• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Nowadays, at London Victoria, I get the impression they shoo everyone out for the wee hours. So I would not rely on it anymore even at stations served by the sleeper.
Yes, they do – it’s easier at the moment as on the Covid timetable there’s nothing between the last southeastern to Gillingham at 0040 and the 0430 Gatwick.

If memory serves, there used to be an hourly Victoria to Brighton train through the night but the station was shut up for 45ish minutes an hour between trains.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yes, they do – it’s easier at the moment as on the Covid timetable there’s nothing between the last southeastern to Gillingham at 0040 and the 0430 Gatwick.

If memory serves, there used to be an hourly Victoria to Brighton train through the night but the station was shut up for 45ish minutes an hour between trains.
Back when I relied on the overnights to Croydon it seemed to stay open. I used to aim for the 00:42 stopper but hang on for the 01:00 with a loo. But I never encountered problems if I missed the 01:00 etc and was waiting for an hour for the 02:00 or 03:00. The overnight services were withdrawn long before Covid and warning signs stating overnight closure appeared. The withdrawal of services affected many workers in the hotel and other hospitality industries that used to rely on them to get home from the West End. But I think recently further changes might have happened to make this closure more enforced so would affect CS as well.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
I've noticed that all three Highlander portions produced 66+73 combos the past couple of nights. Anyone know why this is, when two of them are normally just a single 73?

CW2

Established Member
I've noticed that all three Highlander portions produced 66+73 combos the past couple of nights. Anyone know why this is, when two of them are normally just a single 73?
Reported on WNXX that it is a policy decision when 73 availability gets low to add 66s to all portions to reduce the amount of work the 73 has to do - and therefore the risk of any more failures.
If that is the case, then it must be a new policy, as that's the first time I've seen 66 + 73 combos on all 3 portions.

CW2

Established Member
Not the first time - also happened for a week in January 2020.
OK thanks. I stand corrected. At that time of year I'd put it down to bad weather precautions, but that can't be the case now. Presumably there have been other occasions between January 2020 and May 2021 when availability of 73/9s has been low that hasn't triggered the 66 pilot policy?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Have you seen the weather in Scotland for the last few days?!

Yes. Scotland and Southern England have had it pretty bad. Won't deny where I am hasn't had its fair share of the wet stuff, however I think we've been spared the worst!

williamn

Just had this notification from them which I'm really not happy about having purchased a flexipass. Can't see how it's anything but just a way to make their lives easier.

Thank you so much for your recent Club Solo Occupancy Room booking with us. We are really excited to welcome you aboard here at Caledonian Sleeper. We have missed our guests!

We are contacting you to let you know that there has been a change to our Club Solo Occupancy Rooms. Now, like the name suggests, you are still going to have this room all to yourself but you will notice that the top bunk has been deployed when you board and enter your booked room. This is a big change for both you and us, however, after speaking with our on-board team, guests and the dedicated team who prepare our beloved trains, we know that this is the right decision.

The good news is that if you decide last minute to bring a friend along with you, you absolutely can by just paying the walk-up fare at the station.

I am personally wishing you a lovely journey and stay when the time comes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We are contacting you to let you know that there has been a change to our Club Solo Occupancy Rooms. Now, like the name suggests, you are still going to have this room all to yourself but you will notice that the top bunk has been deployed when you board and enter your booked room. This is a big change for both you and us, however, after speaking with our on-board team, guests and the dedicated team who prepare our beloved trains, we know that this is the right decision.

What an absolute load of drivel. That annoys me more than something honest, e.g. "We need to cut costs as we have been heavily affected by COVID, so to make train preparation easier..."

trebor79

Established Member
What an absolute load of drivel. That annoys me more than something honest, e.g. "We need to cut costs as we have been heavily affected by COVID, so to make train preparation easier..."
TBH that strikes me as better - somewhere to put your bags and cases. I found the cabin somewhat lacking in storage space when I travelled, and I only had 2 holdalls and a laptop bag luggage.

williamn

Indeed. I'd love to know how many guests have told them that they'd like to have an unused bunk over their bed, having paid perhaps £200+ for a one way ticket...

