• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge Station Advertising Screen in the Middle of Platform 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspahh

Established Member
Cambridge Station has an advertising screen in the middle of platform 4. It has all the traffic to get from four platforms to the exit. Who thought this was a good idea?

Photograph of advertising screen on platform 4 Cambridge station, 21-Nov-2023, taking a quarter of the width of the platform behind the yellow line

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Cambridge Station has an advertising screen in the middle of platform 4. It has all the traffic to get from four platforms to the exit. Who thought this was a good idea?
The same people responsible for the signs and advertising at Euston station. Convenience of passengers is subsidiary to making money.

The exile

Established Member
Or the retail outlets in the inadequate subway at Temple Meads where the queues stretch out either across the subway or the steps to the platforms. Not helped by the tendency of queues to self-distance. Unfortunately not by a full 2 metres - which would make them less of an obstruction!

rower40

Mobile phones got smaller and smaller through the 1990s and 2000s, but appear to be getting bigger again now. Hasn't someone just left theirs behind?

dk1

Veteran Member
We get a bright view of it driving trains in & through platforms 1+4 too. Been there a good while now I think.

Brings in good advertising revenue no doubt.

mcmad

Given there is already a pillar/support behind it and it's maybe a sixth of the width behind the yellow line it seems more complaining for complainings sake tbh

lachlan

Or the retail outlets in the inadequate subway at Temple Meads where the queues stretch out either across the subway or the steps to the platforms. Not helped by the tendency of queues to self-distance. Unfortunately not by a full 2 metres - which would make them less of an obstruction!
I tend to find at Bristol it's the stairs and gates that cause more hold ups rather than the subway - a bridge adjacent to the peak hours entrance may help with that. Plus the pasties are nice :D

... Another thing about Cambridge station. Why just one foot bridge to platforms 7 & 8, it's utterly useless when a long train empties.

Magdalia

Established Member
... Another thing about Cambridge station. Why just one foot bridge to platforms 7 & 8, it's utterly useless when a long train empties.
There is no footbridge at the south end of Cambridge station because there is nowhere to put the stairs/lift on the platforms 1-3 side.

Space for the stairs/lift at the north end was created by truncating platform 5, but it isn't possible to do that on platform 2 because it needs to take 8 car trains.

dk1

Veteran Member

It was the only space to build one when platforms 7 & 8 were constructed which then made platform 5 shorter. You couldn’t get away with chopping out part of platform 2. Only additional access you’ll ever get is by building the much talked about station entrance on the other side of the sidings and extending that footbridge to it.

The exile

Established Member
I tend to find at Bristol it's the stairs and gates that cause more hold ups rather than the subway - a bridge adjacent to the peak hours entrance may help with that. Plus the pasties are nice :D
Agreed on the stairs and gates. Pasty shop queue has never caused me a problem (and the smell is certainly tantalising) - it’s the one opposite (Smiths?) that has the wayward queues at times.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not really. We only focus on the signals midway along the platform that are not that close to cause issues.
Interesting. There was another thread recently about large poppies mounted on a station's platform canopy pillars that were removed as they were thought to be likely to cause confusion to drivers. Meanwhile here is a huge illuminated screen in direct line of sight for drivers and there's no problem...

Given there is already a pillar/support behind it and it's maybe a sixth of the width behind the yellow line it seems more complaining for complainings sake tbh
I strongly disgree - it's yet another obstacle to smooth passenger flow and lines of sight. The railway is becoming ever more cluttered by this sort of stuff and it all adds, little by little, to a less passenger-friendly environment. It's the rail equivalent of the ever-increasing number of A boards along shopping streets adding to clutter, congestion and danger for partially-sighted and blind people.

dk1

Veteran Member
Interesting. There was another thread recently about large poppies mounted on a station's platform canopy pillars that were removed as they were thought to be likely to cause confusion to drivers. Meanwhile here is a huge illuminated screen in direct line of sight for drivers and there's no problem...

As a driver myself I thought that poppy on the platform drama was ridiculous & over the top too. Wouldn’t bother or confuse me in the slightest. We have them on one of my routes too.

MikeWM

Established Member

It is certainly a nuisance and does impede moving around the station at exactly the busiest part of the platform. Along with the big new and incredibly ugly yellow barrier opposite the entrance to the platforms, they seem determined to make using the station less pleasant for some reason.

I'm not calling for it to be increased, but the minimum connection time at Cambridge still being 5 minutes is totally divorced from reality now. Just about fine when it had only one platform face (eg. even back of platform 3 to a departure from platform 6 could be done in 5 minutes, if a bit tight). But now, while it may still work for some connections, there are some the average person couldn't do in 5 minutes, eg. London end of 7/8 to a departure off 2 or 3, especially if the bridge is busy and now there is this new bottleneck too.

Status
Not open for further replies.