• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

jfollows

Established Member
How reliable is the Fort William portion generally? I'll be going up to do the jacobite in a couple of weeks and will have about quarter of an hour in Fort William between trains, so hoping the sleeper is on time :lol:
It is now some years since I did this, so nothing to do with the current service, but on the one time that I missed the Jacobite at Fort William I was able to take a taxi to Glenfinnan to catch up with it. Not perfect, but it meant that my holiday plans weren't significantly ruined.

EDIT My wording was vague, I've made the connection at Fort William once and I've had to take a taxi once.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
You are not that likely to miss the Jacobite by a few minutes, if you miss it you will probably miss it properly as if the sleeper is late it usually misses its path, it can happen though.

InOban

Established Member
You can't miss it by a few minuites because they use the same single track between the station and the junction for Mallaig!

Alex27

You are not that likely to miss the Jacobite by a few minutes, if you miss it you will probably miss it properly as if the sleeper is late it usually misses its path, it can happen though.

You can't miss it by a few minuites because they use the same single track between the station and the junction for Mallaig!
Good to know :lol: Well fingers crossed anyway

BRX

Established Member
Each time I've taken the steam train off the sleeper, I've been able to buy a standing ticket just before departure. Have never booked it ahead because of the risk of the sleeper being late - although I don't think I've actually ever been late in on the Fort William portion.

MrEd

On a completely unrelated note, is the on-board catering offering changing any time soon in the light of the easing of restrictions in Scotland? Will we see a lounge car within the next couple of weeks?

williamn

Lounge car was supposed to reopen today, I think according to a post here.

Nothing on the CS site, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as its usually out of date.

island

Veteran Member
With the Riviera it was because of the risk felt to be posed by the use of slamdoors by larger numbers of passengers (or more specifically sticking their heads out of the windows thereof), so it won't be reinstated unless the Riviera stock is replaced with power door stock.

True. Though less is more than none.

Which kinda makes sense, now that the HSTs have been retired the Rivera stock will be the only regularly-operating slam door stock, combined with operation in the early hours of the morning when many people are less alert, the risk of accident would be a lot higher.
The host on the Night Riviera I took some time back seemed to suggest there was some work being done with the droplights which would prevent them being pulled down until the central door locking was released. Entirely possible I misunderstood though…

greaterwest

Established Member
The host on the Night Riviera I took some time back seemed to suggest there was some work being done with the droplights which would prevent them being pulled down until the central door locking was released. Entirely possible I misunderstood though…
The droplights on the Riviera have security locks linked to the interlock, so when the doors are released, you can pull down the droplight. Quite a sensible step, and means the slam doors may continue to operate.

Established Member
Lounge car was supposed to reopen today, I think according to a post here.

Nothing on the CS site, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as its usually out of date.
I can confirm the lounge cars have reopened today, by virtue of having walked through the lounge on 1B01 and seen people eating. Still no booze allowed in the seated coach though.
Something I've just discovered the hard way on a late ScotRail service...

One very expensive (fortunately not for me) taxi to Bridge of Orchy later and I made it onboard the train.

MrEd

I can confirm the lounge cars have reopened today, by virtue of having walked through the lounge on 1B01 and seen people eating. Still no booze allowed in the seated coach though.

Something I've just discovered the hard way on a late ScotRail service...

One very expensive (fortunately not for me) taxi to Bridge of Orchy later and I made it onboard the train.
That’s very strange, as I messaged CS to ask about the lounge and they suggested that it would still be room service only for the next few weeks. Clearly whoever answered the query had false or out-of-date information!

Scotrail/CS must dread having to cough up those taxi fares! Going slightly off-topic, I find that the Fort William taxi drivers universally seem to relish milking the rail industry, and any other unfortunate person in the area who has missed a bus or train and has no other form of transport. They seem to work strictly to the meter and will not deviate from it (in many other parts of rural Scotland, particularly Skye and the other islands, things are far more laid back and it is the norm to agree a reasonable price, often less than that which would be shown by the meter, with the customer beforehand).

Established Member
That’s very strange, as I messaged CS to ask about the lounge and they suggested that it would still be room service only for the next few weeks. Clearly whoever answered the query had false or out-of-date information!

