• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled train but still travelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
I was on the 0802 from York to Kings Cross. The train was cancelled at Doncaster due to the toilet piping being frozen. We were told to join the 0856 from Doncaster. Five minutes into the journey, LNER emailed to say I was due the total cost of my ticket as a refund for the train being cancelled. I’m still travelling to London though and my arrival will be just 40mins. I need to know so I can deduct the ticket cost when I claim travel expenses back from the hospital.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nova1

If you arrived 60+ minutes late to your destination than you would have on the cancelled service, then this is correct, you are entitled to 100% of the ticket cost of a single or 50% of a return ticket through delay repay

Bayum

Established Member
But not a full refund due to the cancelled service, which is what’s happening by the email I got.

hkstudent

Established Member
I was on the 0802 from York to Kings Cross. The train was cancelled at Doncaster due to the toilet piping being frozen. We were told to join the 0856 from Doncaster. Five minutes into the journey, LNER emailed to say I was due the total cost of my ticket as a refund for the train being cancelled. I’m still travelling to London though and my arrival will be just 40mins. I need to know so I can deduct the ticket cost when I claim travel expenses back from the hospital.
Don't worry. Just claim the full original cost with the hospital. The delay repay was paid to you as compensation, not a fare reduction.

As long as you have traveled, you have used the ticket that the hospital will pay for you.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But not a full refund due to the cancelled service, which is what’s happening by the email I got.
Can you share a screenshot of the email (with any personally identifying details such as name/reference number/seat numbers suitably redacted)?

Bayum

Established Member
We’re sorry that your journey from York - London Kings Cross arrived late. Compensation to the amount of £130.50 is due for the delay.

To claim your One-Click Delay Repay simply click here: [Redacted hyperlink address] and you'll be compensated back to the card or other method you used to purchase this journey, in the next five days.

If you chose to donate to our charity partner (CALM), clicking the link will automatically donate the compensation to CALM.

If you have any questions, contact us here and quote your case reference [Redacted reference number]
Yours sincerely,

LNER Customer Services

Don't worry. Just claim the full original cost with the hospital. The delay repay was paid to you as compensation, not a fare reduction.

As long as you have traveled, you have used the ticket that the hospital will pay for you.

I know but if I’m refunded the entire amount of £130 whatever for the cost of the ticket to London, I don’t want to claim that back from the hospital because I haven’t actually spent it?

hkstudent

Established Member
We’re sorry that your journey from York - London Kings Cross arrived late. Compensation to the amount of £130.50 is due for the delay.

To claim your One-Click Delay Repay simply click here: [Redacted hyperlink address] and you'll be compensated back to the card or other method you used to purchase this journey, in the next five days.

If you chose to donate to our charity partner (CALM), clicking the link will automatically donate the compensation to CALM.

If you have any questions, contact us here and quote your case reference [Redacted reference number]
Yours sincerely,

LNER Customer Services

I know but if I’m refunded the entire amount of £130 whatever for the cost of the ticket to London, I don’t want to claim that back from the hospital because I haven’t actually spent it?
You have spent it already and travelled.
The compensation was paid to you inconvenience and the time lost (which time is money).

Meanwhile, doing expense claim in half or not in full may actually cause of paperwork and admin work in the finance department.

Starmill

Veteran Member
LNER are entitled to offer you more compensation than the minimum if they choose to. If that's what is happening, you're free to accept it and not submit a claim to the hospital for that travel if that's what you choose to do.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You could donate it to a hospital related charity.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

Yours sincerely,

LNER Customer Services

You have two choices, take the refund as compensation for your inconvenience and claim from the hospital or keep the refund and don't claim from the hospital as you haven't paid anything out in theory. This is up to you and your conscience?.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Right, so that's not a refund - that's Delay Repay. It's compensation for the inconvenience of the delay.

Whether or not you need to declare the Delay Repay (and whether receiving Delay Repay to the full value of your ticket excludes any claim for the cost of the ticket) is a matter for the agreement between you and the hospital.

Bayum

Established Member
Right, so that's not a refund - that's Delay Repay. It's compensation for the inconvenience of the delay.

Whether or not you need to declare the Delay Repay (and whether receiving Delay Repay to the full value of your ticket excludes any claim for the cost of the ticket) is a matter for the agreement between you and the hospital.
Refund/compo. People know what I was talking about.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The two are legally completely different concepts, with according implications for what you are legitimately entitled to claim back.

It was initially not at all clear to me which one you were referring to, hence why I asked for clarification.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The difference between them could affect your agreement with the hospital however. Given your post didn't explain that at all it seems reasonable to me that people asked for clarification.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Get the money back from the hospital, get the money from LNER and if you feel bad send some of it to charity. The government (LNER) certainly won’t miss £130.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Refund and compensation are different.

I would also await LNER's award before making any decision, as I'm not convinced that LNER's original email is accurate based on the delay. If you were only delayed by 45 minutes it shouldn't be the full cost.

For me, I'd reclaim my ticket cost from tye hospital and consider donating any Drlay Repay compensation.

greyman42

Established Member
Get the money back from the hospital, get the money from LNER and if you feel bad send some of it to charity. The government (LNER) certainly won’t miss £130.
Don't feel bad and trouser the lot, most would.

This one certainly poses some ethical dilemmas. LNER's website says

"How do I apply for compensation for my cancelled or delayed journey?​

Cancelled train​

For cancelled trains, we offer full refunds if you did not travel on another train. You need to apply for your refund within 28 days of the cancelled train date"

If you did travel on another train, then Delay Repay applies to actual delay experienced ie you would only get 50% back in this case.

So, you could write in and say that you should only have got 50% back, through Delay Repay, and offer to pay that much back.. Or you could regard it as LNER offering you more than minimum compensation under its rules (ie, in effect, an early Christmas Present). Perhaps reclaiming only 50% and then using the rest to make a donation to a charity called CALM (the option that LNER's website offers) might be a way to go particularly given the time of year? We could go on to debate whether you could get Gift Aid on it, even though you won't have paid any tax on receiving the payment (as it was compensation). But there are probably better things to do!

zero

We could go on to debate whether you could get Gift Aid on it, even though you won't have paid any tax on receiving the payment (as it was compensation).

As long as you paid enough tax on some other income, you are eligible for Gift Aid. So it's better to get compensation into your bank account and then donate it yourself.

35B

Established Member
As long as you paid enough tax on some other income, you are eligible for Gift Aid. So it's better to get compensation into your bank account and then donate it yourself.
Hear, hear. Gift Aid doesn’t consider the source of the income, just whether it’s within what the donor’s paid tax on in that year.

This Gift Aid administrator is a great believer in it, and it has a massive impact on the charities receiving it. Going back to the suggestion of supporting CALM, they will benefit £35 more from the OP (assuming that they’re a taxpayer) taking full cash Delay Repay and then Gift Aid donating it than receiving it as a direct transfer from LNER.

Status
Not open for further replies.