• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Railway Station Overnighters 1985-1989

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemal

Established Member
Hi All

Does any member have any overnighter locomotive lists from Carlisle station from the above years?
I am interested in the shear variety of workings that went through the station overnight and the shear volume of locomotives seen.
I cannot find information sources for this of information. Perhaps there is a website or blog out there for that type of archive information.

Thank you very much

Kemal Ali

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP62

I did an overnight in Carlisle with a group of guys from Edinburgh during the Penmanshiel blockage in 1979 and the traffic was amazing. We based ourselves in a car park to the north of the station between the main line and avoiding line so we could see everything. There was the odd diverted sleeper using the avoiding line due to congestion in the station - crew changes at Bog Junction apparently.

There may be someone on here that has records of this - sadly all mine are long gone!

Basher

I've have some, will sort them out when I return home from a short break at Lincoln.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I never did an overnight on Carlisle, but did a few on Crewe. A great hive of activity with sleeper and parcels trains, along with other seated passenger trains like the York-Shrewsbury (mail, with half a coach seated) and the Holyhead overnight.

Ken H

On Moderation
I was living in Northumberland in 1978 and frequently went to the lakes for a weekend. i'd get the late train from Newcastle to Carlisle, doss in the waiting room on the island platform, then get the first train to Penrith.
Seem to remember lots of early electric loco activity - classes 81 - 85 - because they were so noisy

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did a couple of Carlisle overnighters in the 80's. There were several sleeper services, parcels trains, postal trains, freightliner trains to and from Glasgow Gushetfaulds and Coatbridge and "Speedlink" trains to and from Mossend. Almost without exception these were all electric hauled unless they were routed via Hexham or Dumfries. It was often said that this part of the WCML was busier during the night than during the day - it certainly felt like it!

kemal

Established Member
Hi Mag_seven

Do you have any of those records/lists of what you saw through Carlisle Station in the 1980's?

Thanks

Kemal Ali

delt1c

Established Member
Spent many nights at carlisle in the mid 70's and was a hive of activity.

Ken H

On Moderation
I lived by the skipton-carlisle line in the early 1980's and there were loads of unfitted freights. Does anyone remember these going through Carlisle? Cl 40/45/46 haualge I think.

kemal

Established Member
Hi Basher

Have you had any luck finding your Carlisle Overnighter lists please?

Thank you very much

Kemal Ali

Basher

Hi Basher

Have you had any luck finding your Carlisle Overnighter lists please?

Thank you very much

Kemal Ali
Yes found a complete list for Friday 10th Aug 1990, I have attached 5 photographs from my spotters book. Any problem in reading them just get in-
touch.T1.jpg T1.jpg

Attachments

• T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • T4.jpg
    T4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36

kemal

Established Member
Hi Basher

Thank you for the brilliant lists above, they are great. This is a fascinating variety of different locos and freight and passenger from that era. Do you have any other lists from Carlisle?

Regards

Kemal Ali

Basher

Attached a copy of my excel work book of the colour slides I took at Carlisle.
Part of the book shows Green Arrow which we travelled on from Newcastle. The day was an open day at Upelby Depot

Attachments

• Carlisle.xlsx
    27.6 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.