• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancellation insurance Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen Mill

I've had a couple of health issues this year which means I'm reluctant to buy advance tickets.
I know the rules on advance tickets are quite rigid but does such an animal as cancellation insurance exist for these tickets ?

I've just seen a "cracker" and I'd love to reserve it but I'm a bit edgy about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Not as far as I have seen.

The best option seems to be a standard Travel Insurance policy, many of which provide cover for trips within the UK where there are 2 or more nights in pre-booked accommodation booked. If you can't meet that then I'm not sure its possible.

snail

Established Member
If you or anyone travelling with you have had health issues then insurance to cover a recurrence of them could be expensive and hard to find. If you do find something, check if there is an excess on cancellation claims. If you end up paying, say, £75 towards the cost of cancellation would probably write off the cost of Advance tickets and more.

If the ticket deal is so good, just treat the cost as an insurance premium. If you can't go, then you've lost it, if you do go you are quids in!

rail-britain

Established Member
The majority of Travel Insurance policies do not cover cancellation of rail travel, within the UK (hidden in the small print), due to health issues, service cancellation, and so on

However some annual policies do cover rail travel, within the UK, when this forms part of a complete travel plan, ie rail journey, accomodation, rail journey

IanD

Established Member
Don't some websites ask you if you want cancellation insurance - or add it on and it's up to you to notice and remove it if you don't want it?

I'm sure thetrainline do it for £1 each way each ticket but by the time you've added it and their other fees you've probably paid for half the cost of your ticket again so it's not worth it!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't some websites ask you if you want cancellation insurance - or add it on and it's up to you to notice and remove it if you don't want it?

They do indeed the Trainline is the only one that I'm aware of offering this service for the price of £1. If anyone is interested you can find the policy wording here and the summary here. It should be noted that I think you can only get this through the Trainline not through Trainline powered websites so you not only pay for the insurance but everything else that the Trainline like to tack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.