• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred26

I'm travelling this line tomorrow, almost end to end. I'm going from Birmingham to Penychain, three stops from the end. Simple question; I've heard the line is particularly scenic. When does it get interesting and what will I be looking at?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred26

I'm going one way only. I shall sit on the left. Am I right in thinking that there service splits at Dovey Junction? Is it the front unit which continues to Aberystwyth and so there rear to Penychain?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Im not sure but i would think aber is rear 2 as it reverses at shrewsbury.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm going one way only. I shall sit on the left. Am I right in thinking that there service splits at Dovey Junction? Is it the front unit which continues to Aberystwyth and so there rear to Penychain?

Train divides at Machynlleth (both portions call at Dovey Jn).
If you sit on the left you'll miss the large nest sitting on top of a telegraph pole just before Dovey Jn. It's got cameras pointing at it - must be an important bird but not sure what it is!

Shift to the right side as you cross the estuaries at Barmouth and Porthmadog to get the best views upstream (and of Snowdon/Cader Idris if it's a good day).

Fred26

If you sit on the left you'll miss the large nest sitting on top of a telegraph pole just before Dovey Jn. It's got cameras pointing at it - must be an important bird but not sure what it is!

Shift to the right side as you cross the estuaries at Barmouth and Porthmadog to get the best views upstream (and of Snowdon/Cader Idris if it's a good day).

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

junglejames

Established Member
I'm travelling this line tomorrow, almost end to end. I'm going from Birmingham to Penychain, three stops from the end. Simple question; I've heard the line is particularly scenic. When does it get interesting and what will I be looking at?

Off on holiday?
Enjoy if so. Its a nice spot for a holiday.
Cant really add any extra to what has already been said. If you are staying around that area though, then try and get in a trip on the Ffestiniog.

Fred26

Yes, I am. My first proper holiday for a decade or more. It may be a Haven site now (there's nothing else at Penychain), but I can't wait. I'm told the area is beautiful and the beaches equally so. I want to see it all.

tirphil

Birds in question are ospreys. They have been known to sit on the fencing at the end of the platform at the junction before now!
I would sit on the right of the train until you have passed through Tonfannau. You get to see some fine mountainscapes by Tywyn and the coast doesn't really come into its own until after then. Well that my thoughts anyway. Have a good holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.