• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

ajrm

But, particularly when travelling south, many items will be "off" in my experience

Now I've found this thread I've moved this post here, from the new thread I started.

Having used both the Night Riviera and the Caledonian Sleeper within the past two weeks I feel in a position to compare them.

I slept slightly better in the Mark 3s than the Mark 5s. The ride seemed better - whether this is due to the suspension or Brunel's civil engineering prowess I don't know, but I woke up several times on the Scottish trip but slept until after 6 on the Riviera.
That's interesting to hear. My experience is that I've generally slept better on the Mark 5s than I did on the Mark 3s. But it's difficult to know how much of that is due to external factors (perhaps I've been more tired? perhaps I've found the perfect quantity of single malt to consume in the lounge car?).

Comparing CS Mk 3 vs Mk 5, I also think the Waverley shunt is now much smoother and therefore less likely to disrupt sleep especially northbound.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caleb2010

I’m in shock

Just boarded the Highlander going south, used the accessible toilet and - no Susan Calman announcement!

Total shock

I wonder if the contract has run out or this particular coach has had a voice software update?

fraser158

I was on the southbound highlander in a Club Room on Thursday and she did the "see it, say it, sorted" announcement after the train manager's announcement.

D6130

Established Member
Yesterday evening I tried to book on-line a Club Single room on the Northbound Highlander - my first ever trip on the CS - using a first class All Line Rover. However, when I got to the 'room supplement only' stage, the website crashed. I phoned the CS call centre at 09 00 this morning and the very pleasant and helpful young lady 'customer ambassador ' had exactly the same problem to start with but, after going away for a short time to consult a senior colleague, she managed to book me a room from Euston to Fort William for tomorrow night. (Shame it will be a London crew, but it was the only night with suitable availability this week). Shortly afterwards my confirmation email arrived, instructing me to download my ticket using 'this link'. Unfortunately, despite all the details of the journey being clearly shown, I can't find any working link in the email to download! Any ideas anyone?

....and while we're on the subject, could someone please remind me how to move the top bunk ladder so that somebody of my advanced age can get in and out of bed quickly and comfortably? I seem to remember reading about it in this thread a year or two back, but haven't got the time to search through hundreds of posts.

Thanks in advance on both counts.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Yesterday evening I tried to book on-line a Club Single room on the Northbound Highlander - my first ever trip on the CS - using a first class All Line Rover. However, when I got to the 'room supplement only' stage, the website crashed. I phoned the CS call centre at 09 00 this morning and the very pleasant and helpful young lady 'customer ambassador ' had exactly the same problem to start with but, after going away for a short time to consult a senior colleague, she managed to book me a room from Euston to Fort William for tomorrow night. (Shame it will be a London crew, but it was the only night with suitable availability this week). Shortly afterwards my confirmation email arrived, instructing me to download my ticket using 'this link'. Unfortunately, despite all the details of the journey being clearly shown, I can't find any working link in the email to download! Any ideas anyone?

....and while we're on the subject, could someone please remind me how to move the top bunk ladder so that somebody of my advanced age can get in and out of bed quickly and comfortably? I seem to remember reading about it in this thread a year or two back, but haven't got that time to search through hundreds of posts.

If you bring your all line rover and told the person your name over the phone, you shouldn't need your ticket, you can just give the staff member on the platform your name, they should have you on their list and be able to tell you which room is yours and won't need any downloaded ticket. If you can bring a copy of the email you mention that won't hurt

D6130

Established Member
If you bring your all line rover and told the person your name over the phone, you shouldn't need your ticket, you can just give the staff member on the platform your name, they should have you on their list and be able to tell you which room is yours and won't need any downloaded ticket. If you can bring a copy of the email you mention that won't hurt
Great! Thanks.

JamieL

....and while we're on the subject, could someone please remind me how to move the top bunk ladder so that somebody of my advanced age can get in and out of bed quickly and comfortably? I seem to remember reading about it in this thread a year or two back, but haven't got the time to search through hundreds of posts.

The download link is under the signature block of Stacey Fleming, Guest Experience Director.

It might not be obvious if you haven't enable your email client to download pictures.

alistairlees

Established Member

Can you DM me with details please and we'll look

The download link is under the signature block of Stacey Fleming, Guest Experience Director.

It might not be obvious if you haven't enable your email client to download pictures.
Thanks. There's no picture in that block but perhaps the underlined link was not working? The text is this:

Your eTickets are ready to download
Please download your tickets before you travel. You can download them as many times as you want — they will always be available from this link.​

(can't really paste what it actually looks like!)

