• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Essexman

Established Member
I was going to use the Aberdeen sleeper in early October but chose just to go to Edinburgh as that's more reliable.
I was planning a trip to Fort William in January but don't fancy getting turned out somewhere in the middle of the night so think I'll leave that one too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Z09

Some southbound Lowlander shenanigans tonight, Departures board at Glasgow says 2340 is departing from Edinburgh!

38Cto15E

What happened to the Luxury Hotel on wheels?
Not getting involved in the politics but the CS does not show the UK in a very good light to British tourists and foreign visitors using the sleepers for their holidays/business in Scotland and London.

williamn

Just been advised that my next trip to Glasgow on Monday 29th will actually be diverted to Edinburgh. No offer of compensation.

trek

Reasonably late notice trip for me in a Classic Solo on Wednesday night from Glasgow to Euston was pretty hitch free. Noticed problems have started again now with a few Glasgow portion cancellations - to be honest would have actually been better for me to go from Edinburgh but went for the cheaper price!

Texted around 1600 to be told thought there would be no club car which didn't really matter for me on the lowlander. In the end arrived 30 minutes early, coffee given about 5 minutes away from Euston which was pretty much perfect. Berth fine, back of the door mirror a bit blemished and I still wish they'd put the top bunk away when solo (big thanks to whoever here explained how to remove the ladder though - a big help!). Also an embarrassing moment where I told an attendant my sink was blocked only to find you have to push on the plug. Awkward...

Bill57p9

Not the most successful night for CS.
Up and down Glasgow portions cancelled whilst the southbound Highlander came to a stand on the up fast between Nuneaton and Rugby just after 0635 and is still there as of 0805.

gledhill56

Not the most successful night for CS.
Up and down Glasgow portions cancelled whilst the southbound Highlander came to a stand on the up fast between Nuneaton and Rugby just after 0635 and is still there as of 0805.
There appears to be a 1Z99 showing on Traksy heading north towards it as we speak.

DiscoGaza

Trying the new CS for the first time next week - Edinburgh to London. Booked a Club berth as will be heading straight to work on arrival. It's been a long time since I done the Sleeper so looking forward to it; notwithstanding all the issues there seems to be.

I've also booked a roundtrip in December; down Wednesday night and back Thursday. Outbound is Edinburgh to London but return is London to Glasgow as a Club berth was £180 v £290 for Edinburgh. Is it possible to access the Edinburgh Lounge Car from the Glasgow portion before the spilt at Carstairs? My thoughts are that I'd do this and stay in the lounge until it arrives in Edinburgh. The alternative is to get off at Motherwell or Glasgow and take another service to Edinburgh.

John Bishop

I’ve seen some mention on other media about GBrf buying/ leasing DB 67s to assist with the sleeper program. Any truth in it?

On Moderation
I’ve seen some mention on other media about GBrf buying/ leasing DB 67s to assist with the sleeper program. Any truth in it?
The suggestion is taking over 67023/7 from Colas: nothing to do with DB unless you know different. It may well be tied in with the NR test train contract(s) where bidders have been informed of the outcome, it seems, but it isn’t public yet.

tornado

Is there any way of choosing your seat on the CS? It seems Rooms 1, 2, and 10 are very noisy vs not too bad on othe others.

pitdiver

A local bus and taxi company, Elizabeth Yule Transport, garage is at the north end of the approach road to Pitlochry station. Probably the buses you saw were moved out of their yard in to the satiation approach road to make room in their yard or garage.
Thanks for that. I assumed the worst

Berliner

You used to able to! Single seats in the seating car are ones you want.

Surely you want a double, with the aisle seats still being blocked off, there is no chance of anyone next to you and you get more space to yourself, are able to stretch out and no one bumping you as they walk past?

williamn

Trying the new CS for the first time next week - Edinburgh to London. Booked a Club berth as will be heading straight to work on arrival. It's been a long time since I done the Sleeper so looking forward to it; notwithstanding all the issues there seems to be.

I've also booked a roundtrip in December; down Wednesday night and back Thursday. Outbound is Edinburgh to London but return is London to Glasgow as a Club berth was £180 v £290 for Edinburgh. Is it possible to access the Edinburgh Lounge Car from the Glasgow portion before the spilt at Carstairs? My thoughts are that I'd do this and stay in the lounge until it arrives in Edinburgh. The alternative is to get off at Motherwell or Glasgow and take another service to Edinburgh.
Personally I'd stay on till Glasgow and get a local train, not a big deal. But then I treasure my sleep!

Berliner

You'd be breaking the rules of the ticket you purchased, but you could ask the staff and if they say no all that would mean is you then taking a local train to Edinburgh.

You shouldn't just assume you can do it and wander through as

1. The club car may be closed and therefore they may not be letting anyone in.

or

2. It may be open and you'd be taking up someone elses breakfast space, who is actually booked to Edinburgh.

Last edited:

Stathern Jc

RTT shows it as having arrived at Waverley at 0325, and cancelled beyond there because of the high winds.

What happened to the passengers?
Hope they would be allowed some sleep beyond that. After all there wouldn't be any alternative services to transfer them onto, neither because of the time of the night nor probably many options once the daytime services would normally be starting.

najaB

Veteran Member
Hope they would be allowed some sleep beyond that. After all there wouldn't be any alternative services to transfer them onto, neither because of the time of the night nor probably many options once the daytime services would normally be starting.
There wouldn't be much point in turfing people out that early as it's not like the crew would have any immediate transport options either.

Bill57p9

RTT shows it as having arrived at Waverley at 0325, and cancelled beyond there because of the high winds.

What happened to the passengers?
I assume so as both northbound and southbound Highlanders terminated in Edinburgh and remained there, northbound until around 0900, southbound 1538.
Interestingly this together with the Lowlander running both portions to Edinburgh meant that the northbound Lowlander was parked between Slateford & Haymarket for a time this morning (blocking the line) awaiting a long platform as the Highlanders filled 7/11 and 2/19.

It would probably have been better to hold the northbound Lowlander at Carstairs East Junction rather than Haymarket as it significantly delayed at least a TPE ECS move.

I guess Polmadie is pretty busy with 6 sleeper portions!

InOban

Established Member
Sunday nights Highlander cancelled throughout in both directions according to the official Facebook page. Unsurprising really as everything is still going to be in a flipping mess up here tomorrow
The line to FW is open!

Stathern Jc

Sunday nights Highlander cancelled throughout in both directions according to the official Facebook page. Unsurprising really as everything is still going to be in a flipping mess up here tomorrow
The Highland Main Line is closed today, tomorrow and Monday for engineering works; the replacement of the bridge at Moy.

The team working on that (and anything else) have my sympathy this weekend.