• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Station Improvements

D6130

Established Member
Given the commercial management of Avanti is likely very similar to the team who weren't exactly stupid when it was Virgin, I suspect that there may have been pressure from above Avanti to put rents up.
Is it not the case that commercial operators of units on TOC-managed stations still pay their rent to Network Rail? I believe that to be the case with the station café at Hebden Bridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is it not the case that commercial operators of units on TOC-managed stations still pay their rent to Network Rail? I believe that to be the case with the station café at Hebden Bridge.
I don't know the ins and outs of the contractual situation I'm afraid.

themiller

Given the commercial management of Avanti is likely very similar to the team who weren't exactly stupid when it was Virgin, I suspect that there may have been pressure from above Avanti to put rents up.
It’ll all be fine when the entrepreneurs arrive to run the franchises!

For those familiar with the area, the mini roundabout into that area off James Street, is having traffic lights installed now instead of said roundabout. Be interesting to see how this affects traffic flow!

Had an appointment in Carlisle today, so swung round that way. Big mistake! They were removing the temporary lights, whilst the new ones were still covered up. Chaotic is the word!

themiller

Had an appointment in Carlisle today, so swung round that way. Big mistake! They were removing the temporary lights, whilst the new ones were still covered up. Chaotic is the word!
I was there today to see 807002 pass through the station and the electricians were still doing connections to the lights. I saw the heavy plant being removed from the demolition compound at the pools and Staples so I suppose that it’s been off-hired until the new year.

The Tesco on Victoria Viaduct is also permanently closed. Seems that the whole area around the station is going to rack and ruin.

The buildings opposite are being readied to become the new university site.

All those big empty buildings over the road? Expect a swathe of new accomodation for students soon!

brad465

Established Member
The buildings opposite are being readied to become the new university site.

All those big empty buildings over the road? Expect a swathe of new accomodation for students soon!
That accommodation is going to cost an absolute fortune, student housing is costly enough as it is (I've managed to rent cheaper in later years after graduating while also earning a lot more than a student income), but being right next to an Intercity station is extremely attractive for students, more so than a typical passenger I imagine.

themiller

The Tesco on Victoria Viaduct is also permanently closed. Seems that the whole area around the station is going to rack and ruin.
The reason for the closure of the Tesco shop was given as the problem with the roof being constructed using Reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) in the roof. I have no idea what’ll happen to the building but both repairs and demolition will be disruptive.

The demolition of the old pools at the back of the station is due to start today, the Council have emphasised that the adjacent Turkish Baths will be protected, and will take approximately six weeks.