• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge-London Terminals Off-peak return restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

XmaX

I am trying to understand the restrictions on this particular ticket. Outward travel is pretty clear, but return gets a little fuzzy. It says that the ticket is not valid on services from London Kings Cross after 16:28 until 19:01. It also mentions further restrictions on travelling with GA from Liverpool Street, but that doesn't interest me here. However, it does not mention any restrictions on travelling from other London Terminals - ie. St. Pancras or Moorgate. There is also an easement, saying that
Travel is permitted on services from London Kings Cross to Ely, Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington, Kings Lynn, March, Lakenheath, Newmarket, Dullingham and Shippea Hill between 16:29 and 19:00.
Am I therefore right in thinking that the only Thameslink/Great Northern return services I can't travel on in the afternoon are the ones strictly between Kings Cross and Cambridge? In other words, if it continues past Cambridge to at least Ely, then it's permitted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silverdale

Am I therefore right in thinking that the only Thameslink/Great Northern return services I can't travel on in the afternoon are the ones strictly between Kings Cross and Cambridge? In other words, if it continues past Cambridge to at least Ely, then it's permitted?

It could be worded better, but my reading of that kind of restriction has always been that it is only the travel from Kings Cross to those stations which is permitted, rather than all travel on services from Kings Cross which directly serve those stations.

Are there even any services from Kings Cross which serve March, Dullingham, etc, directly?

furlong

Established Member
Great catch - I missed that ambiguity!
The normal interpretation is only if you are travelling to the listed stations, and that is because the same text is used for a wide range of tickets so there are often parts of it that are irrelevant to a specific journey.

But brfares is not definitive and you must check nationalrail, which doesn't seem to mention this.

XmaX

Great catch - I missed that ambiguity!
The normal interpretation is only if you are travelling to the listed stations, and that is because the same text is used for a wide range of tickets so there are often parts of it that are irrelevant to a specific journey.
Interesting. So, this would still mean that with an off-peak day return between Ely and London Terminals (which costs £20.60 with a railcard), I can travel short to Cambridge at any time in the afternoon for significantly less than an anytime day return from Cambridge (£27.65). Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.