• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camden Highline - planning application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon10

The proposers of the Camden Highline have submitted a planning application to Camden Council (2022/2019/P).

They seem to completely ignore the May 2021 "London Rail Freight Strategy" document, published by Network Rail, Transport for London and the rail freight industry.

That mentions:

CAMDEN ROAD PLATFORM 3
This proposal would reinstate a third track and platform on the northern side of Camden Road station, utilising part of the former 4-track formation through the station.
The additional capacity provided would facilitate much greater flexibility in pathing options for trains on this busy central section of the NLL, opening up new options for future service provision and bolstering performance resilience. Reinstatement of a third platform would enable platform 2 to be used as a central turnback, with platform 3 becoming the eastbound line for through London Overground services and the majority of freight. Transport for London modelling suggests that the eastern end of the NLL, from Canonbury to Stratford, will see some of the strongest long-term demand growth on the Overground network. A turnback platform will allow this to be addressed with peak capacity boosting Stratford-Camden Road services and there would also be the option to operate these through the off-peak, which could offer a means of providing additional passenger capacity where it is most needed. The availability of an additional platform would also aid performance recovery during perturbation on the orbital routes.

Does this make the Highline proposal unlikely now? Should it just be up to Camden Council?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
I’m surprised the highline made it this far without realising that a busy cross-London mixed use railway might plan to reinstate the additional track(s)…

SynthD

An earlier plan said the path would be around for about 30-40 years before handing the space back to NR, IIRC.

A smaller path alongside a reinstated third line would be a tight space, with the curves, beds and benches that seem to be required. Barnes Bridge has a similar issue.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m surprised the highline made it this far without realising that a busy cross-London mixed use railway might plan to reinstate the additional track(s)…
It’s not exactly a new idea to have a central turnback P2 by adding P3, it’s been in the public domain ever since they started re-developing the NLL timetable in about 2010. It was always expected they would eventually want to run Stratford to Camden shuttles, but what was surprising was how many trains they’ve been able to run all the way through without P3.

D365

Veteran Member
It’s not exactly a new idea to have a central turnback P2 by adding P3, it’s been in the public domain ever since they started re-developing the NLL timetable in about 2010. It was always expected they would eventually want to run Stratford to Camden shuttles, but what was surprising was how many trains they’ve been able to run all the way through without P3.
exactly my point. How did the highline make it this far into planning.

There was an interesting program which talked about the Camden highline. It was on BBC World Service. Tuesday 02nd August at 04.32 and titled "In the studio" .
Endless stream of words which have no real meaning. It seems that this firm have done this kind of thing abroad, especially in the USA.. No mention at all of Network Rail, and whether they had any agreement with them.

Gloster

Established Member
I would be a bit reluctant to have faith in an organisation that gives its address as ‘Top Container’.

Davester50

Seems to be a bandwaggoning thing, but have they bought the land, or are they asking for planning permission for something they don't actually own?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Seems to be a bandwaggoning thing, but have they bought the land, or are they asking for planning permission for something they don't actually own?
According to their website: https://www.camdenhighline.com/our-route
  • A Rail Industry Consultation, performed by Network Rail, confirming that the space will not be needed in the near future. The Highline has passed Network Rail’s business and technical clearance process, and discussions are underway for a 25-year lease.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Any other citations? ;)
Given how optimistic the rest of the proposal is, any admission of things still being underway is probably quite reliable!

I suspect this planning application is primarily intended to get publicity. Doubtless there will be uproar on both sides about a new green space, modification to the bridges, etc.

Jon10

You can read readers' letters over several years on the website "Camden New Journal". Search for "Highline".

You can do something about it:

Feel free to put your comments on the council planning website.

Search for "Camden Planning Search", then enter 2022/2019/P. (You have to click on column 1 to get to the next level down, which is not immediately obvious.) You have to give your address but it can be anywhere.

AndrewP

Anyone can apply for planning permission for any land - they just have to inform the owners.

The big question is why would you do this as normally it would increase the value of the land you want to buy if you are a developer but in this case I imagine its so that they won't pursue the idea further if they have no chance of getting planning permission (the design costs for a scheme such as this could be high)

rower40

I would be a bit reluctant to have faith in an organisation that gives its address as ‘Top Container’.
Indeed. What would happen to their address if someone puts another container on top?

Lucan

Established Member
FWIW, Jago Hazzard has just done a YouTube episode on Camden Road. He sounds enthusiastic about the Highline thing, which is disappointing for a rail enthusiast.

Taunton

Established Member
They can get all the planning permissions they want. But if NR won't sell them the land, they go nowhere.

Jon10

You can read readers' letters over several years on the website "Camden New Journal". Search for "Highline".

Techniquest

Veteran Member
FWIW, Jago Hazzard has just done a YouTube episode on Camden Road. He sounds enthusiastic about the Highline thing, which is disappointing for a rail enthusiast.

I don't think he came across too enthusiastically, to be fair though I watched the video late at night a few days back so I might be remembering it wrongly. My memory tells me that he went for a positive view on it, while also trying to make the case for NR's plans known. I sure didn't know of either the proposed railway changes or the Highline until he mentioned it, so I was glad to hear of the proposal.

I haven't looked into it, it's been a busy week, but I like the idea if it's creating more green space in London and enabling more active travel options. Whether or not someone thinks that's a good thing is up to them, but I like it. I am a bit biased though, given the majority of my free time is spent on being active and not on trains these days!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suppose in the unlikely event it actually happens, with an agreed life of so many years, it might stop the highly repetitive annual discussion of proposals such as four tracking the NLL, and diverting the DC via Primrose Hill. Or maybe not… :D

D365

Veteran Member
I suppose in the unlikely event it actually happens, with an agreed life of so many years, it might stop the highly repetitive annual discussion of proposals such as four tracking the NLL, and diverting the DC via Primrose Hill. Or maybe not… :D
Maybe it’ll lend itself to a combined solution for restoring the Monsal Head line!

Status
Not open for further replies.