• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelling hotel bookings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Have you actually got the Travelodge voucher yet? I went through the process yesterday, but haven't received the email with the voucher yet. I seem to recall they said it might take a few days.

I have also re-scheduled a pre-paid Ibis hotel booking without any problems. In that case, it was necessary to email the individual hotel directly - they were very prompt in replying. However, I see from the Accor facebook page that others have not met with such a positive response. As the Accor chain includes a lot of franchised hotels, I suspect that some individual franchisees may not be sticking to the official Accor position.

The press are reporting that there is likely to be a surge in holiday and hotel bookings once the travel restrictions are relaxed. So if you want to travel at a later date, it is probably best to re-schedule your original booking now while the prices are still relatively low.

Well it took a while but I finally got my email with the voucher code today.

"Hi Captain Haddock,

Further to our email advising you about our hotel closures as a result of the Government ruling to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), here is your 25% Extra Voucher you requested. Your voucher below is valid for future stays booked direct at www.travelodge.co.uk in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Valid for stays to 30 December 2021."

I have another Travelodge booking for April 17 which at present, falls outside the lockdown period so Travelodge are still saying normal Ts & Cs apply. Hopefully, once we know if the current lockdown is to be extended, Travelodge will continue to offer full refunds and/or vouchers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blinkbonny

Yeah, got mine today as well. Can finally get rid of the screen shot I took promising me one!

Blinkbonny

There's so many different ifs and buts that it's hard to keep track.

In my case Travelodge themselves closed the hotel and cancelled my booking. That, I believe, is the reason for the 25% bonus.

Other hotels remained open, but eventually Travelodge accepted that, despite their terms and conditions, they would have to refund bookings - but offered no bonus amount.

Or so I believe anyway. I remember being grateful that I held off cancelling or postponing, until Travelodge "blinked first," as it were!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you have had a hotel charge refunded as a result of you cancelling check the amount - I have had an amount refunded for a stay abroad that I have had to cancel but close inspection reveals it is not for the full amount that I paid.

Blinkbonny

Possibly like the theatres they might consider themselves entitled to the anathematic so-called "booking fee!"

Whereby you not only have to pay to be sold something, but you have to pay again when they fail to provide the item.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If you have had a hotel charge refunded as a result of you cancelling check the amount - I have had an amount refunded for a stay abroad that I have had to cancel but close inspection reveals it is not for the full amount that I paid.

How much is it different, as it could be down to exchange rates being different?

wandacat

Anyone got any advice for this scenario?

The family and I was meant to have gone to one of the large Non chain hotels in Blackpool for 4 nights from Sunday 5th April. The booking was made via Booking. Com on a Non refundable basis for two rooms.

I was following the Covid 19 scenario from early March onwards as I could see us not being able to make these dates. Around
20th March, the hotel was allowing Non refundable bookings to be cancelled and a credit allowed against a future booking subject to dates for the future booking being given by 31st May. (At this point Non Essential travel was just advisory, not compulsory)

I initially explored dates in the October half term holiday but as these were £150 more than the prices I had paid for the Easter break I decided to not give any dates for a rebooking at this point.

Moving forwards, on 25th March Booking.Com automatically cancelled my booking (free cancellation) with zero refund, referring myself to the hotel as the hotel could no longer fulfill my dates as they have closed until 1st May at the earliest.

My question now, is can I claim a refund as the hotel could not fulfill the original dates or does the fact that I agreed just prior to 25th March to a credit against a future booking void that option. One concern I have is that the future dates I am offered will be at a much higher price than I had paid for the Easter school holiday breaks.

I look forward to any advice. Thank You

Crossover

Established Member
Yeah, got mine today as well. Can finally get rid of the screen shot I took promising me one!

I got mine today - it is three weeks since I cancelled the booking and last night sent a message to customer services via the web form chasing it. Not sure if the voucher today was just coincidence!

Possibly like the theatres they might consider themselves entitled to the anathematic so-called "booking fee!"

Whereby you not only have to pay to be sold something, but you have to pay again when they fail to provide the item.

OT for hotels, but re theatres, I had a theatre seat booked via agent TodayTix - they have issued a voucher to use in any of their locations (worldwide) for 110% of the original order value (including booking fees) valid for 12 months. Can't say fairer than that, really!

Iskra

Established Member
Not a hotel but a Villa in Sicily booked for May. A friend of mine booked it for a group of us to go together. So far the owner says they won't refund the cost. Maybe it will be different nearer the time.

