• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses Doncaster to Scunthorpe

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I am going on Holiday to Scunthorpe soon and just found out I am travelling on a day when Northern Trains are on strike. Does any one know if there are any buses from Doncaster Railway Station to Scunthorpe station or town centre. I just googled it and not much appeared.

Thank You.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Can't find any specific info on the Northern Rail website about alterations due to industrial action.

Don't forget there is an hourly TPE service that is unaffected by the Northern dispute, but their services may be busier. As for public bus services, well there are hardly any.

Isle Coaches 399 leaves Doncaster Interchange, adjacent to the Rail Station at 1225pm arriving Scunthorpe 1400. Nothing else as a through bus exists. Otherwise take Stagecoach route 98 to Gainsborough and change to Stagecoach route 100 for Scunthorpe their. No Sunday buses.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/doncaster/602.htm

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...insborough/EMID-TT-Gainsborough-098-Sep16.pdf

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...terConnect/EMID-TT-InterConnect-100-Apr17.pdf

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Isle Coaches also run the 291 but that doesn't go to Scunny. There use to be a 909 but that was withdrawn a few years ago.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have never heard of anyone going on holiday in Scunthorpe before. I, er, hope you enjoy it.

Mugby

Established Member
What happened to the old Lincolnshire Road Car service from Doncaster to Scunthorpe?

Was it a victim of de-regulation? Does anyone know when it ceased?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have never heard of anyone going on holiday in Scunthorpe before. I, er, hope you enjoy it.

I knew I would get comments like this :D I am going with a rail group who like unusual destinations. Infact I did it last year and it was very good indeed. I had wondered what Scunthorpe would be like, it was better than I was expecting. The town is very based for getting out and about in Lincolnshire, handy for the Lincs Wold Railway, the steam train trip around the steel works which was facinating, also good for Cleethorpes light Railway and Grimbsy. Out and about, the countryside in that area is really pretty.

Thanks for all the replies about buses from Donacaster to Scunthorpe, or the lack of them. I guess I will have to go on the TPE service, hope it's longer than two coaches, what do they use on that route, 158s/159s?

gazthomas

Established Member
I knew I would get comments like this :D I am going with a rail group who like unusual destinations. Infact I did it last year and it was very good indeed. I had wondered what Scunthorpe would be like, it was better than I was expecting. The town is very based for getting out and about in Lincolnshire, handy for the Lincs Wold Railway, the steam train trip around the steel works which was facinating, also good for Cleethorpes light Railway and Grimbsy. Out and about, the countryside in that area is really pretty.

Thanks for all the replies about buses from Donacaster to Scunthorpe, or the lack of them. I guess I will have to go on the TPE service, hope it's longer than two coaches, what do they use on that route, 158s/159s?

3 car 185s

What happened to the old Lincolnshire Road Car service from Doncaster to Scunthorpe?

Was it a victim of de-regulation? Does anyone know when it ceased?

It's Isle Coaches & still the 399 but most run Scunthorpe to Westwoodside only. Stagecoach run the last journey of the day on tender.
Presumably Isle inherited it when Lincolnshire axed it - both the 399 & the more direct 359 are shown as running prior to deregulation in the Atlas of the NBC pre deregulation.

175mph

On Moderation
Isle Coaches 399 leaves Doncaster Interchange, adjacent to the Rail Station at 1225pm arriving Scunthorpe 1400. Nothing else as a through bus exists. Otherwise take Stagecoach route 98 to Gainsborough and change to Stagecoach route 100 for Scunthorpe their. No Sunday buses.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/doncaster/602.htm

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...insborough/EMID-TT-Gainsborough-098-Sep16.pdf

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...terConnect/EMID-TT-InterConnect-100-Apr17.pdf

If they get the 98 and then the 100, they'd be best to get a Day Out ticket for £9 so that they won't have to get separate tickets and use that same ticket on Stagecoach's Scunthorpe buses on their return into Scunthorpe.

ian1944

Akin to Scunthorpe sounding an unlikely holiday destination, my honeymoon many years ago consisted of a brief (due to job requirements) circuit from Harrogate, staying on the second, third and fourth nights at Lowestoft, Folkestone and Winchester. The first was meant to be at Skeggy but it was full due to some big event of which I've forgotten the details, so was amended to Cleethorpes. In the family mythology, I spent my honeymoon in Grimsby.

rmt4ever

Think I’ll stick to sunny Spain or Cyprus

woodhouse122

Although i would'nt want a holiday in scunny there is some great countryside round the area and some good areas for fishing (i need to clear a few bus routes in scunthorpe-perhaps i should consider a few days there myself ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.