• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Killingworth

Established Member
To be fair, some of the WCRC charter stock is distinctly shabby. An exterior repaint and internal deep clean, painting, varnishing and new floor and seat coverings wouldn't go amiss on a lot of it.
We're off on a tangent with this. I'd agree with the sentiments, but it's a complex issue and surely the subject for another thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I asked the question a week or two back about the formation on the Aberdeen portion over the summer. Saw it arrive on Saturday morning and it was Seats, Lounge, 2x Beds

HST274

I asked the question a week or two back about the formation on the Aberdeen portion over the summer. Saw it arrive on Saturday morning and it was Seats, Lounge, 2x Beds
Makes sense as fort william is definitely more popular in the summer/holidays. I guess they alternate beds based on demand throughout the year

Journeyman

Established Member
Makes sense as fort william is definitely more popular in the summer/holidays. I guess they alternate beds based on demand throughout the year
Less so now. The loadings are getting much more consistent. FW is getting busier in the winter, and the decline in the oil traffic has affected Aberdeen all year round.

MrEd

Less so now. The loadings are getting much more consistent. FW is getting busier in the winter, and the decline in the oil traffic has affected Aberdeen all year round.
You’re right. I don’t think, at present, that there are ever enough passengers to justify more than two sleeping cars to Aberdeen, regardless of whether it is January or July. It is simply not a major tourist destination and the local population are well served by flights and day trains (including three direct LNER services to Kings Cross).

Established Member
I assumed the no booze in the seats is to keep it in line with ScotRail? I see now the reason for this as your average lounge car passenger doesn't get hammered but rather has a couple of nightcaps, certainly in my case before settling down to whatever passes for sleep on the seats these days
The TM gave me that impression, yes. I was tempted to ask why CrossCountry happily sold me a can of lager a couple of weeks ago on a domestic Scottish journey but thought better of it. I only realised when I was looking through the menu and noticed "mixers" but no spirits!

Interesting. When I arrived into Fort William on the sleeper from Corrour in January last year, I did a quick passenger count.

Seven. Admittedly it was midweek and I don't know if people had alighted elsewhere. But two of the 7 were in the seats from Corrour!

BRX

Established Member
I assumed the no booze in the seats is to keep it in line with ScotRail? I see now the reason for this as your average lounge car passenger doesn't get hammered but rather has a couple of nightcaps, certainly in my case before settling down to whatever passes for sleep on the seats these days
I have certainly witnessed a few lounge car passengers getting pretty hammered...

Journeyman

Established Member
I have certainly witnessed a few lounge car passengers getting pretty hammered...
Disruption caused by heavily refreshed passengers isn't unusual. On occasions they've needed to be booted off by BTP en route.

MrEd

Me too, although the last few times I was in a lounge car pre-Covid, things seemed fairly sober. I did once (in about November 2017) sit next to a retired army officer in the northbound Aberdeen lounge who became so drunk that he walked to the toilet and returned with his trousers halfway down his legs, walking straight into the glass partition (as found in the Mk2s) in the process. I also distinctly remember a Charlie Chaplin-esque figure with a broad Cockney accent and severe body odour who started running up and down the Inverness lounge car one Friday night shouting ‘give me whisky’ at startled passengers, before sitting down next to a quiet, elderly Highland couple and yelling ‘och aye the noo’ in a hideous mock-Glaswegian tongue. He seemed to enjoy downing (in its most literal sense) a few more drams as he shattered this couple’s peace, swinging on the loose chair as if it was a see-saw and throwing crisps (which belonged to the poor elderly lady he was sitting next to) at the train manager as he walked through. The crew (and a number of passengers) became increasingly irate and I think, eventually, he was told under no uncertain terms that if he didn’t go back to his berth and stay there the BTP would be called to remove him at Doncaster (this was an ECML diversion in February 2016, if my memory serves me correctly). Perhaps, with hindsight, he should never have been allowed in the lounge in the first place, as he was already steaming when he boarded the train.

The Inverness crew did not call that shift ‘mad Friday’ for nothing, although hopefully passengers like him were few and far between!

