• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BusTimes.Org

Established Member
Not sure if this is on every operator but I have noticed that for trentbarton at least when viewing the vehicles it will now predict the rest of the days diagram for example on E200 MMC 102 below.
1692288356680.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

riceuten

Not being used on Non-Arriva in Stevenage, that's for sure. Some of the journeys seem to be shown to the second, and some of the diagrams from bottom to top (i.e. latest journey first - the latter seems sporadic)

1692291456466.png

nesw

Vehicle block numbers are part of the requirement for bus open data and more operators are including them with their data as technology improves. All First Bus areas include blocks , some Go Ahead and most recently Stagecoach.

The block numbers for timetables and location data need to be the same, something that isn't universal. There was also an issue with Ticketer data including the block detail, though I'm guessing this is being worked on.

M60lad

Not to sure why but Merseyside operator HTL has disappeared from BusTimes this week despite them still operating services

Class 466

Established Member
Not sure if this is on every operator but I have noticed that for trentbarton at least when viewing the vehicles it will now predict the rest of the days diagram for example on E200 MMC 102 below.
View attachment 141092
there would be no point doing this on Go North West given how much they swap vehicles around atm with the driver shortages :D

Established Member
there would be no point doing this on Go North West given how much they swap vehicles around atm with the driver shortages :D
Even trentbarton's spare buses can end up on a number of services each day.

Simon75

On Moderation
Traveled yesterday on the Stagecoach 2 from Chester to Ellesmere Port/Runcorn does not appear on bus times. Not sure why

Vexed

Not sure if this is an issue with bustimes.org or Uno not uploading data to BODS correctly, but the timetable changes at the start of September for Uno still haven't been reflected. For example the new X10 service just doesn't exist such as this vehicle's services today or quite a few 610 services being retimed and not clickable like yesterday.

Considering for a few days the only way to view the new timetable was to ask for a booklet to be posted I suspect it was originally on Uno's side but Google Maps and the Intalink website now seem to be updated but that might not be sourced from BODS.

I'm not sure how bustimes.org decides to update its data from BODS so I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to force it to update? But not if the data on BODS itself is wrong.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Not sure if this is an issue with bustimes.org or Uno not uploading data to BODS correctly, but the timetable changes at the start of September for Uno still haven't been reflected. For example the new X10 service just doesn't exist such as this vehicle's services today or quite a few 610 services being retimed and not clickable like yesterday.

Considering for a few days the only way to view the new timetable was to ask for a booklet to be posted I suspect it was originally on Uno's side but Google Maps and the Intalink website now seem to be updated but that might not be sourced from BODS.
It's an Uno issue because they haven't updated their bus open data. They haven't even bothered to update the timetables on their website with half of the September changes and appropriate notes, UNOs quality has dropped significantly.

I'm not sure how bustimes.org decides to update its data from BODS so I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to force it to update? But not if the data on BODS itself is wrong.
The issue is the dataset hasn't been updated. No matter how many refreshes Bustimes does, it won't make a difference until UNO sort themselves out.

At the bottom of every service page, it says where the data comes from (screenshot one). If it says bus open data, click through that link and it takes you to the Gov page and you can see when the data there was last updated (screenshot 2). You can even download the dataset yourself if you wish.

Once an update is made to bus open data normally bustimes updates in the middle of the night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922-152425~2.png
    Screenshot_20230922-152425~2.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20230922-152437~2.png
    Screenshot_20230922-152437~2.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 59

Just wondering why the new "Bee Network" routes are set up on Bustimes with separate networks for each of the franchise operators. I can see why this may appeal to enthusiasts but I would have thought that if the site is to be useful to the general public it would be better to have all Bee Network routes listed under one operator as the identity of the individual operator of a route is less relevant to the general public with an integrated Bee Network ?

alex397

Established Member
Just wondering why the new "Bee Network" routes are set up on Bustimes with separate networks for each of the franchise operators. I can see why this may appeal to enthusiasts but I would have thought that if the site is to be useful to the general public it would be better to have all Bee Network routes listed under one operator as the identity of the individual operator of a route is less relevant to the general public with an integrated Bee Network ?
That would probably require a lot of work from the person behind bustimes. I think the data is received from the operators who register and run the routes, so it naturally comes under the heading of that operator. It would require more work to then seperate the Bee Network data from the data of that operator's non-Bee Network routes.
London bus routes also come under operator name rather than TfL.

I'm not sure it would make much difference to the general public if routes came under 'Bee Network' or 'TfL' as I think many would just search '192 Stockport' to get the timetable they want, or just search the map for the route they want.

Vexed

It's an Uno issue because they haven't updated their bus open data. They haven't even bothered to update the timetables on their website with half of the September changes and appropriate notes, UNOs quality has dropped significantly.

Thanks for the explanation.

While we are at that, let's merge all London buses into one London Bus operator ;)

The reason for this is they all have different operator codes - 4-letter codes denoting each GB bus operator, in this case BNDB (Diamond), BNGN (Go North West), BNSM (Stagecoach), and BNVB (Vision Bus). All with different fleet number systems, might I add!

Ken H

On Moderation
Just to prove you cannot wholly rely on Bustimes being right, I have just used Harrogate's 1255 Service 3 which Bustimes.org is not listing as being worked today; it was a B7RLE standing in for a missing Electric and presumably not tracking. Only 5 of the 8 Electrics being available. Two, 805 and 808,have not worked since September although both were re-taxed subsequently.
Where does Bustimes data of which bus is operating which route come from? And can bad data there spoil the map display?

Last edited by a moderator:

duncombec

Where does Bustimes data of which bus is operating which route come from? And can bad data there spoil the map display?