Scotrail/CS must dread having to cough up those taxi fares! Going slightly off-topic, I find that the Fort William taxi drivers universally seem to relish milking the rail industry, and any other unfortunate person in the area who has missed a bus or train and has no other form of transport. They seem to work strictly to the meter and will not deviate from it (in many other parts of rural Scotland, particularly Skye and the other islands, things are far more laid back and it is the norm to agree a reasonable price, often less than that which would be shown by the meter, with the customer beforehand).
Yup. That topic of conversation came up. My driver said he'd already done a rail job to Gorebridge earlier today, £363.

The fare for my journey was just shy of £75. Though I suppose really they have ScotRail/CS properly by the gentlemen vegetables, they have no alternative but to pay if they're contractually obliged to!

Well I must admit so far at least this journey has been remarkably different to my last one. And surprisingly, given last time I was in a Club room and now I'm in a seat, in a good way.

I clearly wasn't expected at Bridge of Orchy, but was made welcome as if I was. One of the lounge staff showed me through to my seat and after departure, the TM came through. Introduced himself, made sure I was aware of the arrangements at Edinburgh first of all with having to change carriages, mentioned the guidelines in place in that it's window seats only for the time being and told me how to get some food.

Had a couple of hours sleep so far which, admittedly, weren't the most comfortable I've ever been, wasn't too bad. I'm pretty much just sat up now waiting to arrive at Edinburgh and have to get off which is a bit annoying admittedly. Although with a grand total of three passengers in this seated coach, I'm intrigued to see how well loaded the Aberdeen one is.

Last edited:

williamn

It amazes me that in a small company like CS a decision can be made to reopen the lounge car, probably a decision made last week, yet no one tells whoever updates the website or runs social media. Still good news and I’ll look forward to using next week.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Sounds good to me. In most of the UK a taxi driver not using the meter or suggesting not using it is going to quote a fare well in excess of what it would show. I would always insist it be turned on.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It amazes me that in a small company like CS a decision can be made to reopen the lounge car, probably a decision made last week, yet no one tells whoever updates the website or runs social media. Still good news and I’ll look forward to using next week.
CS are not the worst offenders. I am amazed at how out of date websites can be. There used to be a Black and Decker service centre in Croydon. Many (5) years after it closed I was pleased to see it must have re-opened - it had not !. It seems the only sure way of knowing a company has gone is when the web site has gone !.

I have the same problem with sourcing Camping Gaz Cylinders. Where Camping Gaz think all Calor suppliers carry their R907s - very few do and it is even worse since Covid !. But that is for another thread.

At least CS is only a wee bit out of date. But I would think it is in their interest to get the positive news out there. Or perhaps they want to play it down - and are maybe not encouraging the use of the lounge cars yet ?. /Conspiracy-theory.

However it is good to see progress back to normality for CS is being made.

Last edited:

Established Member
Quite enjoyed that trip last night. The shunting at Edinburgh is a bit of a pain now though if you're in the Fort William seats.

Previously you'd alight on platform 2 and walk up to platform 19 for the Aberdeen portion, with the Inverness portion on platform 1. Yet now, or this morning at least, it was the Fort William portion that arrived on platform 1 before shunting out to Abbeyhill Junction with us all still onboard, then back into the very rear of platform 2. We were then invited to leave the train and walk up to coach A with our steward. We then had to stand outside the train and wait while the portions were coupped up.

I'd advise taking a cushion for the seats though. Woke up quite a few times with the need to reposition myself, though it was a much better experience than I remember Glasgow-London being in 2019!

paul1609

Established Member
Yup. That topic of conversation came up. My driver said he'd already done a rail job to Gorebridge earlier today, £363.

The fare for my journey was just shy of £75. Though I suppose really they have ScotRail/CS properly by the gentlemen vegetables, they have no alternative but to pay if they're contractually obliged to!

Well I must admit so far at least this journey has been remarkably different to my last one. And surprisingly, given last time I was in a Club room and now I'm in a seat, in a good way.

