• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central -after an Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBY-Paul

I've just been reading another forum related to an event my wife and I are attending at the Millennium stadium. The discussion surrounds getting back to Reading after the event, and the fact that due to the queuing situation, in the past, some people have not been allowed on the platform in time to catch trains they have seat reservations on.
We have booked two advanced singles (with DSB) on the last direct train back to Reading at 8.25pm. What happens if we are still stuck in the queue, and not allowed to get on board our booked train?
As a disabled passenger, would we get some sort of assistance, either booked or not? or Would it help matters if we booked assistance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TBY-Paul

It's unfortunate that the event we are attending could finish at 7.45pm or 8.45pm(or later) depending on circumstances. If it was running late we were quite prepared to leave early to catch the train we are booked on because it was important that a) we have seats b) avoided unnecessary changes (we could have booked the 9.00pm train, but that involved a change a Bristol).
I'm just a little worried, in case the event finishes around 7.45. With our Mobility problems I could foresee the crowds passing us as we make our way to the station, and ending up at the back of the queue and not being allowed on our booked train.

Red Dragon

I regularly attend rugby matches at the Millennium Stadium, and you will get assistance and bypass the queuing.

When you arrive at Cardiff Central on the train from Reading go back along the platform towards the rear of the train and here you'll find the lifts. Go down in the lift and turn left as you leave the lift - this bypasses the stairs and the queues and takes you down to the front exit at street level. The Millennium Stadium is straight ahead or left depending on your tickets.

As you exit (it's now all on the level) seek assistance - usually plenty about just before the ticket barriers, and ask for details of how you get back up to the platforms after the event and bypass the queues.

When you get back to the station there are about 6 queues set out with barriers which are all clearly signed, Swansea, Paddington etc
You should bypass these - and make your way back to the lifts via the main entrance to the station.

You will then use the same lifts you came down in, on arrival, and it's usually platform 1 for Reading and Paddington.

Let me know which entrance Number is on your ticket and I should be able to give you directions from the station.
Hope this helps.

TBY-Paul

Thanks Red Dragon, that's very useful information. We enter via gate 7 , the tickets we booked were chosen because we thought these were the nearest seats that gave access to the station that involved the least amount of walking. We try to plan things to cause the least amount of problems and the least amount of fuss. It was just reading the other forum I started to get a little concerned.

Red Dragon

You have chosen the best and nearest entrance - it's the one I use to get to my seats for the rugby.

On exiting the station turn left before the bus station area and keep the railway and the station on your left (level access). Then cross the road and you'll see entrances 6 and 7 over to your left.

Follow the signs and you then cross the paved area and you'll have your ticket checked before going through the barriers and the staff should guide you to your seat.

Hope you enjoy the event - the atmosphere is electric particularly when the roof is closed.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Red Dragon

This map might clarify Red Dragon's excellent postings above.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x486e1cb222c91dd1:0xa7c6bb30813ea2c9?hl=en

You are heading out of the station along Central Sq, crossing Wood St then going left of the Vue Cinema into Stadium Plaza. Gates 6 & 7 are at the top of the Plaza (on the map between the strange sticking out bits, alongside the river)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...e1!3m3!1s0S4sL1xCkiFeqwHxL8x8pw!2e0!3e5?hl=en

Well done Llanigraham - that's excellent. TBY Paul should be fine with your map.

I was involved in building the Millenium Stadium and have 2 debenture seats at the Stadium so I'm reasonably familiar with the place, and the WRU and Cardiff Blues Rugby Club next door ! ? ! ?

TBY Paul, when you go to the stadium, you'll notice that there are 3 tiers on 3 sides, but only 2 tiers on the North side. There was an argument between Cardiff Rugby Club and the WRU, Cardiff Rugby Club wanted a lot of money to allow the old North stand to be demolished - Cardiff's stand and the old North stand were back to back and were an integral structure. There was a protracted argument and time was running out and the job had to be started so no money was paid to Cardiff by the WRU and the old stand stayed. Hence only 2 tiers on the North stand.

Further complications on air rights ensued leading to a complete re-design of the roof because the new structure could not over-sail Cardiff Rugby Club's land. Lots more steel had to go into the roof to take the skew loadings along with a major re-design of the structure to take these additional loads through to the foundations, with the resultant cost over-runs - but it still got built on time amazingly !
Interestingly it was built by the same crew who built the Second Severn Crossing.

By the way when you enter the Severn Tunnel on your train from Reading to Cardiff you will actually travel between the piled foundations of two of the Second Severn Crossing viaduct piers. The line of the bridge crosses the Severn Tunnel at this point. The loads were taken down below the tunnel to avoid surcharging the Severn Tunnel.
Thought this info might add a bit of interest to your visit.
Enjoy your event !

Last edited:

TBY-Paul

First of all I like to thank everyone for the invaluable information. We attended the Millennium Stadium last night, and as it happened the event finished at 8.00pm'ish and we got caught up with the crowds going to the station, But as advised, we made our way to the Disabled entrance and got access to the platform without a problem.