TBH that strikes me as better - somewhere to put your bags and cases. I found the cabin somewhat lacking in storage space when I travelled, and I only had 2 holdalls and a laptop bag luggage.
Fair point - be nice to have the option though? I'm only ever going up with a backpack and one case, both of which fit under the bed fine.

Last edited:

Davester50

Definitely the case in Classic. Yes, it's a little claustrophobic, it overcomes the basic design flaws of the rooms berths.

Essexman

Established Member
I’ve had the same email about top bunk being left in place.
I wonder how many guests they asked.
imagine booking a hotel (which they like to pretend it is) and finding you have to sleep under another bed.

InOban

Established Member
Unlike the rest of the UK, the west of Scotland had very little rain until the past few days. I'd never seen the hills so brown and the burns so dry. All change now.

Davester50

imagine booking a hotel (which they like to pretend it is) and finding you have to sleep under another bed.

Conversely, how many hotels have bunks? Not many. Hostels? Plenty.
I'd suggest hotels are not in the practice of taking extra beds from rooms if solo occupied either.

williamn

Conversely, how many hotels have bunks? Not many. Hostels? Plenty.
I'd suggest hotels are not in the practice of taking extra beds from rooms if solo occupied either.
One isn't exactly paying hostel prices for a ensuite room on the Sleeper though so I don't think its unreasonable to expect an unused bed to be folded away when paying possibly quite far northwards of £200. If its was a bargain berth I wouldn't mind.

trebor79

Established Member
One isn't exactly paying hostel prices for a ensuite room on the Sleeper though so I don't think its unreasonable to expect an unused bed to be folded away when paying possibly quite far northwards of £200. If its was a bargain berth I wouldn't mind.
A hostel doesn't transport you several hundred miles either.
I couldn't care less whether the top bunk is down or not, why is it a big deal? In fact I might prefer to sleep on the top bunk. As noted, a spare bunk is somewhere to stash your stuff too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I couldn't care less whether the top bunk is down or not, why is it a big deal? In fact I might prefer to sleep on the top bunk. As noted, a spare bunk is somewhere to stash your stuff too.

+1. Given that almost the entire time I will be in the room I am intending to sleep (hope rather than expectation), the presence or not of the top bunk is irrelevant.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The only thing I care about is the utter drivel they have put out about it, which shows dishonesty, obfuscation and a lack of customer care.

Do companies actually think people are taken in by that sort of tripe?

Steve Harris

The only thing I care about is the utter drivel they have put out about it, which shows dishonesty, obfuscation and a lack of customer care.

I think the answer is... Obviously yes (otherwise they wouldn't write such tripe)!

trebor79

Established Member

Oh I agree with you there. If it was my company I just wouldn't have said anything. I bet 95% of passengers don't even realise the top bunk can be stowed. In the unlikely event someone asked I'd just say it's operationally more convenient, and means you have a choice of bunk and can stash your stuff on the unused one.

BRX

Established Member
I wonder if something honest might be "we have decided to cut costs" or "due to design failures it's too difficult to fold the bunk up and down regularly" or "we have to re-allocate cabins so frequently it's become impossible".

It was already the case last week, when I saw someone off in a solo cabin to Fort William, that the top bunk was down (we were wondering whether it would be).

I can see that it might be a handy place to put baggage, but it also makes the room more claustrophobic if you want to sit rather than sleep in the morning/evening.

Established Member
I don't understand why people are getting upset over this... this has been the norm for the last year or so at least....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't understand why people are getting upset over this... this has been the norm for the last year or so at least....

I'm not bothered about it, I'm bothered about the tone of the email about it. They'd have been better saying nothing if they didn't have anything sensible to say rather than a load of utter nonsensical waffle.

35B

Established Member
I quite like to be able to sit upright. A bunk bed generally makes that impossible.

Then there’s the guff justifying it.