Have you got any further with this?

I've got a hotel in Bari refusing to do me a refund, but offering a voucher for 12 months. That's the same as what TrenItalia are offering. A bit annoying, but I will make a special trip when it all calms down just to use these! Annoyed with the hotel considering my flights are cancelled and if I did get there I would have to quarantine for 14 days- not much use when I only booked for one night!

S&CLER

Most of you are fortunate that you are only cancelling for yourselves and immediate family. I organised a private coach holiday in Llandrindod Wells for a club I belong to, and booked 43 people, who paid nearly £9000. Two couples cancelled for medical reasons after paying deposits, 2 of the others paid their balances and then had to cancel because they were called to hospital for operations; those operations have now been cancelled, so the unfortunates have lost both their holiday and their planned surgery. Of the remainder, 6 cancelled in the third week before departure (which would have been this sunny week!) and lost 55% as per T&Cs; if they had waited only a day or two, the company would have cancelled, and they would have been offered the choice of an eventual cash refund or a credit note for a future holiday. But acting in good faith at the time I advised them, if they were thinking of cancellation, to cancel then and lose 55% rather than wait till the next week and lose 75%.

So I am now in a position of having to deal with 8 people awaiting partial refunds, another 6 electing full refunds, and the rest who have taken credit notes. At the same time I need to collect deposits for our next holiday in October, which involves sorting out who will use their credit note and who was not booked for April but wants to go in October, and therefore has to pay a deposit in the normal way. Nearly everyone has made their mind up, thank heavens.

Fortunately I have had the first group of refunds for those who had cancelled before the company suspended all April holidays. That was paid to me in a cheque which I paid in after travelling to a nearby branch, as my own is closed. At least I have been able to arrange that the next refund group will be paid to me by bank transfer.

Also, I still had money left over as the 2 free places refund we got for exceeding a specified number of bookings. In normal times I use that surplus for the coach driver's tip and a cash distribution to everyone on the coach, and keep some for my own expenses (mostly stamps). But this year I was able to use it instead to help out some of those who had lost money on their cancellations.

The whole thing has been fraught and time-consuming, but it's a job I enjoy doing, and I am keeping on top of it. (The most delicate job is arranging the table seating for meals, as you have to be careful who you put with whom.) The main problem has been the speed at which developments followed one another over this last month. What I really regret is that I had hoped that our booked excursion, a scenic drive from Llandrindod to Aberystwyth via Devil's Bridge, would have allowed me to go on the Vale of Rheidol railway.

Last edited:

Belperpete

Established Member
What's a 25% extra voucher? I got my Travelodge vouchers quite quickly but they are just for the amount I paid.
In my case, Travelodge sent an email advising that they had cancelled my booking. The email included the following message:

Please do not cancel this booking yourself and read the information below carefully.

If you prepaid for your booking you are entitled to a full refund and our standard terms and conditions have been waived.

However, we are offering you a voucher for the full amount paid for this booking plus an additional 25% extra in value.

To accept the 25% Extra Voucher please click the button below within the next 7 days (31st March):

I think that those people who cancelled their booking themselves, without clicking on the link in the email, will only have got the amount they paid.

NB: I am still waiting for the voucher that I applied for on the 25th, and have just emailed Customer Services to remind them. Interesting to read Crossover's experience above - will see if the same happens for me.

Belperpete

Established Member
Anyone got any advice for this scenario?
Around 20th March, the hotel was allowing Non refundable bookings to be cancelled and a credit allowed against a future booking subject to dates for the future booking being given by 31st May. ..... I decided to not give any dates for a rebooking at this point.

Moving forwards, on 25th March Booking.Com automatically cancelled my booking (free cancellation) with zero refund, referring myself to the hotel as the hotel could no longer fulfill my dates as they have closed until 1st May at the earliest.

My question now, is can I claim a refund as the hotel could not fulfill the original dates or does the fact that I agreed just prior to 25th March to a credit against a future booking void that option.
As I see it, on 20th March you cancelled your booking direct with the hotel, and agreed to a credit in lieu. So on 25th March, you no longer had a booking to cancel. You would be relying entirely on the goodwill of the hotel to now convert the credit note you agreed to into a full refund.

kevin_roche

Have you got any further with this?

