• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can disabled drivers/passengers park in parent and child parking bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

Can blue badge holders park in parent and child bays if all the disabled spaces are full. I was wondering about this as some disabled people relay heavily on the extra space provided by disabled bays sometimes even having to turn and go home if they are no spaces available.

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding this subject?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

I'm just intrigued as to where on earth you go where all the disabled spaces are full?

In most of the car parks I seem to visit, it is more common for the disabled spaces to be practically empty with the normal (and parent & child) spaces full to bursting.

MattA7

And in private car parks you don't need a blue badge to park in a disabled space.

Legally speaking that is probably true however most private car parks require a blue badge as part of their terms and conditions (although I think in Scotland the law extends to private car parks that the public have access to)

I'm just intrigued as to where on earth you go where all the disabled spaces are full?

In most of the car parks I seem to visit, it is more common for the disabled spaces to be practically empty with the normal (and parent & child) spaces full to bursting.

My local Asda supermarket usually has most/all of the disabled spaces full however it is a small seaside town where most residents are elderly which could explain why.

Vespa

Established Member

Usually those spaces are taken up by big Chelsea tractors driven by able bodies people because they don't want their motor dinged while also being able to park next to the entrance never mind what plebs think of it.

Disabled parking spaces rules are not enforced in supermarket car parks, that's why it's abused so frequently.

Lucan

Established Member
Usually those spaces are taken up by big Chelsea tractors driven by able bodies people because they don't want their motor dinged while also being able to park next to the entrance
If you don't want your car dinged, next to the entrance is not a good choice - lots of people want to park next to you and lots of other people are scraping past with trollies. I always park my "Chesea tractor" at the furthest part of the supermarket car park for this reason, where the adjacent slots are usually empty and I can get the shopping trolly up alongside, and get my door open wide enough to get in and out.
Chelsea tractors should not get all the blame. The really selfish park centrally on a bay dividing line so they get half an empty bay on both sides. A woman with a small runabout car does this regularly near where I usually park in my local Tescos.

MattA7

If you don't want your car dinged, next to the entrance is not a good choice - lots of people want to park next to you and lots of other people are scraping past with trollies. I always park my "Chesea tractor" at the furthest part of the supermarket car park for this reason, where the adjacent slots are usually empty and I can get the shopping trolly up alongside, and get my door open wide enough to get in and out.
Chelsea tractors should not get all the blame. The really selfish park centrally on a bay dividing line so they get half an empty bay on both sides. A woman with a small runabout car does this regularly near where I usually park in my local Tescos.

Probably why a lot of parents want the parent and child spaces far away from the entrance so that they get the extra space and people won’t be tempted to misuse the spaces. Disabled spaces need to be near the entrance and have the extra space for obvious reasons however that also makes them more vulnerable to misuse.

Where does the whole “Chelsea tractor” reference come from I always believed parents insist on Q5/Q7s because of compulsory car seats requiring the large vehicles especially as it is Illegal (or at least very irresponsible) put put children in the front seat nowadays.

gswindale

Probably why a lot of parents want the parent and child spaces far away from the entrance so that they get the extra space and people won’t be tempted to misuse the spaces. Disabled spaces need to be near the entrance and have the extra space for obvious reasons however that also makes them more vulnerable to misuse.

Where does the whole “Chelsea tractor” reference come from I always believed parents insist on Q5/Q7s because of compulsory car seats requiring the large vehicles especially as it is Illegal (or at least very irresponsible) put put children in the front seat nowadays.
I don't follow. Unless you can't keep your pants on, you can fit a family with car seats in a Yaris without too much difficulty. No need for a monstrosity of an Audi .

Russel

Everyone else without kids parks in the parent and child spaces, so the disabled may as well join the party.

XAM2175

Established Member
It comes from people using them to drive their children - who don't need to use special seats - a handful of miles to and from school in places where they have no conceivable need for four-wheel drive.

I don't follow. Unless you can't keep your pants on, you can fit a family with car seats in a Yaris without too much difficulty. No need for a monstrosity of an Audi .
Indeed, when my brother and I were wee lads needing car seats (some time in the past now) we survived being carted around in a Ford Fiesta. I suppose we might have struggled had either my parents been taller and thus in need of more legroom, but that need could easily have been accommodated if necessary in something like a Mondeo.

341o2

Established Member
Regarding the Chelsea Tractor, the original Land Rover was an agricultural vehicle, which became a fashion item. The London Borough of Kensingtom and Chelsea is known for its wealth and trendsetting. As already mentioned, Chelsea Tractors spend most of the time being driven to the school and supermarket, rather than being used for what they were originally designed for. Private Eye ran a spoof ad for fake mud splashes for your Range Rover, to convince your neighbours that you did spend the weekend at a country location, likewise Series Landrover owners like taking the "P" regarding Chelsea Tractor drivers who don't know how to use them. One called into work to say he was snowed in, while another insisted the diff lock was a seat adjuster

Lucan

Established Member
It comes from people using them to drive their children - who don't need to use special seats - a handful of miles to and from school in places where they have no conceivable need for four-wheel drive.
Yes, we are all familiar with the use of the term, but why "tractor" and why "Chelsea"?
Series Landrover owners like taking the "P" regarding Chelsea Tractor drivers who don't know how to use them. One called into work to say he was snowed in, while another insisted the diff lock was a seat adjuster
Worse, a couple were found dead in the Australian outback a few years ago in a 4x4 stuck in soft sand. It was found in 2 wheel drive mode.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, we are all familiar with the use of the term, but why "tractor"

Because the origin of SUVs is agricultural 4x4s like the Series Land Rover, and because some of them e.g. those huge pickups are still intended for that purpose.

and why "Chelsea"?

Because it's about as inappropriate a place as you could imagine such vehicles being used, but because people there are so filthy rich they do so anyway.

Worse, a couple were found dead in the Australian outback a few years ago in a 4x4 stuck in soft sand. It was found in 2 wheel drive mode.

The most amusing is when you see them in ditches during snowy or icy weather, which happens because the owners don't realise that 4 wheel drive makes them go better, but they don't stop any better than any other car because all cars have brakes on all 4 wheels and ABS has been mandatory on all new cars for years.

TPO

The most amusing is when you see them in ditches during snowy or icy weather, which happens because the owners don't realise that 4 wheel drive makes them go better, but they don't stop any better than any other car because all cars have brakes on all 4 wheels and ABS has been mandatory on all new cars for years.

..... and because with summer low profile tyres on (rather than snow tyres or studded tyres) they have 4 spinning driven wheels rather than 2 spinning driven wheels :p

When I was a bairn growing up in the hilly North where we had snow every winter, best car we ever had was a 4x4 Fiat Panda with Eastern European snow tyres on. It was an amazing thing with a reinforced front grill and a protective undertray- could bash your way through deep snowdrifts!

TPO

341o2

Established Member
..... and because with summer low profile tyres on (rather than snow tyres or studded tyres) they have 4 spinning driven wheels rather than 2 spinning driven wheels :p
Assuming the driver has engaged four wheel drive (I am aware that some have permanent four wheel drive).
I remember travelling through the New Forest one cold and frosty morning, and encountering several vehicles in ditches, the drivers having learnt the hard way that cars do skid on icy roads

Status
Not open for further replies.