It's stated at the bottom of each timetable. In this case,
Timetable data from Transdev/Bus Open Data Service (BODS), 7 December 2023. We’re not endorsed by, affiliated with or supported by them, and they don’t warrant the accuracy or quality of the information.

In this case, the vehicle also appears to have worked the 1415.

As to why it's not tracking, as there is no bus showing at all, that suggests a fault with the tracking on that particular machine, rather than a case of mistaken identity or an error in the data.

SCH117X

Established Member
In this case, the vehicle also appears to have worked the 1415.

As to why it's not tracking, as there is no bus showing at all, that suggests a fault with the tracking on that particular machine, rather than a case of mistaken identity or an error in the data.
It could explain why the 24 has apparently not had a service some days if the same B7RLE was in use. The vehicles rota should be to largely flip between the 2 and 3 workings including as you say the 1415 '3' plus a couple of 6's thrown in if it follows that of 801 yesterday
Last Friday, which was somewhat chaotic, however the 1635 '3' was worked by an Electric which had come in off an 'X6'.
The GPS was working on the B7RLE as the internal passenger display was correctly updating but clearly no upload occurring.

ACBest

The GPS was working on the B7RLE as the internal passenger display was correctly updating but clearly no upload occurring.
The ticket machine and next stop displays have their own, separate GPS antennae. It’s a shame nobody’s come up with a way to integrate the lot yet!

jazza374

With regards to not tracking, there are around 60 First Glasgow vehicles which stopped tracking on 16th October early morning, 64130,64144 and 67744 to name only three. Wonder why some of the fleet stopped tracking? All these 60 vehicles are in use.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The data for which bus is operating each route comes from Bus Open Data, in Transdevs case, it would be this specific dataset for the Harrogate area: https://data.bus-data.dft.gov.uk/avl/dataset/7680/
Bad data can spoil the map yes.

For timetable information, Duncombec is correct (Timetable and tracking information can come from very different sources)

With regards to not tracking, there are around 60 First Glasgow vehicles which stopped tracking on 16th October early morning, 64130,64144 and 67744 to name only three. Wonder why some of the fleet stopped tracking? All these 60 vehicles are in use.
'Tracking' (if you can call if that for vehicles through SPTs system, it's more of a journey log as there is no actual tracking) comes from an SPT system, I believe, the same data that SPT use to provide their real time information. As a way to troubleshoot, check if the buses are showing up on SPTs real time system and check if they are showing up on the First Bus app. That will help to work out where the issue is coming from. The data which goes through SPTs system though does seem to be patchy with some other operators doing fine for days then nothing for ages (Not blaming SPT, it's just easier to explain as it's operators data which comes through their system)

PeterC

Established Member
I don't go down to the bus stop without checking on my bus location and timing. Very often saves a long wait.
I have started doing that. Saved me a long wait when a bus went out of service part way through the route.

I iften avoid following one route locally as our local independent interiors across several routes and drivers often don't reset their ticket machines until they get a cash customer.

jazza374

The data for which bus is operating each route comes from Bus Open Data, in Transdevs case, it would be this specific dataset for the Harrogate area: https://data.bus-data.dft.gov.uk/avl/dataset/7680/
Bad data can spoil the map yes.

For timetable information, Duncombec is correct (Timetable and tracking information can come from very different sources)

'Tracking' (if you can call if that for vehicles through SPTs system, it's more of a journey log as there is no actual tracking) comes from an SPT system, I believe, the same data that SPT use to provide their real time information. As a way to troubleshoot, check if the buses are showing up on SPTs real time system and check if they are showing up on the First Bus app. That will help to work out where the issue is coming from. The data which goes through SPTs system though does seem to be patchy with some other operators doing fine for days then nothing for ages (Not blaming SPT, it's just easier to explain as it's operators data which comes through their system)
The issue has been resolved this morning - unsure if coincidence or someone has fixed it. Either way all active vehicles now tracking.

341o2

Established Member
I just want to say a big thank you to bustimes.org, the information has proved invaluable regarding the operations of Morebus following the collapse of Yellow Buses

Leedsbusman

On the ticket machine is the bus set by putting its number in or is it chosen from a list of vehicles? Today Harrogate Volvo Electric 803 for a brief moment decided it was B7RLE 1703
The seemingly use of Gemini 3 3641 was actually Electric 801 which was corrected in the afternoon
isn’t more a case that 1703 has logged onto the 2 by error and quickly corrected to the 1B within a minute. 803 was logged on the 2 before 1703. The tracking also puts 1703 on the 1B stand.
Ticketer machines have a list of vehicles set up to select from. Operators can specify if the vehicle number can be set by an admin or is entered each time by the driver.

SCH117X

Established Member
isn’t more a case that 1703 has logged onto the 2 by error and quickly corrected to the 1B within a minute. 803 was logged on the 2 before 1703. The tracking also puts 1703 on the 1B stand.
Ticketer machines have a list of vehicles set up to select from. Operators can specify if the vehicle number can be set by an admin or is entered each time by the driver.
Thanks and good spot. Another hiccup around the same time as 1705 is listed as working the same 1B when it ran the following 1A.
801 was a bit off, certainly whilst running as 3641, as the wifi was not working right on it and notably the next stop display did not change to listing the forthcoming bus and rail departures as it approached the bus station. It was also not tracking on the Transdev Go app but Bustimes was following it.
808s tracking on the 1215 route 3 https://bustimes.org/vehicles/hrgt-808-bn68xsd#journeys/528199811 is wonky due to the ticket machine failing and ultimately being restarted. It then took the GPS a couple of stops to work out where it was.

Statto

Established Member
One annoyance is that bus times doesn't show joint services, like on Merseyside there are a few Arriva & Stagecoach joint services (part of the Merseytravel quality bus network), but it doesn't show them as such on bus times.