Established Member
Me too, although the last few times I was in a lounge car pre-Covid, things seemed fairly sober. I did once (in about November 2017) sit next to a retired army officer in the northbound Aberdeen lounge who became so drunk that he walked to the toilet and returned with his trousers halfway down his legs, walking straight into the glass partition (as found in the Mk2s) in the process. I also distinctly remember a Charlie Chaplin-esque figure with a broad Cockney accent and severe body odour who started running up and down the Inverness lounge car one Friday night shouting ‘give me whisky’ at startled passengers, before sitting down next to a quiet, elderly Highland couple and yelling ‘och aye the noo’ in a hideous mock-Glaswegian tongue. He seemed to enjoy downing (in its most literal sense) a few more drams as he shattered this couple’s peace, swinging on the loose chair as if it was a see-saw and throwing crisps (which belonged to the poor elderly lady he was sitting next to) at the train manager as he walked through. The crew (and a number of passengers) became increasingly irate and I think, eventually, he was told under no uncertain terms that if he didn’t go back to his berth and stay there the BTP would be called to remove him at Doncaster (this was an ECML diversion in February 2016, if my memory serves me correctly). Perhaps, with hindsight, he should never have been allowed in the lounge in the first place, as he was already steaming when he boarded the train.

The Inverness crew did not call that shift ‘mad Friday’ for nothing, although hopefully passengers like him were few and far between!
I hope this was Northbound!

MrEd

I hope this was Northbound!
Yes, it was, 1S25 out of Kings Cross (due to Lamington viaduct blockade) on 19/2/16 if I remember rightly. Thankfully he returned to his berth somewhere north of Peterborough and we never saw him again (one of the staff said he got off at Stirling, so goodness only knows what he would have been like when he had to get off the train at 4.50am).

AberdeenBill

You’re right. I don’t think, at present, that there are ever enough passengers to justify more than two sleeping cars to Aberdeen, regardless of whether it is January or July. It is simply not a major tourist destination and the local population are well served by flights and day trains (including three direct LNER services to Kings Cross).
Whilst i agree with all of the above, I am finding it almost impossible to book a return journey to Aberdeen in late September where i can leave on the Thursday night and return to London on the Sunday night train. Seems to be only seats available (which i haven't done since 1985 and don't intend to do again).

najaB

Veteran Member
True. But remember that the Aberdeen portion also serves other destinations. When I used to get the Sleeper regularly (going back a few years now) there were always at least a handful of other people boarding/alighting at Dundee. Inverkeithing and Kirkcaldy also seemed to have a decent number of patrons.

williamn

Whilst i agree with all of the above, I am finding it almost impossible to book a return journey to Aberdeen in late September where i can leave on the Thursday night and return to London on the Sunday night train. Seems to be only seats available (which i haven't done since 1985 and don't intend to do again).
Yeah similarly I ended up booking a day train from Aberdeen in late August as sleeper was full (aside from the Double for an eye-watering price!)

peteb

Shame they don't do standby anymore, offering that last double at a knock down price would have at least taken some revenue.......maybe offering it to seated passengers on a first come first served basis at check-in?

HST274

As you can see from the tweet here the twitter staff have still not been informed of the club cars reopening. Some shoddy communication within the company, and quite misleading for customers.

Last edited:

MrEd

As the club car/lounge car is now open, can anyone confirm what the protocol is? Do you need to book a table/slot in the evening or morning, and what the rule is regarding masks? I’m travelling on the northbound Highlander next Monday night so it would be good to know from anyone who’s been on this week.

Established Member
As the club car/lounge car is now open, can anyone confirm what the protocol is? Do you need to book a table/slot in the evening or morning, and what the rule is regarding masks? I’m travelling on the northbound Highlander next Monday night so it would be good to know from anyone who’s been on this week.
Can't help with that unfortunately as I was seated. I did notice signs on the tables that get turned round saying "this table has been sanitized for your use" and "this table has NOT been sanitized".

williamn

As you can see from the tweet here the twitter staff have still not been informed of the club cars reopening. Some shoddy communication within the company, and quite misleading for customers.
That tweet has now been replied to with a picture of the person who had enquired sitting in the lounge car!

John Bishop

The S/B Aberdeen portion has run empty to Edinburgh for the last 2 nights I’ve been told. Still staff shortages by the looks of it.

6Z09

The S/B Aberdeen portion has run empty to Edinburgh for the last 2 nights I’ve been told. Still staff shortages by the looks of it.
Staff shortage due to ongoing industrial action, overtime and rest day working ban.