• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

c2c new timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Does anyone know what these new trains will be?

Searle

Established Member
I don't think many businessmen who get a non stopper at Limehouse or West Ham will be very pleased that their service is being slowed down for those stops! Otherwise than that, I can't see any downsides (although I'm sure some people will find some :D)

Simon11

Established Member
Do remember that West Ham is a huge interchange as businessmen travel onwards to Canary Wharf.

While some people may have slightly longer journeys, the increased frequency should give some huge benefits.

chris11256

It'll be interesting. For example there's a few peak trains which skip Leigh & Benfleet. Also one off peak train which skips Southend East & Thorpe Bay.
I'm wondering whether they've added the Leigh/Benfleet skip to make up some time.

Pyromaniac

I wouldn't get me started on the mess of the peak timetable, it doesn't look good.

What bugs me most is the off peak timetable, between Southend Central and Shoeburyness today there is a 15 minute frequency in both directions. In the new timetable this is the same on the Up road, but Down road becomes 12/18 minute frequency...why?

And also I don't understand why from Fenchurch Street the 3 minute frequency is from 1701...I mean why not from 1700? Or is my OCD just going mad?

Okay the peak timetable:
1. Less trains from Shoeburyness...half and half split with Thorpe Bay for starters. There is a Shoeburyness starter at 0417...then 0459!
2. Literally every peak train stops at Laindon, surely they don't need that many trains?
3. The timetable in peaks still seems pretty sparodic, surely there can be a service pattern for a 15 minute period that can be looped over and over?

greatkingrat

Established Member
I wouldn't get me started on the mess of the peak timetable, it doesn't look good.

What bugs me most is the off peak timetable, between Southend Central and Shoeburyness today there is a 15 minute frequency in both directions. In the new timetable this is the same on the Up road, but Down road becomes 12/18 minute frequency...why?

That is because half stop at West Horndon and Pitsea and the other half don't. So you can either have even gaps at Fenchurch Street, or at Shoeburyness, but not at both.

Pyromaniac

That is because half stop at West Horndon and Pitsea and the other half don't. So you can either have even gaps at Fenchurch Street, or at Shoeburyness, but not at both.

Yes I am aware of this, and Limehouse is also included there.

Currently the fasts leave London at xx00 and xx30, the slows at xx10 and xx40...the slows lose 5 minutes stopping at Limehouse, West Horndon and Pitsea and evens out from Benfleet onwards (ignoring the Ockendon loop services).

In my mind the slightly odd gaps work better in London, due to more trains for
the Ockendon and Rainham loop services.

But the point is, if there can be a 15 mins headway to London, why can't there be the same from London like at present?

greatkingrat

Established Member
In the new timetable everything will be stopping at Limehouse.

It makes more sense to have a regular pattern at the London end as that is where the vast majority of people will be boarding.

The place that loses out is Upminster as they now have a 15 minute gap in service, rather than the current regular 10 minute service.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
The problem is if you have everything stop everywhere for the first few stops like SWT does, it only takes the slightest glitch and it (service) all comes crashing down like a house of cards.

It makes a bit of sense to have some not call at all shacks in between the others that do.

chris11256

All I can hope for is c2c revise the timetable to get a better balance of services. I honestly think that having every train stop barking-limehouse is overkill.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
All I can hope for is c2c revise the timetable to get a better balance of services. I honestly think that having every train stop barking-limehouse is overkill.

Because it's a two track railway, having some trains not stop at these stations would increase the spacing between trains and therefore reduce the total number that can be run.

Established Member
Thats where the money has to come from to pay for everything else...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The problem is if you have everything stop everywhere for the first few stops like SWT does, it only takes the slightest glitch and it (service) all comes crashing down like a house of cards.

It makes a bit of sense to have some not call at all shacks in between the others that do.
It is the same as SWT - on the suburbans - Barking is pretty much the same in many ways to SWT's Wimbledon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is already massively revised (all improvements) from what the bid produced!!!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Hmm, I used to commute Westcliff-Fenchurch St, and preferred to get the trains that ran non-stop between the coast (Benfleet) and the city (either Limehouse or Fenchurch), not because they were necessarily quicker than stopping trains (some were, some weren't), but because of the pleasure of an unbroken journey (which on the coastbound journey would usually be followed by sitting at Benfleet for five minutes of recovery time...)

Still, I don't know quite what I think of this. I think the case for additional stops at Limehouse (now with Docklands being what it is) and West Ham (ditto, and with the Jubilee line) is strong (Barking? as a major junction maybe that too, perhaps); and looking at some of the proposed changes it's evident that not all journeys will be longer as a result of the stops, given the limited track capacity and impossibility of overtaking. What I am less convinced about is the doing away with the Laindon starters - the predictions of capacity limitations at some stations under the new schedule (with West Horndon being a particularly extreme example) are not encouraging.

Class 170101

Established Member
Having had a brief look the following is noted

Leaving Fenchurch Street at xx:01 and every three minutes is a difficult pattern to remember. Surely it would be much easier to depart at xx:00 and then every three minutes like the three times tables.

The last train from Fenchurch Street may as well be 00:40 rather than 00:34 to be a consistent pattern six days a week. (The last train on Saturday nights is currently 00:40).

Status
Not open for further replies.