• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

paul1609

Established Member
I agree Easyjet to Bristol, Taxi to Bath. A lot easier even on non strike days. Bath is approx 20 miles from Bristol Airport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

otter11

I agree Easyjet to Bristol, Taxi to Bath. A lot easier even on non strike days. Bath is approx 20 miles from Bristol Airport.
Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately the sleeper was a big part of the trip for them and they were very excited to travel on it.
Therefore they have moved their booking to the Tuesday night which hopefully won’t be affected! Fingers crossed!

Essexman

Established Member
Good suggestion on the Tuesday actually, I’ll see if that works for them.
I’m booked on the sleeper from Inverness on the Wednesday. Tried to rebook for the Tuesday but the train is fully booked.

Caleb2010

Recently they’ve been full up almost nightly, I contacted customer services when I needed to change my day of travel and the very helpful operator helped me find a journey/ day that was suitable!

I live mid way between inverness and Aberdeen so am able to go to either railhead - I don’t know where you are but could that be an option?

Essexman

Established Member
It appears that CS are showing no availability for tickets (including seats) on any route for the strike affected days, so presumably they’re not selling any more tickets in expectation of the trains being cancelled.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sensible. Expect Sunday the 18th to be very busy on all services, firstly because it's Sunday and northbound from London in particular always does well and secondly because it is quite likely to be the first sleeper service for for at least 4 days

I assume the 26th of September will also be affected but as the strike is midday to midday should only affect one train rather than potentially 2 or 3?

Essexman

Established Member
CS have now announced that the Highlander is cancelled on the Wednesday, Thursday & Friday and the Lowlander on the Thursday.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Quite surprised they are even attempting to run 1A lowlander on the Friday. Perhaps they simply have too many passengers booked on it to look after otherwise and have persuaded network Rail to let them try and move these passengers as best they can. I do sincerely hope that people don't turn up at their origin points to be greeted by a replacement overnight coach

Essexman

Established Member
We travelled south from Fort William last night. Good journey.
Our booked berth was out of use and after being offered an end of coach berth and a classic berth, the excellent host eventually gave us a double bed berth.
I thought the train was fully booked. There may have been cancellations but given there are often issues with berths I wonder if CS leave one or two unbooked as back up?

Dave1954

On Moderation
I wonder if CS leave one or two unbooked as back up?
I certainly think so , just like certain hotels doted around the network they say they fully booked up but they are not just in case there problems/cancelations on the network ,

moorw003

I wonder if CS will un cancel their cancelled services now, given the strikes are off, and their services by their own admission are likely to be very busy

Caleb2010

They say on their website this:

We are aware of the RMT strikes being cancelled for next week due to the sad passing of Her Majesty The Queen. We are working with our partners to assess what services Caledonian Sleeper can operate in these circumstances. We will post updates to this page as soon as possible!

Of course, once the decision is made to cancel something it’s not always that easy to reinstate it! Despite what some may think!!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
They say on their website this:

We are aware of the RMT strikes being cancelled for next week due to the sad passing of Her Majesty The Queen. We are working with our partners to assess what services Caledonian Sleeper can operate in these circumstances. We will post updates to this page as soon as possible!

Of course, once the decision is made to cancel something it’s not always that easy to reinstate it! Despite what some may think!
Indeed, I know someone who has already made alternative arrangements who will now wish she'd stuck with Plan A

moorw003

In terms of running the trains, there's enough time operationally to go back on the decision. The issue is, 30 services/destination pairs over 3 days, almost full have been refunded and cleared. Trying to sell those out again might be impossible and logistically difficult for previous passengers too.

I don't know what CS compensation would get from NR for not being able to run on strike days, but it might be better to stick to cancelled and claim that.

railfan99

Established Member
The 30 September 2022 2115 down 'CS' from London Euston has been altered to operate via Aberdeen, arriving Inverness at 0958 hours on Saturday 1 October.

While I've been on the coastal route years ago, I don't particularly recall its scenery, so on my trip from Oz it's bonus coverage prior to a Strathspey Railway visit later on that Saturday. As long as the rail unions don't call an October strike!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As long as the rail unions don't call an October strike!

I think you’ve got lucky there. Very unlikely they will call a strike for that date now, as they’d have to announce it next week, which for obvious reasons will be difficult to do.

Essexman

Established Member
In terms of running the trains, there's enough time operationally to go back on the decision. The issue is, 30 services/destination pairs over 3 days, almost full have been refunded and cleared. Trying to sell those out again might be impossible and logistically difficult for previous passengers too.

