• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

bus sim

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry42

Is there any simulator where you can design your own bus route then drive it. Simular to train sim surveyor? I purchased a copy of bus simulator but you cant sdesign your own routes and its foeign!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
OMSI is by far and away the best bus simulator on the market, but without knowing all the tricks of working the editor, it is difficult to set up your own routes.
I did find this in steam, and I believe there is a 2013 version too.
I haven't played it but the blurb claims that it has freely customisable routes.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you're thinking about getting OMSI, I'd hold off for a couple of weeks until OMSI 2 is out.

Unlike its predecessor it is available on Steam.

I'd also thoroughly recommend it, but make sure your PC exceeds the minimum specifications as the ones for the original game were wildly optimistic. My PC is fairly high end and still can't run the game on full settings or it drops to about 2fps.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Given that it's a German sim, it was designed for right hand drive.

I believe certain routes have been built for left-hand drive, but they're few and far between.

deltic1989

Established Member
There are one or two routes designed for driving on the left. The problem really isnt the lack of maps its the lack of suitable buses but Winsome is making moves on changing this with his hong kong based buses.
There are a lot of really good British themed maps available the only drawback being you drive on the wrong side of the road. Bowdenham is a favourite of mine with Scunthorpe and Canterbury weighing in a close joint second.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Picked up my copy of OMSI 2 today, not a huge download by any means.

As things stand - there are quite a few bugs, and the promised backwards compatibility doesn't seem to be working at present. MR Software are promising to rectify this and some other issues as soon as possible. I've suffered a couple of freezes and crashes, and there are still issues with optimisation (if anything, the performance is on a par with OMSI 1) - but overall, things are heading in the right direction.

The new interface is great, and the expanded Spandau map has a lot of interest to keep you busy. The run out to Bahnhof Falkensee is quite lengthy, especially as I chose to do it in rush hour traffic using the MAN NG272 bendy-bus (a challenging vehicle to drive!). The new editor interface also looks quite promising, and I'm hoping to restart an aborted project of mine once the backwards compatibility issues are sorted out.

causton

Established Member
Apart from the feeling that I don't know what I'm doing in OMSI 2 (where are the timetables like the PDF in the first edition, full IBIS support for the new routes etc?) - the new Alt-menu is a good idea, the new bus is amazing, the launch menu is a lot better and for me the game runs slightly smoother, on OMSI 1 cars in wing mirrors jerked a lot despite having 2 graphics cards!

Overall I love it, and I'm sure it'll give me more enjoyment. Just have to work out how to find/generate those PDF timetables so I can work out what journeys to actually choose!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The IBIS codes are hidden away at the back of the game manual, found in the Steam Apps folder. As for the timetable, it's anybody's guess - I haven't found it, so I've just been hopping on to random buses, which is far from ideal to be honest.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I don't think there is any timetables from what I've read, probably because the routes set between 1986 and 1994, so there might have been a fair lot of timetable changes in that time

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think there is any timetables from what I've read, probably because the routes set between 1986 and 1994, so there might have been a fair lot of timetable changes in that time

Very true - that would be an awful lot of timetables to produce. Especially given the various changes and extensions that take place during those times (not to mention re-numberings). I do like that the routes now change depending on the date you pick, and that other things such as roadworks appear.

Alistair G.

Anybody ever thought of doing a uk one??. U could sell many different add ons, make/model, liveries, routes, timetables. Could unlock classic vehicles, or even depots and bus stations!?. Sell the game cheap....ish and sell the bolt-ons!!... Somebody must be able to program software here?.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I'm hoping Aerosoft venture some more payware add-on's to UK ones, they'd make a mint!

Someone on another forum has the Scunthorpe Modern map working on OMSI2, good to hear it works as it's one of my favorites!

Zulnex

I agree as well - OMSI is a wonderful bus simulator. I do find the editor confusing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.