• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car struck by a train at Yarnton (nr Tackley) on 02/01/2013 & AHB Crossing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Sometime around 1545hrs, a vehicle was struck at a level crossing at Yarnton, near Tackley, which is just to the North of Oxford. All lines are blocked at this location, with ongoing delays as a result.

BTP & NR are in attendance. I have not heard any information on any casualties or the condition of the train & track.

FGW passengers may use XC & LU on reasonable routes, and XC passengers may use LM & Chiltern on reasonable routes.

Update: Two people are injured and were not trapped in the vehicle, according to the local press (Oxford Mail & Oxford Times). The train involved was supposedly a freight service and the incident occurred at around 1539hrs on Sandy Lane crossing.

StreetView seems to show an automatic half barrier crossing at this location. The road seems to have poor sightlines on approach to the crossing.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Wouldn't work out to be a passenger service, nearest one in the area was a Newcastle - Southampton XC train which will now presumably be reversed to Banbury, by the time it reached Heyford (where I assume it was stopped) a northbound XC had already been cancelled at Oxford because of this.

Any idea what type of crossing is involved, on the phone at the moment so can't really look.

tsr

Established Member
Wouldn't work out to be a passenger service, nearest one in the area was a Newcastle - Southampton XC train which will now presumably be reversed to Banbury, by the time it reached Heyford (where I assume it was stopped) a northbound XC had already been cancelled at Oxford because of this.

Aha. Yes. I didn't think of actually looking up which services were passing the crossing at the time, which was slightly daft.

Any idea what type of crossing is involved, on the phone at the moment so can't really look.

It appears to have half-barriers, so I would hazard a guess at an automatic half-barrier crossing.

ushawk

Established Member
It appears to have half-barriers, so I would hazard a guess at an automatic half-barrier crossing.

It's always half-barrier crossings involved, could have guessed really. Not going to assume anything but the main possible causes could be LC failure or the driver failing to stop, hopefully the investigation finds out.

Thoughts with those involved.

ushawk

Established Member
BTP have confirmed on Twitter that 1 man has died on scene and another is injured

tsr

Established Member
It's always half-barrier crossings involved, could have guessed really. Not going to assume anything but the main possible causes could be LC failure or the driver failing to stop, hopefully the investigation finds out.

Thoughts with those involved.

We shall see. It's really much to early to speculate (not that we really should at all).

From a practical point of view, buses are now replacing trains from Oxford to Banbury.

Ticket acceptance:
  • FGW: XC/Chiltern/LU
  • XC: Chiltern/LM/FGW/SWT/Virgin/LU
BBC News reports one man in car killed, at least one other in car survived.

BTP have confirmed on Twitter that 1 man has died on scene and another is injured

Oh dear. That wasn't the original info I had. Very sad :(

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
Service involved was a Trafford Park (Manchester) to Southampton freight service - believe that's operated by Freightliner.

Line will probably be closed most of tomorrow, but there is extensive ticket acceptance which has been put in place very quickly.

neonison

Ironically on the day Google Streetview visited Yarnton Lane the road was blocked by a lorry just beyond the AHBC and the Streetview coverage ends at the crossing. Is there an industrial unit or similar there?

tsr

Established Member
Ironically on the day Google Streetview visited Yarnton Lane the road was blocked by a lorry just beyond the AHBC and the Streetview coverage ends at the crossing. Is there an industrial unit or similar there?

I believe the accident is actually at the Sandy Lane crossing, which appears to be in a rural area.

Metroland

Established Member

Automatic-half barrier (AHB), supervised by Oxford PSB, 100mph linespeed, 2 aspect signalling, track circuit block.

CallySleeper

Established Member

That's not the correct location. The correct one is where the line crosses Sandy Lane.

bangor-toad

I used to live on Sandy Lane just up the road from this crossing.

From what I remember it's a half barrier crossing. If it's approached from the Kidlington side, the road is straight and there is a clear line of sight onto the crossing.
If you come from the Yarnton side though there are some 90 degree corners just before you get to the crossing and there is a 90 degree left hand turn onto the crossing itself. The sight lines are very poor from this side.

It can be a busy place given it's basically a country side road.
Jason

fsmr

The fact that according to reports, the train made a brake application indicates the vehicle was on the line before the sequence started or very shortly after. When are all these AHBs going to be removed
IMHO they are not fit for purpose and never have been.
They are far to open for misuse leading to innocent lives lost. If anything goes wrong and a vehicle ends up broken down or on the tracks in an accident, then if there is a train approaching at that unfortunate moment, you have well under a minute to get clear of there which I am afraid is not enough. Give me a delay and monitored full signal protected barriers anyday. They should haver been binned after the Hixon disaster

Oh dear what have I started now LOL

Kt

It seems that the barriers were raised when the car went onto the crossing, it is said to be believed at the moment that the car broke down on the crossing.