The journey back to Reading was not without incident. The window next to us appeared to get struck by an object (air rifle shot???) and shattered on the outside of the laminate.
It happended within seconds of coming out of a Tunnel (between Bristol Parkway and Swindon). The train was held at Didcot whilst the damage was inspected, and at first we were told to move in to seat elsewhere in the carriage.
Eventually the decision was taken to move everyone from Coach's C,B & A and these three coaches were locked out of use. We eventually arrived into Reading some 45mins late. I noticed it seamed to stay in the platform for quite a while before setting off.

Looking at Realtime the train arrived into Paddington 58mins.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47230/2014/07/12/advanced

All in All it was quite an adventure.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Glad you got home safely Paul. I travelled to Manchester today next to some chaps who had been at the Speedway last night and stayed over - going by the crowded train I'd think quite a lot of people did that!

Your thread has made me wonder about the situation for non-disabled travellers who have reserved seats on a specific train after such an event. Are their reservations not worth having, if everyone has to join the queues regardless?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Reservations from Cardiff after an event at the Millennium Stadium effectively don't apply. You queue up by destination outside on the forecourt outside the station and a 'train full' of passengers are allowed onto the platform a few minutes prior to departure.

Don't turn up at the station a few minutes before departure with reservations as you'll be directed to the back of the queue!

Given the numbers involved it's really the only way they can do it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hard luck if you haven't been to the event, and just booked a normal journey.

That would be unfortunate but no different to any other station serving a large venue after an event. Or indeed the road network in similar circumstances.

I was in Cardiff a couple of months ago and forthcoming dates of events at the Millennium Stadium were widely publicised along with advice advising against travel unless attending the event.

trainophile

Established Member
Yeah I can understand the difficulties, and from what I've read on twitter the rail operators do seem to do an excellent job in getting people home after these occasions.

Another question - when they count people through to board a train, do they estimate it so that everyone will have a seat, or do they allow for a number to be standing?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They don't allow crush loading but some people will have to stand.

When I last travelled back following rugby at the Millennium I had to stand but was able to get a seat after Swindon. This despite the fact that I had a reservation for the train I was travelling on but there was no chance of getting through the train to try and claim it.

It was simply a case of being pleased to get on and moving towards London!

trainophile

Established Member
In view of your earlier comments, I wonder if they even bother putting reservation slips out.

Thanks for all the info, I've often wondered about these things :D .

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They were certainly put out on the day I travelled but I have also heard that sometimes they don't bother. Remember the London trains usually start at Swansea so people travelling from stations between Swansea and Cardiff will claim their seats in the usual way.

It's not unheard of for FGW to arrange an additional London train or two to help clear the crowds.

TBY-Paul

Our train had the reservation slips out and I must admit the train seamed to be OK, there didn't appear to be many, if any, standing. But some of the more local trains before ours were well loaded.

I should add, because we were in Coach C, most of the people who made there way down our end of the platform/train had reservation. Those coaches nearest the subway stairs may have been fuller.

Last edited:

Established Member
The crowd control measures seemed to work well on Saturday. However as there was no more than about 50,000 at the Speedway it wasn't a full test, (but a good crowd for a Speedway meeting).

Before the event departure screens at various stations advised there would be a queuing system in place afterwards, and on arrival at Cardiff Central we were given a map of where to go to ensure you went towards the right queue.

Talking to one of the crowd control guys, he listed their three worst problems are alcohol fuelled passengers, rain, and late trains, in that order. Luckily we had none of those apart from the one person who had one too many.

Sorry to hear of the problems on the London train, that would have been my train back usually.

TBY-Paul

From what I've learnt, the majority of the crowd on Saturday tended to be staying overnight in the local area. The event is tied into another Speedway event on Friday at the Oaktree arena, Somerset (Burnham-on-sea). So lots of British fans stay overnight on Friday and Saturday and make a weekend of it..

You also get a lot of Poles, Americans, Aussies. Danes and other Scandinavians who make it a "Big Weekend" event, and they tend to stay in Cardiff/Bristol (Cardiff having a roof is a big plus, unlike other rounds on the GP calendar). All of which would be a factor in the demand, or lack of, at Cardiff Central.

It's only in recent years that the start time has been brought forward, from 7.00pm to 5.00pm, to allow people the opportunity to get further away more easily, and encourage people to attend without the added cost of a hotel room.

As we didn't decided to go till June, we found it difficult to get a conveniently located hotel in Cardiff/Bristol area, and after having a look at where we could get too by train afterwards, we settled on a Hotel near Reading Station.

We are already thinking about going again next year, and considering how well things went, just a few minor tweaks needed, I wouldn't rule out staying in the Reading area again.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
TBY-Paul,
Try booking a hotel in Barry for next year. Much cheaper than Cardiff and lots of trains between the 2.
If we go down to Cardiff to stay that is what we always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.