• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

career progression for train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennito

hey just wondered what the normal route of career progression was once you were a train driver, where could you go if you wanted to change still within the rail industry ? what do most drivers do ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
To most, driving is the top job. Few look at progressing their careers. Some do go into management so perhaps become instructor drivers then driver managers and perhaps look to going into training or operations management whilst keeping their key but those jobs often arnt exactly a promotion.

Some drivers with an interest in the job may look at intercity TOCs, I know a few drivers who have gone to east coast as they wanted to sign HSTs but for the vast majority being a driver is good enough and with the money, job security, work/life balance, available overtime and final salary pension many see no reason to risk promotion.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
As someone who will shortly be starting as a driver I am right at the beginning of what will be a long path. Are there any more experienced/retired drivers on here who can give advice on, given hindsight, on what is a nice/advisable career path. I personally really enjoyed training up youngsters in my old career so in the future a driver trainer would appeal.*I have always in the past been loyal to an employer ( I only worked for 2 firms in 20 years!) Is loyalty rewarded in the modern railway? Or is it best to change TOC occasionally to keep yourself fresh? Thx

Beveridges

Established Member
Is loyalty rewarded in the modern railway?

Not usually. In my TOC, all you get is an extra 2 days annual leave if you have been there for over 15 years.

Or is it best to change TOC occasionally to keep yourself fresh?

If you see a TOC that has a better job than the job you have got, yes

bennito

thanks a driver thats good to hear id like the opportunity to be a instructor driver. this has really helped. top lad

TDK

Established Member
As someone who will shortly be starting as a driver I am right at the beginning of what will be a long path. Are there any more experienced/retired drivers on here who can give advice on, given hindsight, on what is a nice/advisable career path. I personally really enjoyed training up youngsters in my old career so in the future a driver trainer would appeal.*I have always in the past been loyal to an employer ( I only worked for 2 firms in 20 years!) Is loyalty rewarded in the modern railway? Or is it best to change TOC occasionally to keep yourself fresh? Thx

You will most likely need 5 years driving before you are considered for any management roles in the driving/driver training grade.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hey just wondered what the normal route of career progression was once you were a train driver, where could you go if you wanted to change still within the rail industry ? what do most drivers do ?

Most drivers stay as drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.