Last edited:

Established Member
In the seats to Fort William tomorrow. Had to book a seat on the C side as there was nothing left on the A side. Happened to check the next day and saw 1A was free so messaged the twitter team for a change. Was told my ticket wouldn't be, but assured the passenger list would have me in 1A. Presumably it'll be the same for you @D6130

D6130

Established Member
In the seats to Fort William tomorrow. Had to book a seat on the C side as there was nothing left on the A side. Happened to check the next day and saw 1A was free so messaged the twitter team for a change. Was told my ticket wouldn't be, but assured the passenger list would have me in 1A. Presumably it'll be the same for you @D6130
I'm in a Club Solo cabin....Coach D, Room 1 (right over the bogie I would assume!).

alistairlees

Established Member
OK folks! Success! Thanks very much for your help.... especially @alistairlees.

....and now to the small matter of stowing away the obstructive ladder?
That's no problem. I'm still intrigued to understand why your room could not initially be booked. If you have a moment could you DM me as we'd like to investigate? Thanks

Established Member
Posting mainly for @D6130 , had notification to say our arrival into Fort William has been revised to 11:00 due to speed restrictions being imposed.

If that does indeed happen, does delay repay apply, or does it count as a "short notice change to the timetable"?

D6130

Established Member
Posting mainly for @D6130 , had notification to say our arrival into Fort William has been revised to 11:00 due to speed restrictions being imposed.

If that does indeed happen, does delay repay apply, or does it count as a "short notice change to the timetable"?
Yes, thanks....I received that message too. Fingers crossed that we arrive in time for me to catch the 11 40 back to Glasgow. Does delay repay apply to passengers holding rover tickets?

island

Veteran Member

In principle, DelayRepay applies against “the published timetable of the day”, which means the schedule that appears on National Rail Enquiries at 22:00 the day before travel.
Yes, thanks....I received that message too. Fingers crossed that we arrive in time for me to catch the 11 40 back to Glasgow. Does delay repay apply to passengers holding rover tickets?
Yes, although the calculation of how much is due can be somewhat of a lottery.

Established Member
At least you can bail anywhere en route if needs be.

I was considering trying to catch the Jacobite to Mallaig. Not now! I've got a Highland Rover and no plans, so as long as I reach Mallaig at some point I don't care what happens.

In response to comments about lights being dimmed, all that is lit in the seated coach of 1S25 at the moment is the ceiling spotlights. It's actually rather nice! This with the Mk2 seats would be absolute heaven.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member

I was considering trying to catch the Jacobite to Mallaig. Not now! I've got a Highland Rover and no plans, so as long as I reach Mallaig at some point I don't care what happens.

In response to comments about lights being dimmed, all that is lit in the seated coach of 1S25 at the moment is the ceiling spotlights. It's actually rather nice! This with the Mk2 seats would be absolute heaven.
Whereas here in the Club Car the ceiling spotlights are extinguished and the over-window strip lights are lit. I've just enjoyed an excellent dinner in the company of a very pleasant Canadian couple and now chilling with a Bunnahabhain 12 year-old. The Trent Valley has reopened following this afternoon's tree fall incident, so we're going booked route....with 92 033 doing the business very efficiently at the sharp end.r

Whereas here in the Club Car the ceiling spotlights are extinguished and the over-window strip lights are lit. I've just enjoyed an excellent dinner in the company of a very pleasant Canadian couple and now chilling with a Bunnahabhain 12 year-old. The Trent Valley has reopened following this afternoon's tree fall incident, so we're going booked route....with 92 033 doing the business very efficiently at the sharp end.

EDIT: Apologies....the lively ride of the Club Car made me post that message twice!

alistairlees

Established Member
Whereas here in the Club Car the ceiling spotlights are extinguished and the over-window strip lights are lit. I've just enjoyed an excellent dinner in the company of a very pleasant Canadian couple and now chilling with a Bunnahabhain 12 year-old. The Trent Valley has reopened following this afternoon's tree fall incident, so we're going booked route....with 92 033 doing the business very efficiently at the sharp end.
A very good choice. What was for dinner?

cb a1

On the Highlander to London tonight.
Was expecting to arrive at 0800, but Real Time Trains WTT now showing 0900.
If we arrive after 0830, can I claim delay repay? Arriving an hour later than I had expected when booking isn't the end of the world (otherwise I'd have travelled the evening before and used a hotel), but is nonetheless going to involve some inconvenience as I can't get everything planned done.

D6130

Established Member
A very good choice. What was for dinner?
Being a veggie, I had hoped to try the mushroom and potato hash starter, but it would appear that they only had about two portions - both of which had already been accounted for by the time the waiter reached me - so I had the Leek, Pea and Watercress soup instead; followed by the Avocado, artichoke, beetroot and hummus salad, washed down with a Spanish Tempranillo red wine and finished with the red berry cheesecake....and then the aforementioned Bunnahabhain 12 year-old single malt whisky. Came to £50 exactly.