The vehicle was stationary when it came into the drivers view, so it could be possible.

That's just really bad luck though!

What a tragedy :(

Yes AHB crossings are terrible, just as bad as AOCL's but for some reason there are always more incidents at AHB's!!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The fact that according to reports, the train made a brake application indicates the vehicle was on the line before the sequence started or very shortly after. When are all these AHBs going to be removed
IMHO they are not fit for purpose and never have been.
They are far to open for misuse leading to innocent lives lost. If anything goes wrong and a vehicle ends up broken down or on the tracks in an accident, then if there is a train approaching at that unfortunate moment, you have well under a minute to get clear of there which I am afraid is not enough. Give me a delay and monitored full signal protected barriers anyday. They should haver been binned after the Hixon disaster

Oh dear what have I started now LOL

I have no intention on commenting on today's tragic events before the investigators have done their work.

However, with regard to your proposed policy on replacing AHB's, are most of these accidents caused by vehicles ending up on the tracks because of an accident or breaking down ?

If not, can the replacement of such crossings come from the road budget please. (This might appear flippant, but there is a real danger that resources set aside for improving the railway network for the first time in decades could be whittled away dealing with a problem which is essentially generated by road users).

DXMachina

Maybe the advice of the highway code should be taught more -

"if you are stalled on a level crossing in a manual car, put it in first gear and turn the key to Start - your car will move forwards as the engine turns over"

Its bad luck to break down on a level crossing - and also odd that the vehicle would have been unable to coast onwards or the driver to stop it before if he realised it was failing.. Short of there being queuing traffic ahead forcing a stop and a clutch or gearbox failure it makes little sense

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't get it either. Unless you hit something or were trying to limp over the crossing already being fully aware of a fault, you'd just be able to coast over.

Goatboy

Established Member
Are there statistics available anywhere for the cause of level crossing accidents?

I can't imagine cars breaking down and being completely immobile right in the middle of a level crossing happens much outside of Hollywood. I mean the odds of that must be absolutely tiny?

Kt

Does it not depend on the speed of the car on approach, or if the car had been stationary and drove on to the crossing slowly?

Apologies, I am not a driver so I don't know but I assume there are circumstances that could make all the difference.

Goatboy

Established Member
Does it not depend on the speed of the car on approach, or if the car had been stationary and drove on to the crossing slowly?

Apologies, I am not a driver so I don't know but I assume there are circumstances that could make all the difference.

It is possible you could suffer something like a clutch failure as you pulled onto the crossing from a standstill but this would be a particularly rare fault (You usually get plenty of warning) and it doesnt look like the sort of crossing that would ever had a queue on it.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Maybe the advice of the highway code should be taught more -

"if you are stalled on a level crossing in a manual car, put it in first gear and turn the key to Start - your car will move forwards as the engine turns over"

Its bad luck to break down on a level crossing - and also odd that the vehicle would have been unable to coast onwards or the driver to stop it before if he realised it was failing.. Short of there being queuing traffic ahead forcing a stop and a clutch or gearbox failure it makes little sense

Unless you actually cite the reference to that I won't believe it.

Rather, maybe this advice common sense should be taught more -

Highway Code (Rule 299) said:
If your vehicle breaks down, or if you have an incident on a crossing you should:
- get everyone out of the vehicle and clear of the crossing immediately
- use a railway telephone if available to tell the signal operator. Follow the instructions you are given which was available at this crossing!
- move the vehicle clear of the crossing if there is time before a train arrives. If the alarm sounds, or the amber light comes on, leave the vehicle and get clear of the crossing immediately.

If in the unfortunate event of breaking down on a crossing, don't try and get it off by turning the engine over especially as it might not work. Get the * out of the vehicle, especially if the barriers come down!

If, of course this is what happened here. We're still dealing in hypothetics.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/419999/20130102/man-dies-train-collides-car-oxford-crossing.htm:

""The Network Rail maintenance team have not been able to fix it. The barrier arms stay down much longer than they should do.""

Surely that's not a bad thing?!

Kt

It is possible you could suffer something like a clutch failure as you pulled onto the crossing from a standstill but this would be a particularly rare fault (You usually get plenty of warning) and it doesnt look like the sort of crossing that would ever had a queue on it.

Ah I see, I don't have any personal experience to go by and there are not really any level crossings near where I live so never use them.

A quick google search brings up a couple of examples... So yes still possible.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9624067.Car_blocking_Shoreham_level_crossing/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2199459.stm

I guess nobody knows the facts yet, the vehicle breaking down is the speculation from emergency services that attended the scene, the findings supporting this have been passed to RAIB so I am sure they will it is in their hands to come to some sort of conclusion.

I do hate it when these sorts of things happen :|

Status
Not open for further replies.