• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can 1st Class be made Standard by train staff when there is overcrowding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al78

Established Member
I remember when travelling London to Manchester on the weekend there used to be the option of a 1st upgrade for a modest price (about £15 IIRC), which I used once when standard was rammed full. Could a train manager offer something like that in the case of an exceptionally busy service where the overcrowding has been caused by an anomaly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fkofilee

Yes it can - I have experience of TPE and Southern / Thameslink doing this on a number of occasions during my journeys etc.

JN114

Established Member
Likewise, I would inform control it's been done but I wouldn't ask for their consent.

It’s not for control to give consent in my control experience.

The traincrew are the ones on the ground - if they need to declassify the train then they can tell us and we’ll record it.

But I’m certainly not going to tell a guard 150 miles away that my judgement is better than theirs.

Bosch91

Personally wouldn’t have an issue with it, so long as it came in the form of a refund for the paying 1st passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.