• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Station Improvements

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

Rather OT, I realise....but perhaps the team could be usefully employed at Chester once they've finished at Carlisle.
Considering that they've been working for 8 months on 3 platforms, it could be some time before they finish (as long as the money doesn't run out). Five more platform faces to go (4 to 8).

sara388r

He does of course assume all the passenger trains will stop, which isn't certain as I believe various service specs have suggested they wouldn't fishing lures. But lengthening the platforms indicates

Last edited:

YorksLad12

Established Member

themiller

Dips *and* curves, or is it just the camera/lens combination in the first photo?
To my eyes, the platform surface has been set to the track so any dips and curves are there to keep the stepping distance and height constant.
I’ve been there today and the tarmac has started.

themiller

Latest visit to the station shows that the platform surface of P3 is finished with only the NR area at the north end at the bottom of the ramp to finish. New markings have appeared on P4 suggesting that no more work is going ahead in the near future suggesting that rumours of no more funds are true.

themiller

It’s been a while since my last update but it appears that platforms 1- 3 are substantially complete but tactile tiles have been fitted to platforms 4 - 7 which leads me to think that further platform work is some time off. I assume that tactile tiles will be applied to platform 8 but I’m not heading over to the station until my isolation period’s over at the weekend.
Platform 8 has had tactile tiles applied and the announcements that there are no tactile edges on platforms have ceased. Around the service vehicle area at the bottom of the ramp from the road bridge, the Armco barrier is finished and granite blocks have been placed to prevent road vehicles from inadvertently straying onto the platforms.
809FB3AC-B3AB-499A-8106-248DB8955166.jpeg95F1E45C-9D43-486F-8776-AB26B2403E73.jpeg

Last edited:
Lancaster station is the best station but Carlisle station is good.

301 Miles pub has gone bust I have just seen it with my own eyes it is now shut forever.

bearhugger

301 Miles pub has gone bust I have just seen it with my own eyes it is now shut forever.
Has it definitely gone bust? According to their last Facebook post:
301 Miles is now permanently closed. It was not an option to renew the lease. Thank you for all your support and custom over the years. Thank you to all the great staff and their hard work.
I've bolded the relevant part - is that just a fancy way of saying they've gone bust or was there an issue with the lease?

themiller

From the rumour-mill at the station, it was a combination of personal circumstances and Avanti putting up rent by a substantial percentage that made it unviable. Whatever the truth, everyone has lost - Avanti have lost the rent, customers have lost the choice of eateries on the station, and suppliers have reduced turnover.

bearhugger

Whenever I went spotting at Carlisle, there was always people in there. I enjoyed their bacon butties. As an aside I hope Avanti haven't increase the rent for the little TukTuk coffee vendor that was right next to the main exit.

D6130

Established Member
As an aside I hope Avanti haven't increase the rent for the little TukTuk coffee vendor that was right next to the main exit.
Me too....He's a very nice chap and he's been there for years. When I was driving on the Settle-Carlisle line I was a regular customer and often chatted with him or his wife. They drive all the way from Blackburn every day with the tuk-tuk in the back of their van.

Hello,

I was at Carlisle on Tuesday and talked to some of the staff about 301.

Avanti are going to undertake some work and then put another tenant in. I can’t wait! It’ll be wonderful.

Lemmy99uk

They drive all the way from Blackburn every day with the tuk-tuk in the back of their van.
That would be some commitment, and some journey in adverse weather!

Fortunately, the tuk-tuk is permanently stored at the station and is wheeled onto the platform and back to storage as required.

He does drive himself from Blackburn each day though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The seeming demise of the station bar is of some concern.

More recently, they didn't have much on cask, but they had some decent bottled beer options.

They also did a decent veggie sausage sandwich as I recall.

We need it back !!

Peter0124

Established Member
Was nice to see that the Piano got removed. The placement of it wasn't great being right by the picnic benches in the grass area.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Was nice to see that the Piano got removed. The placement of it wasn't great being right by the picnic benches in the grass area.

Surely that depends on who was playing :)

(Although, admittedly we can't all be Russ Conway!)

themiller

Road signs are up at the back of the station ready for the demolition of Staples in preparation for the redevelopment of that side of the station. I understand that access will still be available to the station car park through Water Street but the old pools car park is to shut during demolition work.

Carlisle

Established Member
The seeming demise of the station bar is of some concern.
Maybe usage was hampered by opening hours that were always a bit hit & miss, whereas the pub on Lancaster Station is open midday-10 pm daily I understand.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maybe usage was hampered by opening hours that were always a bit hit & miss, whereas the pub on Lancaster Station is open midday-10 pm daily I understand.

This is a very good point. There were a couple of times around mid-day when it was operational but not open when I wanted to use it.

Unusual opening hours have definitely become more common since covid.

Demolition has begun on the old Staples store on the ‘other’ side of the station. Seems the old swimming pool will go in January too.

For those familiar with the area, the mini roundabout into that area off James Street, is having traffic lights installed now instead of said roundabout. Be interesting to see how this affects traffic flow!

themiller

More details from the local paper: https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/24001206.full-steam-ahead-carlisle-station-gateway-project/
When I passed earlier today, the demolition of Staples was essentially complete with only debris removal to complete. The mini roundabout was removed last weekend with the junction relaid for the new traffic lights which have been installed. The contractor’s compound at the north end of the old pools building has been cleared - presumably to facilitate demolition of the pools. No work has yet started on the station itself nor Court Square.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
From the rumour-mill at the station, it was a combination of personal circumstances and Avanti putting up rent by a substantial percentage that made it unviable. Whatever the truth, everyone has lost - Avanti have lost the rent, customers have lost the choice of eateries on the station, and suppliers have reduced turnover.

When will these half-wit companies learn. Another unproductive empty space to maintain.

zwk500

Veteran Member
When will these half-wit companies learn. Another unproductive empty space to maintain.
Given the commercial management of Avanti is likely very similar to the team who weren't exactly stupid when it was Virgin, I suspect that there may have been pressure from above Avanti to put rents up.