticlockwise or Clockwise.

I would disagree about prefixes not having any relationship with the main route, though; X1 would logically imply a limited stop version of route 1 but, as I mentioned before, this is not set in stone.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Re @GusB ‘s 33A/33C - I quite like that approach to numbering circulars (or routes with a loop for part of the journey that’s served in both directions)

It’s a bit of a shame that the new St. Andrews “Town Services” (which are either entirely or significantly loops) will be the 90/90A, the 91/91A and the 93/ 93A Rather than having “C” variants (at least the “A” services are anti-clockwise, they got that bit right)

There’s no 92 as that’s a Moffat & Williamson one which runs as 92A/ 92C on most daytime journeys around a large loop on the south bank of the River Tay - yet the other M&W services along the Gauldry-Tayport corridor are the 69/70 despite themselves going different ways round the big loop (not the 69A/69C… no consistency!

Is the use of bus route suffixes common in the UK? London no longer uses it, why did London get away with all suffixes?

My understanding is that passengers tend to prefer individual numbers to suffixes/prefixes (hence the 77A becoming the 87 in 2006; in think that this was the last TfL suffix route in central London?)

I suppose London has the blessing/curse that it has:

Long established and well used bus routes that would be hard to change because they are much more ingrained in local culture than routes in other places (you’d never see something as radical as the Glasgow Overground/Simplicity changes in London, the core of certain routes is essentially set in stone - where as many provincial places have numbers/routes vastly different to at deregulation, even if it was just a case of removing the “three hundred” at the start of the route number - places in West Yorkshire like Bradford/Wakefield are about the only major ones where local routes are still three digit - in contrast the remaining Kirkcaldy Town services become the “thirty something” next week, after originally being the eighty something then becoming generally single digit numbers with a “K” prefix then being renumbered from eleven upwards… now the ones that remain will be in the thirties - no such constant tinkering in London

Hundreds of different services all in a common numbering system, so it might not be easy to find a nearby number to use for “similar” journeys

No real need for the kind of “twice a day” diversions that some towns/cities allocate a suffix for - in London the late evening/night buses run at frequencies that make people in other parts of the UK Envious, so there’s no need to fiddle about with a few infrequent extensions a day

Such high frequency routes in the central area (at least before Johnson became Mayor/ the funding and building of Crossrail saw a lot of cuts) that coordination didn’t really matter - routes may go the same way from e.g. Kings Cross to Oxford Circus but if one is every eight minutes and the other is every ten minutes then coordination matters a lot less than a place where there are two half hourly routes which share common roads

A TfL focus on keeping things simple - around twenty years ago they were changing many “night” services to being them in line with daytime routes, rather than bearing no relation to any daytime service - Edinburgh seemed to do a lot better when their Night services similarly followed daytime routes with the same number rather than your post-clubbing bus being the “103” or “204” or whatever

Certainly in the Livingston days there was more focus on “bigger picture” stuff than hard cash - so it was better for London to have Routemasters replaced by three-doored bendy buses that soaked up passengers and kept traffic moving faster even if ticket revenue plummeted due to evasion becoming much easier, they were more more focused on keeping London moving than the kind of pressures that commercial operators have to follow elsewhere in the UK - feels like a luxury now when every penny counts but adding additional parallel services/ increasing the PVR every time a route was retendered etc seemed to become the norm for a while

Doesn't London even have a route which share the majority of common sections with only minor deviations, and works on combined schedule?