I've got a hotel in Bari refusing to do me a refund, but offering a voucher for 12 months. That's the same as what TrenItalia are offering. A bit annoying, but I will make a special trip when it all calms down just to use these! Annoyed with the hotel considering my flights are cancelled and if I did get there I would have to quarantine for 14 days- not much use when I only booked for one night!

The owner has now offered to let us move the booking to next year. We have agreed to that though I think one person has dropped out. There were a number of things involved and most of us were really keen to do it later rather than loose the money. Now I have to see if I can get my money back from the flights.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Am I still able to reserve a hotel with free cancellation for Ibiza in oct would anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:

LAX54

Established Member
Think most major Hotels, will simply refund, voucher, or rebook, we were due to go to Boston May 3rd, but all the Hotels have refunded or just rebooked new 2021 dates, The actual Holiday Co has also moved dates to 2021, albeit at a higher cost ! Just hope some of these Companies do not go to the wall, as no holiday insureance covers such 'pandemics' another reason Airlines and Holday Co's are asking for customers to take a new booking or voucher, and not a refund !

High Dyke

Established Member
A group of us should've been away for the usual 'End of Season' footy weekend recently. The person who made the booking with Travelodge had paid saver rate. At the time Travelodge were only giving booking advice up to the 15th April - we were away commencing the 17th April. I had a message from the organiser last week to advise they'd refunded all of the monies; we were also given the option of a credit note.

ChrisC

Established Member
I have given up on trying to amend a Premier Inn booking to an alternative date in September. It was a flexible rate booking and I hadn’t paid anything in advance but it should be possible to amend to an alternative later date online. The system wouldn’t let me do this and I came to the conclusion that it’s probably due to my debit card expiring in July. I just cancelled and I will book again when I get my new debit card in July. I’m quickly coming to the conclusions that even rebooking for September may be too soon for a leisure stay.

High Dyke

Established Member
I’m quickly coming to the conclusions that even rebooking for September may be too soon for a leisure stay.
I know what you mean. I've got a weekend in Scotland booked for rhe end of July; wedding anniversary. We'll see how things go. I have booked flexible rate so there shouldn't be too many issues if it doesn't happen.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I know what you mean. I've got a weekend in Scotland booked for rhe end of July; wedding anniversary. We'll see how things go. I have booked flexible rate so there shouldn't be too many issues if it doesn't happen.
I would imagine the vast majority of leisure businesses and hotels if they can’t trade for that long will simply have no choice but to close, there’ll need to be some form of compromise or the leisure, tourist and hotel industries will simply die away.

Belperpete

Established Member
I would imagine the vast majority of leisure businesses and hotels if they can’t trade for that long will simply have no choice but to close, there’ll need to be some form of compromise or the leisure, tourist and hotel industries will simply die away.
Looking at the Irish Republic's recently-issued plan, they don't appear to be re-opening hospitality and tourism until August - at the earliest. They are in a significantly better situation than the UK in terms of numbers infected.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know how/if accepting a rebooking voucher will affect any travel insurance claims for international stays?

I’m thinking of a few circumstances here:
1. Accepting a voucher, rebooking later in the year and that holiday also ends up being cancelled
2. Accepting a voucher, rebooking later in the year but the room rate has increased substantially
3. Accepting a voucher and never ending up rebooking, just cancelling the holiday

My travel insurer, has made it clear that, for any bookings made after 17th March (even if the booking is for a significant time in the future) the pandemic is considered a “known event” and as such any claims relating to voluntary cancellation will not be entertained, if that makes a difference.

The only UK trip I’ve booked the only payment I’d made was for accommodation (we were supposed to be driving there so had no other costs to pay upfront), and they closed the site so was able to obtain either a refund or a rebooking voucher, as most travel insurance for travel within the UK given the current issues is worthless (although my provider has allowed such claims provided you have at least two nights hotel accommodation prebooked, many insurers have an optout for there being a pandemic - and obviously the FCO, the grounds on which most claims are currently taking place, can’t advise against domestic travel)

Belperpete

Established Member
Does anyone know how/if accepting a rebooking voucher will affect any travel insurance claims for international stays?

I’m thinking of a few circumstances here:
1. Accepting a voucher, rebooking later in the year and that holiday also ends up being cancelled
2. Accepting a voucher, rebooking later in the year but the room rate has increased substantially
3. Accepting a voucher and never ending up rebooking, just cancelling the holiday

My travel insurer, has made it clear that, for any bookings made after 17th March (even if the booking is for a significant time in the future) the pandemic is considered a “known event” and as such any claims relating to voluntary cancellation will not be entertained, if that makes a difference.

