• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Bus

Mwanesh

This statement was put out by Cardiff Bus recently.

It goes on to list many changes, including about seven routes which are being withdrawn pending a decision on the Council tendering them, so they may have new operators. I had an argument with a Labour mp recently who was moaning about busses in Wales
I had a nice discussion with a Labour MP the other day and he was all for reregulation. I said fair enough what about Cardiff and Newport where the operators are council owned? They can't even serve their towns properly. His answer was we will force them to change their services. I just laughed and changed the subject.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
I had a nice discussion with about buses with a Labour MP the other day and he was all for reregulation. I said fair enough what about Cardiff and Newport where the operators are council owned? They can't even serve their towns properly. His answer was we will force them to change their services. I just laughed and changed the subject.
They can try, but if the money's not there they won't be able to.

Cardiff will benefit from the vast sums being spent on the Metro, of course, but it's clear that that is at the expense of the buses. The other big item in the Welsh Government's transport budget is the A465 improvements.

slowroad

They can try, but if the money's not there they won't be able to.

Cardiff will benefit from the vast sums being spent on the Metro, of course, but it's clear that that is at the expense of the buses. The other big item in the Welsh Government's transport budget is the A465 improvements.
The big ongoing non-capital items are the subsidies to rail and, to a lesser extent, buses. Both massively impacted by the apparently permanent step down in passengers post-Covid. No easy answers here, especially when most people rarely/never use either.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The big ongoing non-capital items are the subsidies to rail and, to a lesser extent, buses. Both massively impacted by the apparently permanent step down in passengers post-Covid. No easy answers here, especially when most people rarely/never use either.
Sections 5 and 6 of the A465 are being built under a 'mutual investment model'; basically the private investors pay for it and the Government lease it back, so that's a non-capital item, as are the leases for the new trains in addition to the operating losses.

My overwhelming impression is that prestigious projects are considered more important than boring things like keeping buses running and repairing potholes. I do believe a really good bus service could reduce car use in Cardiff.

Mwanesh

Sections 5 and 6 of the A465 are being built under a 'mutual investment model'; basically the private investors pay for it and the Government lease it back, so that's a non-capital item, as are the leases for the new trains in addition to the operating losses.

My overwhelming impression is that prestigious projects are considered more important than boring things like keeping buses running and repairing potholes. I do believe a really good bus service could reduce car use in Cardiff.
Exactly and also the place needs a bus station. It makes travel easier. It's hard looking for busses if you are not clued up about operators.

M803UYA

Surprising how the company, owned by a Labour council can't get itself to function properly when the Government of Wales is the same party that is in charge of the council which owns the company......

Given the amount of visits the bus company makes to the council (once a week), and the presence of councillors on the board of directors it's fascinating how disjointed the operations of the company are.

SW Buses

Surprising how the company, owned by a Labour council can't get itself to function properly when the Government of Wales is the same party that is in charge of the council which owns the company......

Given the amount of visits the bus company makes to the council (once a week), and the presence of councillors on the board of directors it's fascinating how disjointed the operations of the company are.
What is your source for the weekly visits, please? Councillor presence as non-exec is the the ‘feature’ of a municipal operation, nothing new there.

M803UYA

What is your source for the weekly visits, please? Councillor presence as non-exec is the the ‘feature’ of a municipal operation, nothing new there.
Direct first hand knowledge. I'm not in the habit of posting unsubstantiated comments as my other posts will attest.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I wholly agree that the city does not give bus the infrastructure it needs, but don’t forget the closure of the bus station was under a Liberal administration.
True. The bus station is being rebuilt though allegedly, the council wanted it to be a case of any bus takes any available stand and then tell passengers which stand it goes from (think like Birmingham Digbeth Coach Station, stand is allocated upon arrival rather than route 1 always departs from stand A (for example). The new bus station is coming along though, I guess time will tell which routes actually serve it. Whether it is an interurban bus station or a Cardiff Bus Bus Station.

Who's decision was it to close St Mary's Street to buses on Fri/Sat nights? A decision which forces buses to avoid the main area where people are and the junctions made into large taxi ranks to push people into taxis rather than the (what was) readily available buses?

Also whos decision was it to make it so that the two sets of lights on St Mary's Street (a road which must have about 60 buses per hour over each junction can take 4 minutes for each green cycle.

Lack of decent bus stops, no effective bus lanes, junctions that give no regard to bus movements are plenty in example and this is the case now for most UK cities.
You'd expect an authority who owns the local bus operator to be better though as they can see the challenges and they will want to prop up the operator with as little of taxpayers money as possible. If they cared about bus priority, they would save money as Cardiff bus would be more profitable.

There are 4 route ps that fall into the category of linking Hospital to suburbs - all tenders and these are the services being withdrawn. The ‘core’ network is what I needs to be.
Tenders are being withdrawn. Wonderful advert for public control that.

Sports Village is busy and an example where s106 support as part of developments, done right works.
Always dead whenever I've passed through there. Nowhere near busy enough to justify the number of buses. I agree S106 funding though is definitely needed to be requested more

Schools is an issue - they are built nowhere near the bus network or even, in some cases, near anything. In those examples bus services will always need to be supported.
Some of the schools aren't that far from the core bus network and could be supported by moving more kids on the core bus network.

Like all major urban areas, the above which hinders bus operations won’t be fixed by what is proposed by WG franchising either.
Shhh, keep that quiet. Labour is doing a big campaign saying that public control is best and it will solve the world's problems.