There was a trend - mainly in the Ken Livingston days (when bus funding went up BIG time, and TfL were very focused on removing “part journeys” - so would rather have two shorter routes where everything ran to the truncated terminus than one long route but nothing actually made the full journey from west to east or at least maybe only a handful of evening/Sunday trips) - to cut routes up and run overlapping services, but these new routes had unrelated numbers, e.g. the far end of the 73 (Seven Sisters) was served/replaced by a new route but I think that this was something like the 390 (not 73A or 74 or anything that would help you guess it was related to the 73) - just like the western side of the 73 became the 10 instead many years earlier

both the Seven Sisters route and Hammersmith one overlapped with the traditional 73 route quite a bit (e.g. the 10 running from Kings Cross to somewhere in the West End on the same route as the 73)

With so many route numbers taken it must be hard to find similar ones for setting up new routes like these, presumably it was quite a while ago that the “68” corridor became something like the 68/ 168/ 268/ 368/ 468/ X68 - which provided different overlapping sections of a general north-south route

In the UK outside of London, which route has the most variations with a suffix? For examples, letters A, B, C are common to be used for variations of a base route, and the letter X for express route, how about the others? Are there many uses of the letter H (hospital), M (metro), P (peak hour), R (recreational / racecourse), S (special / school) or U (university)? Are there any routes with variations sequentially lettered from A to G or beyond?

From memory, Birmingham and Dundee both used to use a few letters to denote things like “terminate at the bus depot” or “terminates short in city centre”, that kind of thing

First’s “one” corridor in Glasgow sounds like something you’d be interested in (there’s also the X4 which could probably be renumbered something like “1F” but it became the X4 as it essentially replaces services on the far north/west end of the old 44 corridor but via a faster route into the city centre)

Similarly, look at the 38 corridor in Glasgow

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
I would disagree about prefixes not having any relationship with the main route, though; X1 would logically imply a limited stop version of route 1 but, as I mentioned before, this is not set in stone.
I would describe a limited stop version of route 1 as 1X instead.

In a bus route atlas, the route list normally appears as 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, ..., 1X, ..., 999, A1, A2, A3, ..., X1, X2, ..., X999. X1 will not appear anywhere close to 1.

For example, in the morebus network, 3x is a limited stop version of 3, while X3 has completely no relationship to 3 at all (while X1, X2, X3 and X6 forms a coherent network of express services).

geoffk

Established Member
A problem I found with suffix letters is that, when put on to a database, everything with a letter is sorted to the end of the list and this is how it appears on the bus stop - a possible example in Manchester would have been 41, 42, 42A, 42B, 43, 142, 143, 147 which would appear on stops as "41, 42, 43, 142, 143, 147, 42A, 42B". Putting these into the correct order would require manual intervention.

A particular bugbear of mine is routes with an X prefix which are not limited stop - there are several in the south Bristol/North Somerset area. When I asked, I was told it stood for Excel or something equally meaningless. There are no conventions laid down by (perhaps) the Traffic Commissioner so operators just do what they want. Manchester used to use an X suffix which meant "Xtra", usually a peak-hour short working. On the other hnd, during the time I was in Sheffield the Corporation/JOC never used letters and didn't have them on the blind, despite the existence of a wide range of short workings and factory extensions.

In answer to the question posed by the OP, years ago Southern National had a huge number of variations of route 22 Upwey - Weymouth - Portland, down to around 22P I think!

miklcct

On Moderation
A problem I found with suffix letters is that, when put on to a database, everything with a letter is sorted to the end of the list and this is how it appears on the bus stop - a possible example in Manchester would have been 41, 42, 42A, 42B, 43, 142, 143, 147 which would appear on stops as "41, 42, 43, 142, 143, 147, 42A, 42B". Putting these into the correct order would require manual intervention.
What database is it?

It is easy to write a comparator such that they appear in the correct order.

paulmch

It's been a number of years since I lived there now so I'm not sure if it's still the case, but National Express West Mids/Coventry use the E suffix for journeys that are terminating early.

geoffk

Established Member
What database is it?