Established Member
Whereas here in the Club Car the ceiling spotlights are extinguished and the over-window strip lights are lit. I've just enjoyed an excellent dinner in the company of a very pleasant Canadian couple and now chilling with a Bunnahabhain 12 year-old. The Trent Valley has reopened following this afternoon's tree fall incident, so we're going booked route....with 92 033 doing the business very efficiently at the sharp end.r

EDIT: Apologies....the lively ride of the Club Car made me post that message twice!
Oh rub it in!

Might not last... been a total loss of signalling between Oxenholme and Lancaster.

Avanti's 20:06 Glasgow-Crewe would normally have the TM and catering staff pass on here. They're still at Carlisle!

And that felt like a rather sudden stop.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On the Highlander to London tonight.
Was expecting to arrive at 0800, but Real Time Trains WTT now showing 0900.
If we arrive after 0830, can I claim delay repay? Arriving an hour later than I had expected when booking isn't the end of the world (otherwise I'd have travelled the evening before and used a hotel), but is nonetheless going to involve some inconvenience as I can't get everything planned done.

I think it's just a data feed error; it's unlikely to take 76 minutes from Camden to Euston.

If it really is that late ( which I fear it might be and the intermediate points simply haven't updated yet as the up Fort William is currently 76 late at Crainlairch ) then yes, delay repay will apply.

1695165797001.png

D6130

Established Member
Well folks.....here we are still sitting at Preston on 1S25 nearly two hours after we should have departed. The Southbound train - 1M16 - hasn't left Edinburgh as I type. It's gonna be a long night, I fear. At least, if we do make it to the Fort, we'll see the whole West Highland line in daylight. Hope we get there before the last bus to Inverness at 17 30. Roll on delay repay!

EDIT at 02 53: 9M62, 18 52 from Edinburgh, has just arrived at Preston +336 and is cancelled forward to Euston. Hopefully our relief crew will have been on board and we shall be away shortly.

FURTHER EDIT: 1S25 on the move from Preston again at 03 36 (+161). Southbound sleeper waiting outside the station as we pulled out.

ANOTHER EDIT at 04 50: 'The Journey of a Night-time' is turning into 'The Journey of a Nightmare' and taking a lifetime! We've been sitting in platform 3 at Lancaster now since 04 01. There must be some signalling available at Carnforth - although possibly hand signalling - as the late - running Grangemouth-Daventry intermodal went through on the Up Main about half-an-hour ago. The Down Lowlander is being held behind us at Preston. The wind and rain are getting up again. At this rate I can see the Highlander being terminated at Edinburgh, with sleeper passengers forward by ScotRail services.

Last edited:

Established Member
Well folks.....here we are still sitting at Preston on 1S25 nearly two hours after we should have departed. The Southbound train - 1M16 - hasn't left Edinburgh as I type. It's gonna be a long night, I fear. At least, if we do make it to the Fort, we'll see the whole West Highland line in daylight. Hope we get there before the last bus to Inverness at 17 30. Roll on delay repay!

EDIT at 02 53: 9M62, 18 52 from Edinburgh, has just arrived at Preston +336 and is cancelled forward to Euston. Hopefully our relief crew will have been on board and we shall be away shortly.

FURTHER EDIT: 1S25 on the move from Preston again at 03 36 (+161). Southbound sleeper waiting outside the station as we pulled out.

ANOTHER EDIT at 04 50: 'The Journey of a Night-time' is turning into 'The Journey of a Nightmare' and taking a lifetime! We've been sitting in platform 3 at Lancaster now since 04 01. There must be some signalling available at Carnforth - although possibly hand signalling - as the late - running Grangemouth-Daventry intermodal went through on the Up Main about half-an-hour ago. The Down Lowlander is being held behind us at Preston. The wind and rain are getting up again. At this rate I can see the Highlander being terminated at Edinburgh, with sleeper passengers forward by ScotRail services.
I've had a text saying we're terminating Edinburgh, certainly for the Aberdeen/Fort William bit.

Fell asleep at Preston, expected to wake up a bit further North than Lancaster!

Iskra

Established Member
I assume this disruption is weather related, with weather warnings currently issued in Cumbria?

I’m supposed to be heading over the Settle and Carlisle today…

At least you should get your money back :)

D6130

Established Member
On the move again!

Quite some delay.
Yep.....departed Lancaster 05 56 (+282). Now just rattled through Carnforth, so the signalling must be working again. Of course none of this is Caledonian Sleeper's fault.... it's all down to the tail end of Hurricane Daniel.

D1511

What a palaver!
It all seemed to be going well when I saw you gliding through MKC last night bang on time behind 92033!
It has been pretty windy though......and I have a WCML journey coming up this afternoon o_O

D6130

Established Member
I've just been informed by the Train Manager that there are currently no trains running in and out of Edinburgh due to a major signalling failure there too. CS are trying to arrange coaches for onward destinations when the train terminates at Edinburgh. He hopes to have more information in an hour or so.

EDIT: We've just passed through Carlisle without making the booked stop at 07 34. (+316).

Last edited: