• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Established Member
Another question - is there a "dress code" for the onboard lounge for the evening/night when people are in there to have a few drinks and avoid staying in their tiny rooms. We'll be backpacking and don't particularly want to have to bring smart clothes, but don't want to lower the tone either. I imagine breakfast will be pretty casual, but the night session and dinner might be more formal?

I think you’re confusing the Caledonian Sleeper with the Orient Express. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
It's not an entirely stupid question given that it's sold as a premium train (yes, I know it's more like a Premier Inn!) and premium trains often do have dress codes.

CS doesn't, however, bar basic decency (i.e. something on your top and bottom half and a pair of shoes, trainers, flipflops or non-muddy boots of some kind). Alongside the cabins being a Premier Inn on wheels (albeit at a more Hilton like price), think of the lounge car as (overpriced) 'Spoons on wheels in those terms.
Thank you. I figured so but better safe than sorry. Once we were the only couple in denims and with backpacks in a first class carriage from Paddington on an evening peak train, and to make matters worse our reserved seats were at a table sitting opposite two very smartly suited and booted gents who were using their laptops.

E100

A surprise this morning at Newcastle. Something appeared to have happened to the highland sleeper at Morpeth overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_1662.jpeg
    IMG_1662.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 215

Southern Dvr

A surprise this morning at Newcastle. Something appeared to have happened to the highland sleeper at Morpeth overnight.
PHBT between Morpeth and Newcastle. Northbound sleeper still at Newcastle awaiting events.

E100

Oh dear that’s awful. Thanks for the clarification never the less

island

Veteran Member
RTT says the northbound lowland terminated at Newcastle and the northbound highland has gone ahead just over 2 hours late.

JModulo

RTT says the northbound lowland terminated at Newcastle and the northbound highland has gone ahead just over 2 hours late.
Currently onboard and I believe the lowlander is still continuing to Edinburgh where it will be terminated. Thats what staff are saying, anyway.

*EDIT*

Northbound now on the move 380 late, terminating at Edinburgh. Southbound Highlander terminating at Newcastle.

Last edited:

lachlan

Have the cabins gone up in price recently? I am sure they used to be ~£130 with a railcard, now they're £165. Or perhaps, it used to be a bit cheaper for a single person and they've now made it the same cost no matter whether there's one guest or two.

alistairlees

Established Member
Have the cabins gone up in price recently? I am sure they used to be ~£130 with a railcard, now they're £165. Or perhaps, it used to be a bit cheaper for a single person and they've now made it the same cost no matter whether there's one guest or two.
They vary in price depending on demand; like any other Advance ticket.

trek

Pretty sure there have been increases to all of the lower price quotas.

It used to be pretty easy to find solo cabins on the lowlanders at the £100 rate (£66 railcard). I did a few journeys at that rate and was very satisfied given what I had paid. Now I have clicked through lots of days (their terrible website and lack of a low fare calendar does not make this easy at all...) and can't find anything below £175.

lachlan

It used to be pretty easy to find solo cabins on the lowlanders at the £100 rate (£66 railcard). I did a few journeys at that rate and was very satisfied given what I had paid. Now I have clicked through lots of days (their terrible website and lack of a low fare calendar does not make this easy at all...) and can't find anything below £175.
Yes, the seats now tend to be £36.50 to Aberdeen whereas I’m sure they used to be £33

I was also thinking there used to be a solo fare that was a bit less than a cabin but now it appears to be the same cost regardless of number of travellers

jagardner1984

Actually think the easiest given the lack of options per day would be the easyJet model, where you enter the from/to and number of passengers, and the calendar then shows a “prices from” under the dates. It would direct the price conscious to the most suitable dates.

alistairlees

Established Member
Actually think the easiest given the lack of options per day would be the easyJet model, where you enter the from/to and number of passengers, and the calendar then shows a “prices from” under the dates. It would direct the price conscious to the most suitable dates.
:lol:

zwk500

Veteran Member
My lack of emoji awareness means I’m unsure if you think this an excellent or moronic idea 8-)
I think it's an excellent idea regardless. Perhaps Eurostar's presentation may be better where they give you all the trains (prices) for your given day, then have the day either side with 'prices from' above.

lachlan

Would definitely be beneficial for myself as I’ll choose what nights to travel based on when the seats or cheapest cabins are available.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
And they then book and fly by Easyjet because it's still too expensive!

jagardner1984

Value and cost aren't the same thing. For many people the higher price of the Sleeper still represents better value overall.
Amuses me the people who insist the sleeper is a worthless service, when for many - who need to be in one city* after a particular time, or in another* before a particular time, it is one of the only options (I don’t really count a night bus) - by quite some margin.

Given it is often difficult to get a berth of any kind, I am clearly not alone in that opinion.

* Key point, in said city, as opposed to, for example, Luton, which isn’t.

najaB

Veteran Member
Amuses me the people who insist the sleeper is a worthless service, when for many - who need to be in one city* after a particular time, or in another* before a particular time, it is one of the only options (I don’t really count a night bus) - by quite some margin.
Also, people who find the inconvenience of getting to/from an airport where an early/late flight is involved outweighs the additional cost of the sleeper. For example, it's a ten-minute walk to the train station for me, vs over an hour to get to Edinburgh or Glasgow airports.

Meerkat

Established Member

Given it is often difficult to get a berth of any kind, I am clearly not alone in that opinion.

* Key point, in said city, as opposed to, for example, Luton, which isn’t.
Who argues the service is worthless? Main criticism is whether its value for the Scottish taxpayer.