M803UYA

You'd expect an authority who owns the local bus operator to be better though as they can see the challenges and they will want to prop up the operator with as little of taxpayers money as possible. If they cared about bus priority, they would save money as Cardiff bus would be more profitable.
Quite - given the presence of Cardiff Council people on the board of directors of the business, and given the noises the Conservatives make about 'decisions having to be taken about the company' whenever it posts the latest set of annual losses, one is amazed at the lack of joining up. It's literally a branch of the government in it's current state.

Mwanesh

True. The bus station is being rebuilt though allegedly, the council wanted it to be a case of any bus takes any available stand and then tell passengers which stand it goes from (think like Birmingham Digbeth Coach Station, stand is allocated upon arrival rather than route 1 always departs from stand A (for example). The new bus station is coming along though, I guess time will tell which routes actually serve it. Whether it is an interurban bus station or a Cardiff Bus Bus Station.

Who's decision was it to close St Mary's Street to buses on Fri/Sat nights? A decision which forces buses to avoid the main area where people are and the junctions made into large taxi ranks to push people into taxis rather than the (what was) readily available buses?

Also whos decision was it to make it so that the two sets of lights on St Mary's Street (a road which must have about 60 buses per hour over each junction can take 4 minutes for each green cycle.

Tenders are being withdrawn. Wonderful advert for public control that.

Always dead whenever I've passed through there. Nowhere near busy enough to justify the number of buses. I agree S106 funding though is definitely needed to be requested more

Some of the schools aren't that far from the core bus network and could be supported by moving more kids on the core bus network.

Shhh, keep that quiet. Labour is doing a big campaign saying that public control is best and it will solve the world's problems.
They can do better with night busses.

mrmartin

The whole system is a shambles. I've basically given up on them and use uber or walk now. So many problems:

Congestion is terrible. Recently got stuck for over 30 mins in the city centre because of the st davids car parking problems, I think with a closure of some sort that meant all buses had to go down David street.
Frequencies have been cut (and will be cut further), which combined with traffic problems results in bunching, meaning that you can often be waiting for 30minutes+ for a 'every 15 minute' timetabled route.
No real cross city buses, apart from c1 which is with a different operator and has also been slashed in the last month, with no services after 8pm or on sunday now, and big frequency reductions when it does run.
Buses don't actually go that near the station; which combined with the ridiculous light phasing as another poster pointed out results in trying to get near the station taking forever.

System is in a death spiral I would say, people will be giving up on them which means more city centre congestion from people switching to cars, etc.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The whole system is a shambles. I've basically given up on them and use uber or walk now. So many problems:

Congestion is terrible. Recently got stuck for over 30 mins in the city centre because of the st davids car parking problems, I think with a closure of some sort that meant all buses had to go down David street.
Frequencies have been cut (and will be cut further), which combined with traffic problems results in bunching, meaning that you can often be waiting for 30minutes+ for a 'every 15 minute' timetabled route.
No real cross city buses, apart from c1 which is with a different operator and has also been slashed in the last month, with no services after 8pm or on sunday now, and big frequency reductions when it does run.
Buses don't actually go that near the station; which combined with the ridiculous light phasing as another poster pointed out results in trying to get near the station taking forever.

System is in a death spiral I would say, people will be giving up on them which means more city centre congestion from people switching to cars, etc.
The cynic in me says this is what Cardiff Council want so that they can make more money off their proposed road user charging thing.

mrmartin

Road charging would solve this. Congestion would drop massively; and bus use would become more attractive (firstly, buses could be more frequent with the same fleet/driver team, secondly people would compare the cost of the car journey vs the bus journey).

Dai Corner

Established Member
Road charging would solve this. Congestion would drop massively; and bus use would become more attractive (firstly, buses could be more frequent with the same fleet/driver team, secondly people would compare the cost of the car journey vs the bus journey).
Or people would avoid the city centre and drive to out-of town shops, leisure facilities and workplaces.

mrmartin

Or people would avoid the city centre and drive to out-of town shops, leisure facilities and workplaces.
Well that's already happening. It takes 3 hours to get out of the st davids car park on some weekends right now. The status quo isn't going to work.

In my eyes I'd also put a levy on out of town car parking spaces to capture the externalities from them too.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could we keep this thread for discussing Cardiff Bus, the company. If anyone wishes to continue discussing the bus station, there is a separate thread here:

Traffic problems in Cardiff can be discussed in a separate thread in the Other Transport section of the forum.

Dorsetbus

I've been informed (not by an official source) that there are THREE Cardiff e400s on loan to Go-South Coast.
They're on a short stay while go ahead put the roofs back on the open tops. I believe it's around a month.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterSpenny

2x Scania Fencer f1s: CN73AZX and CN73AZZ. Which operator is this for?
I can now confirm that these are for Cardiff Bus. CN73AZZ is said to have fleet code 702.
(399 is the double decker also in the picture)
Here are the shots of @cardiffbus 702 and 399 seen in Barry during the CTPG Twilight running event @davc32001

trainuser231

Is there anyway of seeing the stock allocation for a route the day before for Cardiff bus, or is it random each day?

MCR247

Established Member
Is there anyway of seeing the stock allocation for a route the day before for Cardiff bus, or is it random each day?
I think it depends on what you’re asking? I’m sure you can find the previous days allocation on Bustimes.org to get an idea of what it’ll be like the next day. But to find out the next days allocations before they’ve left seems unlikely.