• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnet tickets vs monthly passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lufcjack

Hi all, new to the forum so please be nice...

I'm about to start a new job which will, in time, see me working two days a week from home. My remit is words, not numbers, so I was wondering if someone might be able to help me work out whether it would make sense to stick with monthly tickets or get carnets? (I've ruled out annual...)

Essentially the carnet is about £100 more than a monthly ticket, but obviously I'd save a big wad of cash when I'm on holiday, etc.

Any help appreciated!

(PS - hello to any fellow Stowmarket commuters..)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Why would you save money when you're on holiday? Wouldn't you just start/end your season ticket around your holiday dates?

lufcjack

Why would you save money when you're on holiday? Wouldn't you just start/end your season ticket around your holiday dates?

I'd save money if i was using carnets - because I wouldn't use/buy any tickets when I know I'm off work for a couple of weeks.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd save money if i was using carnets - because I wouldn't use/buy any tickets when I know I'm off work for a couple of weeks.
You can get season tickets for any period, not just monthly. So just get a shorter/longer ticket either side of your leave.

CheapAndNerdy

When you buy a monthly season ticket, you are not restricted to buying one for exactly one month: you can buy a ticket for any period greater than a month (eg 1 month 2 days, 1 month 2 weeks and 3 days, 2 months 1 day etc).

So when you buy your ticket add as many days as necessary to take you to the last day of the week in which you have to take the train. You can then buy your next ticket starting from the next day you have to travel.

For example: if you will be travelling Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, buy a monthly ticket plus as many days as needed so it ends on a Thursday. Your next ticket will then start on the following Monday, meaning that you save by not having to pay for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If you know in advance when you will be taking a whole week or two off you can plan ahead to ensure that your monthly+ ticket is valid up until your last day of travel before your leave starts.

lufcjack

Thanks CheapandNerdy - that's very helpful (though have had to re-read it a few times to understand it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.