It is easy to write a comparator such that they appear in the correct order.
I don't know as I didn't have any direct involvement with TfGM publicity (and retired 15 years ago!) so they might have fixed it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
X is very rarely used as a suffix. More likely the route would be called X555, the reason it isn't probably dates back to the fact that in the days of manual destination blinds you only generally had three number fields so no room for the X. Plus it might cause confusion with the X5 in Keswick.
Untrue. I can think of at least a dozen offhand by four or five different operators! The last bus I saw an hour ago was a U4X operated by First Kernow, an express variation of their U4 route. Where a route already has a prefix, the use of X as a suffix to denote Express is quite common.

RELL6L

If you want to see suffixes in high quantity I suggest you look at Translink Metro in Belfast. 12 suffixes for the 2 (but no 2 without a suffix!), lots for other routes as well.

duncombec

The OP might like to read up on the Bassom system (I think that's the right era) in London for suffixes, and the same system is also used on (Belfast) Metro.

As others have said, there really is no nationwide system for deciding what gets prefixed or suffixed and his numbering works, and not does there really need to be. In my area, semi-express services are numbered in the 700s, and have been since NBC days - so whilst the 766 was a historic variation of the 166, the 701 had no connection whatsoever with the 101, but was numbered in conjunction with the 700 as a service to Bluewater. Similarly, school services with my local company are numbered in the 600s, at the neighbouring company in the 900s. Some areas label their closed door school contracts with 4-digit numbers but they are almost never displayed.

Numbering order is also a local choice - for every 1, 2, X1, there is a 1, X1, 2.

Whilst we like to think of the UK as having a bus network like it does a rail network, it really has a large number of local networks, each of which does their own thing to serve their local population, and don't care that their town bus doesn't have a letter prefix because somewhere in Yorkshire does it that way, or an H suffix because it goes via a hospital.

As it's clearly an area of interest to the OP, I suggest finding some good book recommendations to read up on some history.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If you want to see suffixes in high quantity I suggest you look at Translink Metro in Belfast. 12 suffixes for the 2 (but no 2 without a suffix!), lots for other routes as well.
They do like a suffix in Northern Ireland - the 194 has a different one for almost every journey.

1667413148490.png
Mind you, I remember this one from my youth from West Yorkshire (courtesy of Timetable World) where the Harrogate to Boroughbridge service had 8 different numbers

1667413620617.png

The demand from some enthusiasts that an X suffix or prefix absolutely must refer to Express is something a bit particular to enthusiasts. So whether it means Excel or X Country, not certain most average folk really care.

Tayway

It’s a bit of a shame that the new St. Andrews “Town Services” (which are either entirely or significantly loops) will be the 90/90A, the 91/91A and the 93/ 93A Rather than having “C” variants (at least the “A” services are anti-clockwise, they got that bit right)

There’s no 92 as that’s a Moffat & Williamson one which runs as 92A/ 92C on most daytime journeys around a large loop on the south bank of the River Tay - yet the other M&W services along the Gauldry-Tayport corridor are the 69/70 despite themselves going different ways round the big loop (not the 69A/69C… no consistency!
I'm amazed Stagecoach managed to make the St Andrews situation even more complicated than at present with the 5 different versions of the 99 replaced by 6 new circulars!
From memory, Birmingham and Dundee both used to use a few letters to denote things like “terminate at the bus depot” or “terminates short in city centre”, that kind of thing

First’s “one” corridor in Glasgow sounds like something you’d be interested in (there’s also the X4 which could probably be renumbered something like “1F” but it became the X4 as it essentially replaces services on the far north/west end of the old 44 corridor but via a faster route into the city centre)

Similarly, look at the 38 corridor in Glasgow
Xplore Dundee tried to prefix evening part-route journeys with a 9, so that the 22 (for example) became the 922 if it terminated in the City Centre. This recently got canned, I assume because they realised it was a confusing mess.

Going further back, I think there was a phase of some of the cross-city routes having an "A" and "B" variation for short versions on each end of the route. So to use the 22 as an example again, Craigowl to the City Centre journeys were 22A, and Ninewells to City Centre journeys were 22B.

