• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C- Future Trainee Train Drivers and Shunters - East Ham and Shoeburyness (23/10/23)

Firestarter

C2C are currently advertising for Trainee Train Drivers and Trainee Shunt Drivers on there website.

Tried posting a link but can’t get it to work.

I'd recommend anyone go here, scroll to Current Vacancies, click 'here' and then Search and you'll find it

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samzino

Very nice. Especially as they're getting some new rolling stock. C2C in this campaign are looking to move quite quickly as testing is expected Nov 23 and Jan 24 for Stage 1 and 2 respectively.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Posting this here which will no doubt be useful in future.

There are 3 stages to the recruitment campaign. The application process involves shortlisted candidates partaking in two psychometric assessment centres, which includes a range of psychometric, reaction and concentration tests. You may be asked to attend these days at short notice. The assessments centre’s will be taking place in November 23 and January 24. Candidates who meet the required pass standard will then be invited to a face-to-face interview with our Driver Management team.

Stage 1 assessments will take place end of November 23 and Stage 2 assessments in January 24

Any offer of employment is subject to a candidate passing the current Train Driver medical standard including (but not limited to) eyesight, hearing, ECG testing, drugs and alcohol screening, a DBS (disclosure barring system check), referencing and a right to work in the UK check. Potential candidates should also note that random drug and alcohol tests may be performed at any time throughout your career at c2c.

• You must be aged 21 or over upon application.
  • Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments in the last 6 months nor
  • Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments more than twice.
  • Photographic ID is required for the assessment and onboarding.
  • Our trainees start with a structured 9–11-month training programme which includes both classroom and practical content before being assessed as a competent part-time Train driver.
  • A probation period of 6 months will begin once competent on c2c routes.
  • Due to the intensity of the training programme, we are unable to guarantee any annual leave during the first 5 months of training.

Samzino

Realized I somehow used the wrong email address for the application login portal but the correct one for the contact email part in the application :!:. Have access to both but wondering if they'll look upon that critically.

Established Member
Realized I somehow used the wrong email address for the application login portal but the correct one for the contact email part in the application :!:. Have access to both but wondering if they'll look upon that critically.
They are really picky about non technical skills (one of them being attention to detail), so potentially.

Samzino

They are really picky about non technical skills (one of them being attention to detail), so potentially.
Ah well haha fair enough. Seems I've corrected it. Website was a tad flinky but gets the job done well.

Established Member
Ah well haha fair enough. Seems I've corrected it. Website was a tad flinky but gets the job done well.
Just looked at your post again and it says you have access to both emails addresses?

They probably won't even notice then.

MattyL

Anyone know if you can apply for both roles or would it be best just going for the one?

Also i have passed my psychometric tests which are still valid, wondering if would get to bypass taking these again?

Trackboy

Does anyone have OPC email? I need to check with them about my two chances. I had taken test about 8 years back. Can't remember if I have completely failed.

Thank you.

Samzino

Anyone know if you can apply for both roles or would it be best just going for the one?

Also i have passed my psychometric tests which are still valid, wondering if would get to bypass taking these again?
No harm in trying if it doesn't implicitly say otherwise.

Just looked at your post again and it says you have access to both emails addresses?

They probably won't even notice then.
:)

Ses16

I’ve put an application in but I’m just wondering, isn’t Fenchurch Street classed as a depot? Otherwise I’ll have to always start my shift at the East Ham depot?

mattymat

Are c2c tests hard? Also there isn’t online testing like other TOCs it’s all in person by the sounds of it.

Class2ldn

I’ve put an application in but I’m just wondering, isn’t Fenchurch Street classed as a depot? Otherwise I’ll have to always start my shift at the East Ham depot?
East ham is the depot, thats where you'll normally book on unless they've got remote booking on points at fenchurch Street but that would only be ideal if the train your working starts from there, most will require you to go to east ham to start.

Ses16

East ham is the depot, thats where you'll normally book on unless they've got remote booking on points at fenchurch Street but that would only be ideal if the train your working starts from there, most will require you to go to east ham to start.
Thank you for the response and info. Very helpful. Definitely got a better understanding of it now.

Established Member
Thank you for the response and info. Very helpful. Definitely got a better understanding of it now.
It may have changed since I left, but most part time jobs start/finish at Fen on the late turns. Early had more EH work.

Full time had some more East Ham work but still a good chunk starting or finishing at Fen.

Shoeburyness can sign on and finish either there or Southend Central.

East Ham can sign on and finish at EH, Barking or Fen.

Free taxis are provided on request from Barking to East Ham and return. When no trains are running taxis can be provided from Upminster (Barking has no car parking).

This may have changed but there used to be a union agreement that all shifts would start and finish in the same location. That resulted in lots of pass time in diagrams that you didn't need to do if you didn't need to eg go and get your car from the depot.

A few diagrams due to said union agreement has you travelling passenger the entire length of the line at the end of your shift!

Samzino

Is the C2C line quite a quiet line? I only seem to remember West Ham and Fenchurch being quiet busy when I used to go past before covid during rush hour times. However trains were noticeably full at times.

Established Member
Is the C2C line quite a quiet line? I only seem to remember West Ham and Fenchurch being quiet busy when I used to go past before covid during rush hour times. However trains were noticeably full at times.
The peaks are very busy - off peak is busier than it used to be.
Reasonable amounts of people heading to the seaside when the weather is nice and heading to events at West Ham/Olympic Park.

Samzino

The peaks are very busy - off peak is busier than it used to be.
Reasonable amounts of people heading to the seaside when the weather is nice and heading to events at West Ham/Olympic Park.
I see nice. Its quite a scenic route too especially going up and down of Fenchurch. Only other route closer to it as Scenic is the Liverpool street up and downs. I believe tbh C2C also call at Liv Street on the weekends which is nice.

Established Member
Are c2c tests hard? Also there isn’t online testing like other TOCs it’s all in person by the sounds of it.
IMO you can either cross through groups of four dots or you can't.

AFAIK they are the same tests as everywhere else and done to national standard.

Ses16

IMO you can either cross through groups of four dots or you can't.

AFAIK they are the same tests as everywhere else and done to national standard.
Oh that’s surprising, thought they were tested to enhanced.

golfsareus

I see nice. Its quite a scenic route too especially going up and down of Fenchurch. Only other route closer to it as Scenic is the Liverpool street up and downs. I believe tbh C2C also call at Liv Street on the weekends which is nice.
C2C does not call at LST unless there are engineering works in London then there divert and call at Statford and LST

MattyL

Just applying and the website is dreadful, got to be careful not to make any mistakes on there! :lol:

mattymat

I have a business base nearby where I can live which I included as my address? But my proper home is far away I’m hoping they’ll still consider me if I can live there. My ID will show my permanent home though I wonder if they’ll progress me.

Ses16

Possibly too soon, but has anyone heard anything back yet?
The listing only closed 2 days ago lol (due to being extended past the original deadline)

They said if you don’t hear anything within 6 weeks, they won’t go forward with your application.

MattyL

The listing only closed 2 days ago lol (due to being extended past the original deadline)

They said if you don’t hear anything within 6 weeks, they won’t go forward with your application.
Oh ok, didn't realise it got extended. Thought they might be on the case straight away due to assessments starting end of the month.

Ses16

Oh ok, didn't realise it got extended. Thought they might be on the case straight away due to assessments starting end of the month.
That’s true they do want to move quickly on this, so it’s good that we’ll definitely know this month if we get sent for assessments come December.