I don't know what CS compensation would get from NR for not being able to run on strike days, but it might be better to stick to cancelled and claim that.

I was booked on Wednesday. CS refunded the booking (Flexipass voucher) and I've now had an email saying the trains are running and I can rebook.
However I'd cancelled my hotel and made alterative plans for this week.
As said above, it will probably be hard for CS to sell a lot of tickets on these trains (especially as they're not running to Fort William due to engineering work). Some might run at a loss but well done to CS for doing their best to run a service (as shown with not cancelling the Lowlander).

duesselmartin

Established Member
The 30 September 2022 2115 down 'CS' from London Euston has been altered to operate via Aberdeen, arriving Inverness at 0958 hours on Saturday 1 October.

While I've been on the coastal route years ago, I don't particularly recall its scenery, so on my trip from Oz it's bonus coverage prior to a Strathspey Railway visit later on that Saturday. As long as the rail unions don't call an October strike!
I think it is very scenic, both north and south of Aberdeen. The landscape is different but I would place it on a "must do" list for European railways.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think it is very scenic, both north and south of Aberdeen. The landscape is different but I would place it on a "must do" list for European railways.

I'll concur with that, it was December 2008 when I did Inverness to Aberdeen on a 158, so after not that far off 14 years I can't remember the scenery that well. However, I have some memory that while it's not that amazing north of Aberdeen, compared to other parts of Scotland, it's also quite nice for a fair bit of the route.

South of Aberdeen was done in the late evening, so between there and Dundee I have no idea what it's like!

cf111

Established Member
I'll concur with that, it was December 2008 when I did Inverness to Aberdeen on a 158, so after not that far off 14 years I can't remember the scenery that well. However, I have some memory that while it's not that amazing north of Aberdeen, compared to other parts of Scotland, it's also quite nice for a fair bit of the route.

South of Aberdeen was done in the late evening, so between there and Dundee I have no idea what it's like!
The line between Aberdeen and Dundee is one of my favourite journeys in the UK. Thoroughly recommend doing it through the day if you ever get the chance!

AberdeenBill

I do the East Cost route on sleeper fairly regularly to Aberdeen. The coastal views between Dundee and Arbroath are lovely as is the section between Stonehaven and Aberdeen where the line runs quite close to the cliff edge and hopefully the sun is sparkling off the North Sea.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The line between Aberdeen and Dundee is one of my favourite journeys in the UK. Thoroughly recommend doing it through the day if you ever get the chance!

Thanks for the tip! I do have some vague plans to head that way next year. I was meant to do it, amongst many other places, this year but that's had to change. You have reminded me that I need to consult the relevant Sustrans map at some point!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It is nice, though different from the Highland Mainline. Edinburgh to Inverness out one way and back the other is a lovely circuit not at all dissimilar to a lap of the Cumbrian Coast then back down the WCML.

It is a bit boring north of Aberdeen though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Inverness - Aberdeen has it's good points, i.e. around the Moray coast, but I agree with Bletchley it can be a bit boring compared to the Highland Main Line & Aberdeen -> Dundee [which I enjoy around the area where the railway runs close to the water].

When I did the sleeper detour via Aberdeen a few years ago, it stood at Huntly for an hour to allow regular service trains to pass. Thankfully the guard opened the guard-door to allow passengers some fresh-air/a short walking break [smoking break for those who smoked as well]

VC00

On the lowlander Thursday, any chance staff will let me off for quick stretch at Preston during staff changover?

Last edited:

Caleb2010

Didn’t realise crews weren’t going through now! Are they still changing at Preston??

There’s a 35 minute wait if they do change!

VC00

Didn’t realise crews weren’t going through now! Are they still changing at Preston??

There’s a 35 minute wait if they do change!
RTT has them booked for around 20 minutes and last journey I was on there was a guard change there, not sure if I'll be allowed off though

GordonT

RTT has them booked for around 20 minutes and last journey I was on there was a guard change there, not sure if I'll be allowed off though
Sounds like a scenario which will depend on the individual perspective of the particular member of staff you happen to encounter on the night.

cf111

Established Member
It is nice, though different from the Highland Mainline. Edinburgh to Inverness out one way and back the other is a lovely circuit not at all dissimilar to a lap of the Cumbrian Coast then back down the WCML.

It is a bit boring north of Aberdeen though.
Yes there's not much to write home about between Aberdeen and Inverness. Some nice views between Dyce and Inverurie which I used to like looking at when heading home from working in Aberdeen, back when one could enjoy a beer on Scotrail!