• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C class 720 updates

Established Member
Walking along London Road earlier in Derby I noticed a 720 with a pink line on the driving vehicle which goes from the cab to the roof and I think pink doors. So I'm assuming this is one of the first C2C units to be built (well 2 coaches of it).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theking

Surprised there hasn't been any photos of them even when I googled I couldn't find one.

fgwrich

Established Member
Surprised there hasn't been any photos of them even when I googled I couldn't find one.
I'm more surprised they haven't been out and about on Alstom's 'test track' (the WCML between Crewe and Willesden) or Old Dalby. Presumably they must be confident enough as a run off the Greater Anglia batch, to test them straight on the C2C lines?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm more surprised they haven't been out and about on Alstom's 'test track' (the WCML between Crewe and Willesden) or Old Dalby. Presumably they must be confident enough as a run off the Greater Anglia batch, to test them straight on the C2C lines?
Isn't getting the first unit to East Ham more about letting the depot fitters start to familiarise themselves with the units, rather than putting them out in service? The mainline testing of this unit can be done later.

fgwrich

Established Member
Isn't getting the first unut to East Ham more about letting the depot fitters start to familiarise themselves with the units, rather than putting them out in service? The mainline testing of this unit can be done later.
There is that, but surely Alstom would want to at least send them a tested unit that actually can work first? I'm pretty sure when C2C received it's 387s, they were tested on the WCML first.

And it's not as if Alstom have their work cut out in shipping out faulty Aventra's as is already...

DanNCL

Established Member
Today’s delivery has not yet left Litchurch Lane. It was supposed to have left at 07:25.

Today’s delivery now cancelled.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
How odd, that was showing as cancelled an hour ago!
Yes that was rather strange - after I saw it left Derby on RTT, someone on Twitter showed the movement as cancelled 10 minutes before. Must’ve been some operational issues they subsequently resolved!

YSTrains

On Moderation
Someone posted it on to YouTube. The livery is completely different to the artists impression.

43102EMR

Established Member
Someone posted it on to YouTube. The livery is completely different to the artists impression.
Personally, I thought the final version it now wears is better. Also worth noting when I saw it, it had 2+2 seating compared to 3+2 on the GA ones. Already a favourite in my books!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Personally, I thought the final version it now wears is better. Also worth noting when I saw it, it had 2+2 seating compared to 3+2 on the GA ones. Already a favourite in my books!
Yellow front lives on in C2C land :)

Established Member
Some 357s on the unwanted EMU pile soon then, didn’t expect it to be this year but must be odds on now if one has turned up!

Domh245

Established Member
Some 357s on the unwanted EMU pile soon then, didn’t expect it to be this year but must be odds on now if one has turned up!

These 720s were always due to replace the 387s, although these have since (at least mostly, if not all) left. Don't expect the 357s to go anywhere

Established Member
357s are staying. These will replace 387s plus some additional capacity.

These 720s were always due to replace the 387s, although these have since (at least mostly, if not all) left. Don't expect the 357s to go anywhere
I believe there are 3 387s with GWR with at least one with GWR logos stuck on the side.

I went to see 720602 today at Barking.
I like the pink doors. The interior seating is 2+2 which I think is best for higher capacity but might annoy some people who may expect a seat.

The GA 720s 3+2 is a bit too tight in my opinion, however it was their franchise agreement to have a many seats as possible.

The new unit along with the 37 dragging it went through Barking twice as it had to come from Stratford via Woodgrange Park. Then passed through Barking Plat 7, (it stopped for a brief moment). Got to the Ripple Road Sliding, where the 37 had to run around, and then back towards Barking Plat 8 and then East Ham Depot.

My videos I captured today:

43102EMR

Established Member
According to an ROG driver on Twitter, 4 of c2c’s 720s have been built so far - the remaining 3 will be delivered to c2c during the course of this week with testing to commence Sunday.

Snow1964

Established Member
Why have they only ordered 12? Seems to be a rather small fleet.

They were to ease overcrowding and allow some of the existing 8 car trains to convert to 12 car by redeploying some peak hour workings. I think there is only 74 units of class 357, but loadings had grown and really needed 80-90 units

At the time of ordering (pre Covid) was severe crowding on some services, partly fixed by the temporary use of some 387s, and this was the permanent solution including bit of capacity growth to work alongside the 20 year old class 357 fleet

These are 24m vehicles, so a 10 car formation is about same length as 12 car class 357

I do not know if they will operate as 2 unit peak hour trains as obviously commuting flows have changed dramatically over last 25 months, there might be more sense in using them as single sets where a 4 car unit is too short, but an 8 car set is bit big.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
Next two deliveries are now pathed on RTT for Thursday and Friday from Litchurch Lane:

Established Member
It's not correct about 2+2 seating throughout, the seating layout is exactly the same as the GA units, including the flip down seats by the doors.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not correct about 2+2 seating throughout, the seating layout is exactly the same as the GA units, including the flip down seats by the doors.

More abominations hit the rails, then...

Wonder how hard it would be to at least remove the third seat as per Merseyrail units' middle coaches way back when?

Established Member
More abominations hit the rails, then...

Wonder how hard it would be to at least remove the third seat as per Merseyrail units' middle coaches way back when?
And the flip down seats by the doors too. They will be more hassle than they're worth. I suspect they might be removed before long once handed over to the TOC...

1D54

Anyone got any idea which units are due to be heading south tomorrow and Friday?