820KDV

Sometimes the logic doesn't seem very logical, but will usually have had a good reason. We used to have a 13 in Bath which served both Elmhurst and Bathford. When minibuses were introduced at a higher frequency the route was split at its outer ends to serve either Elmhurst or Bathford. The original plan was 13E for Elmhurst 13B for Bathford. But it was immediately recognised that E and B look very similar on an approaching bus, so 13A and 13B was the next suggestion. Then someone suggested that at a distance anything with a character in each of the 3 positions would look similar, so it was launched as 13 and 13B with the blank or not being the quick and easy identifier, with Elmhurst people using the same number that they were used to and Bathford people having the B varient. But 13/13B might not look very logical from the outside.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Possibly the strangest use of suffixes is in Chippenham in Wiltshire. There are six different routes which each have hourly town services - all numbered 44 (and suffixed either 44A, 44B, 44D, 44K, 44M, or 44P). The suffixes aren't quite as ridiculous as they appear because, similar to the Bath example just described, the K runs to Kington St Michael, the M to Monkton, and the P to Pewsham. But it's still quite a confusing system.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure if this counts as a suffix or not, but Ashford in Kent has numbered routes for the out of town services but lettered routes (A, B, C, D and E) for the town services. Of an evening the part of route A takes on part of route D and runs in a single-direction loop displaying the route number "AD."

WibbleWobble

For example, in the morebus network, 3x is a limited stop version of 3, while X3 has completely no relationship to 3 at all (while X1, X2, X3 and X6 forms a coherent network of express services).
The X prefix in this case denotes cross-county or cross-regional, rather than express. All four routes are all-stops, as is the X8 (although they do have fast sections). It is carried over to Salisbury Reds with the X4/X5 and X7/X7R.

Other operators in the south using this approach are Faresaver and South West Coaches (although the latter is because GSC applied the cross-county ethos to some Damory routes).

It can also be seen on Wiltshire tendered routes X20 and X76. On the other hand they have an X22 and X67, which are just faster versions (still all stops though) of routes 22 and 67, rather than using a suffix "x" or "a" - the X22 running direct via the A4, and the X67 running via Portway instead of Gomeldon and Ford.

JD2168

Most used in South Yorkshire are the A version. The routes with most at the moment is I believe the 84 with 84A & 84B versions in Doncaster. In Barnsley you have 27/27A/27B & 28 & 28C from Stagecoach & 94/94A/94B & 96/96B/96C from Globe Holidays.

Until the service changes at the beginning of October in Doncaster you had 57/57A/57C/57F & 58/58A/58C & 58F, now replaced with 57/57A/58/59.

miklcct

On Moderation
The X prefix in this case denotes cross-county or cross-regional, rather than express. All four routes are all-stops, as is the X8 (although they do have fast sections). It is carried over to Salisbury Reds with the X4/X5 and X7/X7R.
I don't know about the other X-routes, but it's the fact that X1/X2/X3/X6 are express routes when the section between Bournemouth town centre and Royal Bournemouth Hospital is taken into consideration. They are much faster than taking the Yellow Buses 2 and 3 which stop everywhere between the town centre and the hospital!

30 (Swanage - Dorchester) is a cross-country or cross-regional route but it doesn't have an X-prefix. It is just a normal route.

Mal

A particular bugbear of mine is routes with an X prefix which are not limited stop - there are several in the south Bristol/North Somerset area. When I asked, I was told it stood for Excel or something equally meaningless.

In answer to the question posed by the OP, years ago Southern National had a huge number of variations of route 22 Upwey - Weymouth - Portland, down to around 22P I think!
Most of Xelabus of Eastleigh routes are X1, X2, etc The X standing for Xelabus.

Before Dereg, Western SMT used suffix letters for part-route journeys. As an example, table 60 shows 40 between Kilmarnock, Troon and Ayr. 40 was used for the full route, but also 40B, 40C, 40E, 40F and 40K for part routes within the whole 1968 timetable! Route 20 Glasgow - Johnstone or Kilbarchan also used 20A, 20B, 20C, 20D 20J and 20R!
There are plenty more examples - just see Timetable World site.

