• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cafe on Platform 6 Crewe

Peter Sarf

Established Member
For food it is (was ?) the Petrol Station on the roundabout to the East of Crewe station less than ten minutes away for me. That is where I started my habit of buying a loaf of sliced bread, cheese singles (or spread) and sliced ham - thus ignoring expensive and unreliable railway food.

Yes Crewe is turning into another piece of decaying British architecture.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

I think for good station pubs to work they have to serve the local people and those awaiting/meeting arriving passengers too, so having a pub on Platform 6 and behind the gateline doesn't really work.

There is actually a really good one in Manchester Victoria nowadays which, because it's not sealed off by the gateline, has become an after-work place for many, and somewhere I will happily spend time while waiting for a train.

ian1944

The P6 offering sounds like the bus station caffs I remember in my youth when travelling on a child's day ticket, with the difference that they had permanent smoke palls and everything was nicotine-brown, and probably the value for money was much better.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think for good station pubs to work they have to serve the local people and those awaiting/meeting arriving passengers too, so having a pub on Platform 6 and behind the gateline doesn't really work.

There is actually a really good one in Manchester Victoria nowadays which, because it's not sealed off by the gateline, has become an after-work place for many, and somewhere I will happily spend time while waiting for a train.

I always think that if you can't sustain a cask, have a few decent bottles to choose from. The one at Preston seems to manage this.

Llandudno

Established Member
I timed it at 8 minutes once. [ Straight down Nantwich Road and it's on your right ]
Ebeneezers is decent, but check opening hours carefully!

Closed all day Monday and doesn’t open until 1600 on other midweek days!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The cafe on P6 used to sell an excellent pint of handpulled Robinsons. So much so that I remember persuading my then boss not to wait at Euston for the next through working to Chester but to take an earlier train to Crewe and have a beer while waiting for the Chester train to arrive.

The cafe is now a depressing place which closes far too early. Many people have to change trains at Crewe quite late at night and should be provided with decent food & drink facilities.

Established Member
I've spent many an hour at Crewe late at night waiting for the last Preston bound Avanti service, which is often late. And there's nothing open. Just the (often busy!) waiting room and that's it. To be able to sit and have a beer or something more substantial than a Mars bar Fri the vending machine would be great.

There's quite often Irish people* around at that time waiting for a train to Holyhead in order to catch the ferry. I'm sure they'd appreciate the opportunity of a cafe/bar given the next opportunity will be onboard the ship after 2AM.

(*Obviously I'm sure there will be non Irish people in the same boat-literally, but they don't stand out as much with the lack of an Irish accent)

Mugby

Established Member
Until fairly recently, the cafe on Pl.6 had a hot drinks machine from which you could get a decent cup of coffee for just £1.

I noted recently it's gone now, it was probably abstracting too much custom from the £3.50 coffees sold at the counter!