The only UK trip I’ve booked the only payment I’d made was for accommodation (we were supposed to be driving there so had no other costs to pay upfront), and they closed the site so was able to obtain either a refund or a rebooking voucher, as most travel insurance for travel within the UK given the current issues is worthless (although my provider has allowed such claims provided you have at least two nights hotel accommodation prebooked, many insurers have an optout for there being a pandemic - and obviously the FCO, the grounds on which most claims are currently taking place, can’t advise against domestic travel)
It will depend on your particular insurer. However, my understanding is that if you voluntarily accept a voucher, most travel insurers will count that as you having been refunded for your original booking. So if you use that voucher to make a new booking, they will treat that as a new booking made at the time of rebooking. I think the only case that travel insurance might cover is if you were issued with a voucher but the company went bust before you could spend it. I very much doubt you would be covered if you decided not to use the voucher, or decided to buy a more expensive holiday with it.

The Martin Lewis web-site has lots of info on the pros and cons of vouchers, and issues with travel insurance:
Money Saving Expert
There is far too much to cut and paste it all here.

One thing to bear in mind, is that if the airline cancels your flight, you are entitled to amend your booking to a different flight even if it costs more. I had an Easyjet flight to Amsterdam in late March which they cancelled, and I was able to rebook for October. Even though the new flight was more expensive than my original flight, I didn't have to pay extra. If you accept a voucher, you will have to pay the difference. What I am not currently sure about, is how my travel insurer will treat this amended booking.

Belperpete

Established Member
NB: I am still waiting for the [Travelodge 25% extra] voucher that I applied for on the 25th March, and have just emailed Customer Services to remind them. Interesting to read Crossover's experience above - will see if the same happens for me.
Well, unfortunately it didn't. However, nearly one month after I applied for it, Travelodge Customer Services have finally located my voucher code.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got Ibis Annemasse (in France but near Geneva) and a return flight booked with EasyJet for next week.

my reading of easyJet T&C's is that I can wait a few months before i select an alternative date; I don't have to commit to a date right now. Is that correct?

However I am less clear on the hotel, and whether I need to re-arrange that before the date of arrival.

If anyone has any experience of Ibis and EasyJet , I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I am currently undecided as to when to go as it depends on how things develop.

Belperpete

Established Member
I've got Ibis Annemasse (in France but near Geneva) and a return flight booked with EasyJet for next week.

my reading of easyJet T&C's is that I can wait a few months before i select an alternative date; I don't have to commit to a date right now. Is that correct?

However I am less clear on the hotel, and whether I need to re-arrange that before the date of arrival.

If anyone has any experience of Ibis and EasyJet , I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I am currently undecided as to when to go as it depends on how things develop.
I had a hotel room booked with Ibis in Utrecht in March. I emailed the hotel with revised dates for October, and they replied within a day agreeing. I will have to pay the additional cost at the hotel (the new dates are slightly more expensive than my original booking). Note that you have to email the individual hotel, not Accor central bookings.

I also had an Ibis room booked in Prague in April. I likewise emailed that hotel requesting revised dates later in the year. I have yet to receive a reply. Accor do have a message on their web-site saying that some of their hotels are closed (Czech has closed hotels in a similar way to us in the UK), so it may be that that particular hotel is currently closed and unstaffed. Or it may be that they are currently not permitted to take new bookings until the Czech republic gives a date when they can reopen.

I am currently waiting for the Prague hotel to reply before I rebook my Easyjet flights. However, as time goes on, I am less sure that I will actually be travelling later this year, so I may go for the voucher option. There are disadvantages to the voucher, however. As Easyjet cancelled the flight, my understanding is that I am entitled to amend the booking at no extra cost, even if the new flight costs more than the original. This is certainly what happened when I amended my KLM booking for my Utrecht trip. If you take a voucher, then you will certainly have to pay any excess if the new flights cost more. And the likelihood is that flights could cost considerably more.

I am concerned that even if I can get to these places, will it be worth going? Will the bars and restaurants be open? The Utrecht trip is for an exhibition - will it still be running? What happens if I come down with a simple cold while I am away? What happens if I am not allowed on the plane home? How likely is that travel insurance will cover me?

Status
Not open for further replies.