BJames

Established Member
NCT (Nottingham City Transport) has a lot. Just as an example as the ones I'm most familiar with, on the Orange line, route 34 has just got a new 34C (late evenings and weekends, goes around the campus before returning on the city loop), but 35 has long had the 35B (and I think one instance of 35A a day? Although happy to be corrected on that). The 36 has 36U (i.e. University) to denote the fact that a couple of morning journeys are sent through the campus rather than around the outside.

https://www.nctx.co.uk/services shows the full list though and scrolling down most lines have some variations there.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Untrue. I can think of at least a dozen offhand by four or five different operators! The last bus I saw an hour ago was a U4X operated by First Kernow, an express variation of their U4 route. Where a route already has a prefix, the use of X as a suffix to denote Express is quite common.
Another example other than express - and possibly one of the X suffix operators you mention - is Stagecoach South. An ‘X’ suffix has been added to some main route numbers to denote certain school/college variations, with examples including 23X, 37X, 38X, 64X and 65X. Their 13X and 63X are faster journeys on those routes though.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
NCT (Nottingham City Transport) has a lot. Just as an example as the ones I'm most familiar with, on the Orange line, route 34 has just got a new 34C (late evenings and weekends, goes around the campus before returning on the city loop), but 35 has long had the 35B (and I think one instance of 35A a day? Although happy to be corrected on that). The 36 has 36U (i.e. University) to denote the fact that a couple of morning journeys are sent through the campus rather than around the outside.

https://www.nctx.co.uk/services shows the full list though and scrolling down most lines have some variations there.
At one time they used to say on their site something like the following: A "B" suffix meant the journey would finish Before the normal destination (eg 9B finishing at Rushcliffe school and returning as an 8). "C" was for Continuing after (eg 10A extending to Rushcliffe country park), and "X" was some deviation on route (the return journey of the 10C is a 10X because it misses some of the usual stops in Ruddington). But A also seems to be used for deviations on route.

Ridercross

It's been a number of years since I lived there now so I'm not sure if it's still the case, but National Express West Mids/Coventry use the E suffix for journeys that are terminating early.
Certainly National Express West Mids still use the E suffix.

Diamond Bus also use them too across the wider area, such as 125E on journeys only operating between Stourbridge and Kidderminster on the 125 and 52E on journeys between Kidderminster and Bromsgrove on the 52.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotCO

Established Member
When registering a bus route, I understand that the operator is asked how the route would be identified, thus giving the operator a free hand to call it by any number, letter or combination, or indeed by a name such as 'Mango' or 'The Loop'

RJ

Established Member
Is the use of bus route suffixes common in the UK? London no longer uses it, why did London get away with all suffixes? Doesn't London even have a route which share the majority of common sections with only minor deviations, and works on combined schedule?
I’m not certain London has completely lost all suffixes. Let’s see what routes appear for the Notting Hill Carnival next year…

STINT47

Trentbarton are a real mix of different types of suffixes or none at all.

The threes have the 3A, 3B and 3C and they correspond to each services taking a variation in route on their way to and from Mansfield.

On the other hand you have services like the nines and the sixes that use decimal points. There is a 9.1 and 9.3 but no 9.2, whilst the sixes you have 6.0 to 6.4 but also the 6X and 6E just to confuse matters.

They also operate the Rainbow 1 which could use some suffixes. Two buses an hour go to Henor, two to Ripley and two to Alfreton but all are simply labelled and displayed as Rainbow 1. Surley the 1A, 1B etc would help here?

Overall it's a bit if a mess and probably links into Trentbarton having brands doing their own thing rather than routes. I feel that when the post covid government money ends and a pernamemt network emerges they could do with going through all their routes and making it a bit more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.