• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cab Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMSDUCHESS

Hi there, this may seem like a stupid question but when driving a train at night does the driver turn the cab light on? Surely there would be a reflection in the windscreen if it was on?

Appreciate any answers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ASharpe

A really stupid question (TB93 can ignore it):

Is visibility that important for train driver? Most signals are bright lights now which I would imagine are still visible with the cab light on.

How likely is it that a train could stop within sighting distance?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Is visibility that important for train driver? Most signals are bright lights now which I would imagine are still visible with the cab light on....

Signals might be illuminated, but not a lot else is.

....How likely is it that a train could stop within sighting distance?

Depends how fast the train is going, how far the driver can see and what his/her reflexes are like.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Not quite the same thing, but when the class 303 "Blue trains" were introduced on the North Clyde line they had large curved cab windows and the much prized front seats in the leading coach gave an excellent "cab ride" view. Most drivers put the blinds down on the rear windows of the cab after dark for the reasons we have been discussing, but surprisingly some didn't and treated the passengers to an interesting night view. There must have been some reflections from the coach but perhaps the shape of the windscreen minimised the distraction for the driver.
The back seats in the rear coach also gave a great view if the blinds were up.

Welshman

Established Member
I knew some dmu drivers in Yorkshire would leave the blind on the passenger side up during darkness [having pulled the one on their side down]. They said they liked to feel it gave them a bit of "company"

However, later on, most drivers seemed to leave all three blinds down during the daytime aswell.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hi there, this may seem like a stupid question but when driving a train at night does the driver turn the cab light on? Surely there would be a reflection in the windscreen if it was on?

Appreciate any answers.

Speaking from the point of view of London Underground, there are some drivers who drive with the light on some or all of the time, including in darkness or in the tunnels. I'd say roughly 10% or so do.

It is possible to do it, although personally I've never been keen as it does reduce the view, however anything that the driver needs to see should be visible - any trackside signage is either externally illuminated or reflective. However, if the bulb is gone or the sign is dirty this isn't necessarily so, and certainly an unlit signal would be very difficult to spot -- although of course the driver should know the road and not be relying on signage.

Jamesb1974

Is visibility that important for train driver? Most signals are bright lights now which I would imagine are still visible with the cab light on.

How likely is it that a train could stop within sighting distance?

Try driving on an Absolute Block line with semaphores and then consider how important visibility is.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I keep the cab light off at night and have observed that most of my colleagues do the same. We're paid to look at what's going on outside and to drive the train accordingly, so you need to have the best view possible, even where the signals are colour lights and the lineside signage reflective. And the best way of securing that view is to have the cab in darkness.

O L Leigh

starrymarkb

Established Member
SAABs used to have a night mode which killed all dash lighting but the Speedo and any warnings

Antman

Established Member
Speaking from the point of view of London Underground, there are some drivers who drive with the light on some or all of the time, including in darkness or in the tunnels. I'd say roughly 10% or so do.

It is possible to do it, although personally I've never been keen as it does reduce the view, however anything that the driver needs to see should be visible - any trackside signage is either externally illuminated or reflective. However, if the bulb is gone or the sign is dirty this isn't necessarily so, and certainly an unlit signal would be very difficult to spot -- although of course the driver should know the road and not be relying on signage.

It seems to be quite common on London Underground, I'd certainly say a lot more than 10%

TDK

Established Member
And quickly turned on and off for the lonely Bobby as he waves from his Box.

Some companies discourage this and will have a word with a driver if they are seen to be doing it, apparently some managers and you know the ones I mean think it is a distraction to the driver :roll::roll:

Established Member
On 158s I used to stuff a serviette into the map light over the drivers seat to have 'mood lighting' at night. I kid you not. Any of the cab lights were blooming bright at night otherwise.

Llama

Established Member
Flicking the destination light off and on as a greeting to approaching drivers is a habit I formed for some reason.

With the cab lights, you often don't need them on these days with the stupidly bright LED instrument lights that are not only bright enough to light up the whole cab area but are also in your line of sight. If wearing a light coloured shirt all you can see on some units is your own reflection in the cab window.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Some companies discourage this and will have a word with a driver if they are seen to be doing it, apparently some managers and you know the ones I mean think it is a distraction to the driver :roll::roll:

Typical! No thought of us lonely bobbies!!:roll::(
Boo Hoo.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
The vast majority of drivers over our line wave enthusiastically, and most flick the cab light on at night too. It's always appreciated!

Pacerpilot

Always Light on and a wave for Bobbies and other freight drivers. The Marches is a lonely old place at 3am so it's nice to see someone else.

Jamesb1974

Always Light on and a wave for Bobbies and other freight drivers. The Marches is a lonely old place at 3am so it's nice to see someone else.

Couldn't agree more. The modern railway seems an awfully lonely place to work sometimes, so showing a bit of the 'human touch' and acknowledging your fellow man in the middle of the night (or day for that matter), is a nice thing to do.

Pacerpilot

I did curse a couple of the Marches signalmen for ignoring me initially...until I realised those boxes were switched out at that time of night.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Thank you.
I've always waved to drivers as I'm sure they are as pleased to see someone as we are.
A Marches bobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.