• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge North: Cambridge's new station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnuk123

Established Member
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/New...ridge-called/story-26156964-detail/story.html

Cambridge's new train station should be called 'Cambridge North', according to councillors.
That is the recommendation to be put forward by Cambridgeshire County Council to Network Rail after a vote by councillors on Tuesday.

Cllr Michael Rouse was the only member of the council's economy and environment committee to push for the Prof Hawking name, saying: "Liverpool called its airport John Lennon, so why not call our station Stephen Hawking?"

Former Cambridge mayor Cllr John Hipkin added: "The difficulty of naming it after Stephen Hawking is that Cambridge might be seen as something of a black hole."

I think Cambridge North is a very sensible name, calling it after Stephen Hawking is just ridiculous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCountry

A lot of previous suggestions have been for 'Cambridge Science Park', which makes a fair bit of sense given the location.
'North' is okay, but seems a bit bland really.

Agreed that 'Stephen Hawking' makes no sense whatsoever.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Is this new station on the main line North of the existing Station on the way to Ely etc?

Will the present station still remain open or will all services only use the new station?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't see what's wrong with naming a station after a local worthy.

They might also consider "Cambridge Floyd" as I believe popular beat combo Pink Floyd come from those parts.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Is this new station on the main line North of the existing Station on the way to Ely etc.

Will the present station still remain open or will all services only use the new station?

Yes it is on that line, and the main Cambridge station will remain open, this is a new station to serve the north of the city.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I prefer the station to be called Chesterton as it is located in the Chesterton area of Cambridge.

The location is about 2 miles north of the present station on the site of the former Chesterton Sidings of which a few tracks are still in use.!
It is also at the site of the junction of the long closed St. Ives branch. The guided bus service which now uses most of the former St. Ives line is being extended along another part of the old trackbed to serve the new station.
The station will serve the northern suburbs of the city and presume served by Kings Cross-Ely-Kings Lynn plus Cambridge- Norwich and Cambridge-Peterborough and west services?

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Surely it's better to have a station name that makes some sort of geographical sense? Leave the names of local worthies for airports!

Johnuk123

Established Member
Surely it's better to have a station name that makes some sort of geographical sense? Leave the names of local worthies for airports!

A few years ago it was suggested that Cambridge airport be called Olivia Newton-John airport although she left the place when she was 5.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I do like this suggestion (from the comments attached to the article) ....

"I still think something like Che Guevara Station would've been far more 'Cambridge'."

They could always name it the "Blunt / Burgess / MacLean / Philby Station" after the Cambridge Spy Ring of the 1940's and 1950's?!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The Hawking proposal reminds me of what the Irish Republic did back in the 1960s, suffixing stations with the surnames of the Easter Rising cohort. I can understand why they did it, but it still strikes me as quite bizarre...

THC

The Hawking proposal reminds me of what the Irish Republic did back in the 1960s, suffixing stations with the surnames of the Easter Rising cohort. I can understand why they did it, but it still strikes me as quite bizarre...

The renamings took place to commemorate fifty years since the proclamation of the Republic in 1916. Nothing bizarre about it. Apart from Connolly, Heuston and Pearse in Dublin, and possibly Kent in Cork, the other renamings have largely fallen out of common usage.

THC

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Let's name all airports after local celebrities! It will add a bit of colour and excitement for travellers!

With reference to Swansea's recently departed and much admired homeless gentleman, I'm tempted to ask for the lamentable Swansea Airport to be renamed 'Tea Cosy Pete Airport' but I think that would be more of an insult to the man than an honour.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised that Llanelli station hasn't been renamed as 'Ray Gravell' given the love for the man around these parts.

stut

Established Member
Renaming Finsbury Park as Abu Hamza Junction could make for a nice little hook.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Back to the original topic, is North too bland or is it a better description than the Science Park one? Or would Chesterton be best?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I always find plain geographical suffixes to be a bit bland. I prefer the Victoria's, Waterloo's, Piccaddilly's and Exchange's of this world.

Tobbes

Established Member
Cambridge Science Park always seemed to me to be the best name, as people from all over the world come and go to the Science Park. Let's make the names of the station as easy as possible.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The renamings took place to commemorate fifty years since the proclamation of the Republic in 1916. Nothing bizarre about it. Apart from Connolly, Heuston and Pearse in Dublin, and possibly Kent in Cork, the other renamings have largely fallen out of common usage.

THC

Indeed, I am aware of why it happened and realise that to a lot of people (especially back then when some of them would have remembered the original events) it means a lot, however I always found the concept of doing it to railway stations bizarre, I am not aware of anywhere else in the world that has done such a thing and it's not something you come across everyday. And yes the consistency does seem hit and miss - it's been over 18 months since I did my Irish rail rover but I remember not even a mention of the suffixes at some stations but the likes of Cork on sings was referred to as Kent Station, Cork and Galway IIRC was just Ceannt.

AE

Cambridge Science Park always seemed to me to be the best name, as people from all over the world come and go to the Science Park. Let's make the names of the station as easy as possible.

I'm pretty sure that the people who visit Cambridge Science Park don't really need an easy name. Let's credit them with some intelligence.

I would have thought that they will be able to associate Cambridge North with Cambridge Science Park easily enough.

dk1

Veteran Member
Cambridge North for The Science Park

Now that sounds the most sensible option to me. Talking of sensible options, that then leads on to the next & much needed...

Cambridge South for Addenbrooks Hospital

Tobbes

Established Member
Cambridge North for The Science Park

Now that sounds the most sensible option to me. Talking of sensible options, that then leads on to the next & much needed...

Cambridge South for Addenbrooks Hospital

Happy with both - especially the second idea!

dk1

Veteran Member
How about Cambridge white elephant?

Have any operators agreed to call there yet?

Of course they have. there will be calls on the Lynns, Norwich as well as an extension of a WA plus GN stopper each hour. XC are talking too. To be honest I don't think anything in Cambridge could ever become a white elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.