• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge University - photo archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
University of Cambridge Library has released 1500 aerial photographs of Britain in their online photo archive.
https://www.cam.ac.uk/aerialphotography

Including this fascinating photograph of Cambridge station in 1959. It shows Station Road and the area now occupied by the Cambridge University Press surrounded by sidings. In the distance the Bedford line can be seen diverging from the London lines.

ph-geography-xt-00096-000-00001reduced-1500x1585.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
I used to live there in the centre right of the photo too. I never knew there had been so many railways around there

Lucan

Established Member
Note the single long through platform with the scissor crossover between the up and down lines opposite the main station building.

I liked, in Bertrand Russell's autobiography, that when he stayed for a few days in Trinity College for his entrance exam and interview, he did not have the nerve to ask where the college toilets were. So every time he needed to, he would walk to the station and back, buying a platform ticket to use the ones there. It is some distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.