• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Jez

Established Member
Looks like normal service has more or less resumed today after a quick look at RTT. The only services I can see that are not 197 between Cardiff and Swansea is the booked MK4 working 1630 Manchester plus the 0622 Cardiff to Pembroke Dock which is a 150. Every service in the other direction between Swansea and Cardiff is a 197.

So one of the 3 Pembroke diagrams is a 150 but that isnt too bad considering until recently it was 100% Sprinters on that route. So likely to see a 150 going back to Cardiff on a service tomorrow I assume to swap the 150 back.

There appears to be better allocation of 3 cars on the Manchesters as well and even a few 4 cars which I believe are booked now e.g. the 0910 Milford to Manchester. The 0914 Swanline is also formed of 4 carriages. I think one set goes onto the Fishguard from Swansea around 11.00. Still it must have been a nice surprise for Swanliners who usually get 2 carriages.

@Lurcheroo I noticed it said to report the air con on X/Twitter. I do use it occasionally. They usually advise passengers to inform the train crew about such things but sometimes they said they will get in touch with the conductor. So its certainly worth reporting I think.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Looks like normal service has more or less resumed today after a quick look at RTT. The only services I can see that are not 197 between Cardiff and Swansea is the booked MK4 working 1630 Manchester plus the 0622 Cardiff to Pembroke Dock which is a 150. Every service in the other direction between Swansea and Cardiff is a 197.

So one of the 3 Pembroke diagrams is a 150 but that isnt too bad considering until recently it was 100% Sprinters on that route. So likely to see a 150 going back to Cardiff on a service tomorrow I assume to swap the 150 back.

There appears to be better allocation of 3 cars on the Manchesters as well and even a few 4 cars which I believe are booked now e.g. the 0910 Milford to Manchester. The 0914 Swanline is also formed of 4 carriages. I think one set goes onto the Fishguard from Swansea around 11.00. Still it must have been a nice surprise for Swanliners who usually get 2 carriages.

@Lurcheroo I noticed it said to report the air con on X/Twitter. I do use it occasionally. They usually advise passengers to inform the train crew about such things but sometimes they said they will get in touch with the conductor. So its certainly worth reporting I think.

158819 on one of the Chester to Liverpool diagrams today…

rich.davies

Yep, they do, and they do sometimes work. When it’s a warm day and working the saloon is quite pleasant. The best it can ever do is 6°C below the outside temp so once it gets really warm out, even the saloon will feel warm with the AC going but it’s still better than opening the windows.
Drivers also get AC on 158’s but guards don’t and the back cab seems to get a lot hotter than the saloon.

Yeah that does happen a bit to be fair.

I’d have done the same and just sat on the available seat haha.
Yeah of course, it’s a bit weird when there’s plenty of airline seat bays available and someone sits next to you in an airline seat though!
But once it gets busy, you have to just accept that you have to sit next to someone.

Just looked, it seems to just ask you to send it to them on X (twitter), which I don’t really use.

Not totally sure what’s gone on. I know a HOW was cancelled so possible getting units in the right place.

Looks like the first day of fault free mileage accumulation on the Cambrian.
looks like to comes from Crewe, heads to Dovey junction, shuttles back to Welshpool then back to Dovey junction and then goes back to Crewe again.

Looks like it didn't make it past Shrewsbury due to signalling issues

Jez

Established Member
158819 on one of the Chester to Liverpool diagrams today…
Ah, thanks. I hadn't checked what was happening in the North..

I see there are 2 x 3 car 197s on Ebbw Vale (the other diagram is a 150) and 1 x 3 car on Maesteg. The other Maestegs are mixture of 2 car 197s, a pair of 153s and a 150.

vicbury

How smart is the software on the 197s i.e. will the train automatically report such faults to the depot?

I think they will get notifications about certain things but train crew are still expected to report it.
Surely if the train can report automatically, then that the train has done so is fed back to the crew, so they know that they can save themselves a job? Sounds like a wasted effort if they have to do it no matter if it was done already?

craigybagel

Established Member
Both TfW maintenance staff and CAF are able to monitor pretty much every aspect of the units in real time - but I'm not sure if they get sent warnings about developing issues automatically. Any time I've spoken to them about a problem, they've not known about it until I've made them aware.

MP393

How smart is the software on the 197s i.e. will the train automatically report such faults to the depot?

Maintenance can “log in” remotely and see faults on the TMS of each unit but they won’t tend too until prompted to by train-crew reporting a fault, etc. So in theory self reporting faults probably could be set up, but for now it’s still responsibility of the crew to report faults.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Maintenance can “log in” remotely and see faults on the TMS of each unit but they won’t tend too until prompted to by train-crew reporting a fault, etc. So in theory self reporting faults probably could be set up, but for now it’s still responsibility of the crew to report faults.
Of course a fault with a system like that could be a fault reporting a fault which isn't actually a fault :D

WirralLine

I have had faults with a 197 before where maintenance have advised me of things to reset/look at (which didn't help) so they then contacted CAF who were able to look at the unit remotely from a computer - pretty impressive. As soon as CAF did so the fault either fixed itself - I'm not sure if it did but its as if CAF were able to reset a system or something remotely from their computer!

Krokodil

Established Member
The unit doesn't usually record HVAC issues as a fault. It just seems to think that 28 degrees is a perfectly normal temperature. Different if something has actually tripped.

Last edited:

Lurcheroo

Both TfW maintenance staff and CAF are able to monitor pretty much every aspect of the units in real time - but I'm not sure if they get sent warnings about developing issues automatically. Any time I've spoken to them about a problem, they've not known about it until I've made them aware.
Ahh yes, that sounds much more like it. It’s been over 6 months since I’ve touched one now. And based on todays events, doesn’t look like likely I will anytime soon either haha!

craigybagel

Established Member
Ahh yes, that sounds much more like it. It’s been over 6 months since I’ve touched one now. And based on todays events, doesn’t look like likely I will anytime soon either haha!
Don't worry, when the time comes you'll get plenty of chances to see how it all works with support from maintenance and CAF :lol:

Jez

Established Member
A quick question that might well have been answered here before regarding the Heart of Wales Line, has a 197 ever been on that line ? Im quite sure they havent but just wanted to clarify with someone who would know for definate. Im talking about ECS movements obviously not passenger service.

Im aware the long term plan is to continue using the 153s on HOWL but I assume 197s will be cleared eventually like the 175s were and then they have the scope to use them if they wish.

Lurcheroo

Don't worry, when the time comes you'll get plenty of chances to see how it all works with support from maintenance and CAF :lol:
Haha no doubt!
024 has succeeded in getting past the transition point and onto the Cambrian today so that’s a start haha.

Last thing I heard was 2026. At the earliest.
I’ve heard everything from end of this year all the way up to 2028. I could see mid next year being a reasonable target. But only time will tell.