• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE Route Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jord

I just thought about making this thread because i was wondering what routes other people would like to see even if it is wishful thinking or maybe one could be built, well here's mine:

1. Rugby - Stafford Via Coventry, Birmingham New St and Wolverhampton:

The WCML between Rugby - Stafford is closed and so all freight and passenger trains are diverted via Birmingham New St. As there has been a fatality on the Bescot line as well, Freight cannot go via Bescot Yard therefore all trains including class 37s, 66s, 31s on a test train and a 50 on a railtour all go through Birmingham and because it's so busy, in your freight train you have to wait at red signals while a path through New Street is made for you, most likely 1 of the 2 middle roads.

2. Exeter - Paignton:

Drive HSTs, class 66s from Goodrington Stone - Exeter where a driver change takes place and a 37 on a railtour down the sea wall then ECS into Goodrington Carridge Sidings, then run round ready for the return trip to Exeter.

3. Carlisle Yard - Blyth Alcan/Tyne Docks:

Drive HSTs between Newcastle and Carlisle on the Tyne Valley diversions and a 37 works Alcan tanks and drive a 66 from Tyne Docks - Carlisle Yard.

EDIT: Thought of another route [see below]

4. Mossend - EWS Aberdeen Gulid St Depot/Waterloo Docks:

Drive class 66s and 37s on the Enterprise north to Aberdeen and also take a small rake of tanks from Guild St - Waterloo Docks and drive a 50 or 31 on a railtour from the driver change at Mossend upto Aberdeen, then run round and take the coaches ECS into Aberdeen Clayhills Depot.

I'll edit this post if i think of any others [so keep coming back to check], but as you can tell this is just a wishful thinking thing and i'm curious on what routes people would like to see in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Well, if your asking on a personal matter, I would love to see a Exeter-Salisbury-London Waterloo done, but that's wishful thinking, seeing that it takes nearly 4hrs to run, so I would settle for the run to Salisbury, just so as to get to drive a 159 (aka 158 modified) on it. With reguards to Exeter-Paignton, that would be a good one, as we got a 153, a 158/159, HST. Exeter-Plymouth would be good as well. Will need to think up a few others.

Mart

Turbostar

Clearly you have never been to Dawlish as this http://www.class50-hoover-bashers.com/bve/langstone-c.jpg is Langstone rock...

Regarding Goodrington - Exeter stone. That stopped in 2000!!

I may make the route in KRS though. Looks much easier.

FYI, I have been to Dawlish, Teignmouth etc. many of times! Just didn't recognise the pics, assumed they were part of the St. Erth-St. Ives route, ok.

Mart

Darandio

Established Member
I would love to see Saltburn to Bishop Auckland so much so that i have been compiling a large database of photographs ready to do it myself. I am currently learning how to build a route on BVE hopefully can start soon.

Hopefully I can make it so services can either terminate at Darlington in platforms 2 & 3 or go the full length to Bishop Auckland via platforms 4 & 4a and will be ideally suited to the upcoming Class 142.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Further to my post above, can anyone tell me what sort of timescale i am looking at?
I should be able to devote around 40-50 hours a week to it.
Also, what are the best tools for the job? I am currently learning Routebuilder.

Dennis

Established Member
The timescales needed to build a route will depend not just on it's length but also on the amount of detail added and whether you choose to build all the objects yourself; bit like a model railway, never really finished and always possibilities for enhancement!

It is possible to build basic routes using ready made objects at ~1km per hour although for more detailed routes with custom built objects I'm lucky to get an average of 25m per hour (although I wouldn't describe myself as being a fast worker).

Darandio

Established Member
Cheers Dennis. Ideally i would like to custom build as much as possible but also gain permission to borrow where needed i.e catenary for Darlington.
I understand it will take time but with plenty of spare time i am hoping to get a move on.

Darandio

Established Member
Jord, its opened up that can of worms again mate. I imagine the general reply will be to do it yourself. Although it sounds fantastic, it is a big job. Imagine the credit if you pulled it off though.

Jord

Would not have any clue of where to start or what to do lol, that's why i asked so someone that does this thing could do it :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Anyone who does would have fun doing New Street...

Mossend - Aberdeen, that's a long route, full of huge route files it would be. Might take far too long to load or may exceed maximum length of file.

Personal wished-for route would have to be Swansea - Paddington or Hereford - Paddington. Anyone who remembers me from UKTS will recall I 'did a GC' and promoted my upcoming routes like wildfire, these routes being two of the three I was going to build, all for MSTS. I've never dropped them completely, just taking my sweet time to get them built and for BVE instead. Indeed, S2P was started in Trainz at one point but I got stuck and can't remembered where I put the CDs for that game...

Hoping to eventually tackle a prototypical route soon. Working on a ficitional BVE4 route, with a few miles of track, a couple of loops, a few stations and a few miles of high-speed running. No scenery though. Will be referring to Dennis' tutorials!

Mintona

Established Member
I am trying to build Cardiff - Rhymney - and failing somewhat.

But I might get there one day. ;)

Mintona

Established Member
Blimey, it's still in very basic stages at the moment! If I get there, I will probably use a Freewebs account.

Mintona

Established Member
Goodness, thank you for the link Richard.

I must say though, I am nowhere near the stages of even screenshots yet!

eifion

I would like to see Chester - Holyhead.Lots of Good Scenery especially between Conwy - Bangor. I did read that someone had started to do this route and had succeeded as far as Flint though dont quote me on that.Shoud imagine it would require lots of scenic work what with The Mountains,The Sea and of course The Britannia Bridge over The Menai Straits.:!:
Regards. Eifion.

Status
Not open for further replies.