I clearly wasn't expected at Bridge of Orchy, but was made welcome as if I was. One of the lounge staff showed me through to my seat and after departure, the TM came through. Introduced himself, made sure I was aware of the arrangements at Edinburgh first of all with having to change carriages, mentioned the guidelines in place in that it's window seats only for the time being and told me how to get some food.

Had a couple of hours sleep so far which, admittedly, weren't the most comfortable I've ever been, wasn't too bad. I'm pretty much just sat up now waiting to arrive at Edinburgh and have to get off which is a bit annoying admittedly. Although with a grand total of three passengers in this seated coach, I'm intrigued to see how well loaded the Aberdeen one is.
Fort William to Bridge of Orchy 40 miles with no prospect of a return fare £75 is very reasonable. Down here on Romney Marsh a taxi from Ashford International to a rural address is around £3 a mile before midnight.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Fort William to Bridge of Orchy 40 miles with no prospect of a return fare £75 is very reasonable. Down here on Romney Marsh a taxi from Ashford International to a rural address is around £3 a mile before midnight.

I agree it’s reasonable, but looking at it from another direction, £75 for 2 hours work and 8 litres of diesel sounds like a good deal for the driver too. Not to mention a rather pleasant drive!

MrEd

I agree it’s reasonable, but looking at it from another direction, £75 for 2 hours work and 8 litres of diesel sounds like a good deal for the driver too. Not to mention a rather pleasant drive!
For the passenger, yes, but the A82 is a difficult and often frustrating road to drive - particularly in summer with campervans/tourist traffic/heavy lorries trundling along at 40mph and relatively few good overtaking opportunities. On a crisp, dry autumn/winter day with little traffic I will agree it’s fabulous for the driver too, particularly on the sections over Rannoch Moor.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
For the passenger, yes, but the A82 is a difficult and often frustrating road to drive - particularly in summer with campervans/tourist traffic/heavy lorries trundling along at 40mph and relatively few good overtaking opportunities.

I’ve only ever done it summer - perhaps a dozen times - and it’s always been a joy, even in the rain. Plenty of places to overtake, although some of my passengers may not agree ;)

paul1609

Established Member
For the passenger, yes, but the A82 is a difficult and often frustrating road to drive - particularly in summer with campervans/tourist traffic/heavy lorries trundling along at 40mph and relatively few good overtaking opportunities. On a crisp, dry autumn/winter day with little traffic I will agree it’s fabulous for the driver too, particularly on the sections over Rannoch Moor.
realistically if the op had missed the southbound sleeper, traffic won't be a problem at anytime of year on that road in my experience.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I assumed the no booze in the seats is to keep it in line with ScotRail? I see now the reason for this as your average lounge car passenger doesn't get hammered but rather has a couple of nightcaps, certainly in my case before settling down to whatever passes for sleep on the seats these days

InOban

Established Member
realistically if the op had missed the southbound sleeper, traffic won't be a problem at anytime of year on that road in my experience.
Absolutely. The tourists don't generally get on the move before 10 and are off the road by 18.00.

Grumpy

Going slightly off-topic, I find that the Fort William taxi drivers universally seem to relish milking the rail industry,
They probably think that anyone paying £50 for a round trip to Mallaig in a shabby, dirty, uncomfortable carriage (when the normal more comfortable and cleaner service train costs a third of the price) is barmy and fair game.

Journeyman

Established Member
They probably think that anyone paying £50 for a round trip to Mallaig in a shabby, dirty, uncomfortable carriage (when the normal more comfortable and cleaner service train costs a third of the price) is barmy and fair game.
The TripAdvisor reviews of The Jacobite are surprising. It's quite clear that a lot of people have no idea what to expect when they book it, and the words "absolutely filthy" show up pretty regularly.

trebor79

Established Member
The TripAdvisor reviews of The Jacobite are surprising. It's quite clear that a lot of people have no idea what to expect when they book it, and the words "absolutely filthy" show up pretty regularly.
To be fair, some of the WCRC charter stock is distinctly shabby. An exterior repaint and internal deep clean, painting, varnishing and new floor and seat coverings wouldn't go amiss on a lot of it.